48 replies [Last post]
.338 Win Mag

Back in 1978 when I bought my Wichester Model 70 .338 mag. Winchester offered 3 factory loads,a 200gr. PSP,a 250 gr. silvertip,and a 300gr. that I never tried,because ballistic charts suggested to me it was a slouch.
People in the past don't believe me that Winchester offered the 300 gr. loading. Can someone please confirm this,my old factory data is long lost....

.338 Win Mag

You are correct about the 300 gr pills. Winchester offered a 300 gr. power-point but must have dropped it because I couldn't find a current offering. Thumbs up

.338 Win Mag

Yes!! Thank you,I knew I was right.I wish I had some old 70's data to prove it.
As far as I'm cocerned a 300 gr. bullet does not suit a .338,a 250gr. is perfect, No more ,no less.Unless for smaller game than moose of course...
I would not shoot a deer with it and there are really few Elk here.
Just a moose load for me...

Don Fischer's picture
.338 Win Mag

I've had two 338 mag's but have never used factory ammo. I do have loading data for 275gr Speer's and for a 300gr in an old Hodgdon manuaal and in the Lee manual. Don't think I would want to shoot one tho. I shot a box of 250gr stuff. I can't imagine anything in North America that need's more killing than that!

.338 Win Mag

A .338 with 250 gr. bullets will take care of anything in N.A.
A very famous hunting guide(Grizz hunts) was mauled badly in Bear Lake.He gave up his 30.06 and got a .338 and killed the bear that maulled him a year later.He said"All that 30.06 did was make that bear fat." Supposedly he found all his former bullets in it.
But I don't hunt what I can't eat,and I hate greasy bear meat so I don't hunt them.
But the .338 protects me while I camp in bear country,I used it once...Death for the bear was instant.

.338 Win Mag

I'm going to have to agree and disagree with duga boy. The 338 win mag is by and far the most superior plains game rifle (proportional to recoil). It's flatter shooting and hits with a lot more energy than a 375 H&H past about 200 yards. However, I am a big fan of the ole' 375, but, instead of bringing a 375 for a plains game rifle, bring a 338 win mag. And, bring a 416 remy or rigby for everything else. You will be covered head to toe. If needs be, you can load the 416 down to 350 grain bullets and use it as a plains game rifle. The 375 is the gun that can do all, but doesn't really do anything better than the other rifles that specialize in its category. The 338 win mag is a better plains game rifle, and the 416 is a better big game rifle. For the two gun safari, take a 338 and 416 or 458. The 35 Whelen is also a keeper plains game rifle.

.338 Win Mag

Yes,when you look at a ballistics chart you see the .375 and the .450 type guns.Then look out at 300 yards,the ,338 is hitting harder. Big smile
It is an amazing calibre.
I bought a 8mm magnum same time I bought the .338,I couldn't decide.But the 8mm seem to have a poor choice of bullet weights back then,so I sold it.

.338 Win Mag

That .338 split my head with the scope twice,yes I made a poor choice of a scope,not enough eye relief.The last time it happened I had an hour drive to get home,blotting the blood off between my eyes with my sock! Laugh It's all I had for a bandage....

.338 Win Mag

And the recoil flattens the nice pointy tips of the bullets in the magazine.... Cry

.338 Win Mag

Kestrel- You really won't ever reasonably need anything other than a .338 win mag unless you go to Africa and are after cape buffs and/or eles. If that turns out to be the case, or if you just want a big bad bore rifle (as so many of us do), my vote would be for the .416 remy. I've got both a remy and a rigby and love them both. The difference being, the remy factory and handloading costs are much cheaper, and they are easier to find in Africa. The 416 Rigby is however, the sexier (although it's a much bigger casing requiring heavier rifles) of the two calibers.... it also kicks slightly more than the remmy because it burns more powder at lower pressures. Also, the hysteria about the remington acting up in hot weather because its high pressures is just that, hysteria.

Orrrr, if you handload, go for the .458 Lott. You can shoot 458 winnys through it and can download those to levels equaling a hot 45/70. You can also load smaller bullets and use it as a plains game rifle. It really is the most versatile big bore rifle for handloaders.