3 replies [Last post]
.338 Winchester Magnum

I have a .338 Winchester Magnum that I'll be using for an Alaska moose hunt.  I'll be using 250 grain Buffalo Bore rounds.  I'm confident that as long as I do my part, (place the round in the kill zone), this set-up will be fine for moose.  I'd like to know if anyone has used a .338 Winchester to hunt / stop a brown bear charge and how if performed.  Is this enough gun for this purpose?

Thanks,

Moose Chaser

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Your choice of weapon and

Your choice of weapon and ammo will work just fine for a moose and or a charging grizzly. 

However you may want to check into bear spray for the grizzly.  It has been proven quite effective at stopping a charging bear with no harm to either the bear or the hunter. 

.338 Winchester Magnum

Thanks Critter; I appreciate it.

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Bear Spray

Being intimately familiar with carrying  a handgun and pepper spray I'd opt to carry both along with my rifle. 

With that said your rifle and load should be able to do the job if you can put your bullets where they need to be. I've not faced a charging bear, nor hunted Alaska yet, but like a few of us here I'm not a stranger to dangerous situations. Accuracy is usually the first thing to go and many people won't stand their ground when danger presents itself. 

Biker 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like