48 replies [Last post]
tim
.338 Win Mag

I won one at a RMEF banquet in 1996. I personally like it. I also had a muzzle break installed before i shot it. I feel very confident with this gun. The muzzle brake is the key for me though. Great gun. Little over kill for deer, but works great on elk.

.338 Win Mag

Back a number of years ago, when I could still handle the recoil, I shot a .338 Win Mag a lot. I really liked that caliber. For deer, I handloaded a load to the old .348 Winchester level. It was devestating on deer, with light recoil.
I suppose my experience with the .338 Win Mag is why I am attracted to the new .338 Federal cartridge. I like bigger bullets and how they perform on game.

scope

I have a Leupold 2.5-8 on mine and have the scope moved as far forward as it can go and still get a full field of view. There is plenty of eye relief. I do not have a heavy build, 6 ft and 165 lbs, and the recoil is OK from hunting stances. Prone is no fun and neither is shooting hunched over from a bench. I usually shoot the 250 grain. My Model 70 came with BOSS so it had a brake but I switched to the "conventional recoil" muzzle weight because I prefer to get beat up by the recoil vs the muzzle blast. The blast is bad at a covered range and also in hunting situations when I don't have hearing protection on.

.338 Win Mag
WeatherbyScott wrote:
I have one but shelved it for the 338-378 weatherby mag. as far as the winchester goes its a great all around cartridge if you could only own one gun. it really does dominate ALASKA with the 250gr bullets and yes it is a brute on both ends. Thumbs up

Laugh Laugh Laugh

The 338 Win Mag is a very well ballanced cartridge, and the No1 cartridge used in Alaska, but a close second is the 375 H&H, which is a better cartridge, and is legal for all game world wide!

IMO, the 338-378 is way over bore capacity, and if anyone thinks the 338 WM is a brute on both ends, he certainly doesn't want to pick up a 338-378 WBY!

IMO, a better choice than either of those two, is the 340 WBY Mag, but not in a push feed WBY rifle! For use on anything that bites back,my pick would be a pre-64, or new CRF Winchester mod 70, or a Whitworth African Express re-barreled!

The 340 WBY MAG is a cartridge that has flat enough trejectory, for mountian shooting on things like doll sheep, but has less recoil than the 338-378, and is powerfull enough for anything in North America. Still, if you ever intend going to Africa, for any of the big five, larger than a leopard, then the 375 H&H is better than either of them, firstly because it is legal, and secondly ammo is easily found in any country in the world where hunting of big game is legal, and will also handle anything on the North American contenant! Believe it or not, any of the tree will kill whitetail very well! lol

.338 Win Mag

In about 1995 a read an extensive article in a hunting or shooting magazine on how to build a"375HH improved". The ballistics were fantastic!
Yes the Holand and Holand (H&H)is a part of huntimg history!It will always be with us. A different league than the .338 I think.

.338 WinMag

The older I get the bigger the rifle I use. I started out with a .303 British and now I'm using the .375 H&H. I've got a .416 Taylor being built for 2009 and who knows what beyond that. About the .338 WinMag - I used it for several years in Alaska and Africa and it did everything it was supposed to do on the animals it was meant to be used on. It was my favorite caliber and would still be today if I hadn't started hunting in Africa exclusively. I still take the .338 to Africa for plains game, along with the .375. If I ever start hunting Alaska again I would be more than likely take the .338 only.

you'll fall in love with that .338 WinMag,
rainydayhunter

.338 Win Mag

Nothing, at teast nothing with reassonable recoil, has got the long range knock down power of the 338. It is a favorite in africa as a plains game and might be the perfect elk gun. I've got a 338 in a Ruger 77. When I guided elk hunts in Colorado several years ago, it was my gun of choice. However, I now prefer the 35 whelen simply because it's nearly as effective out to 200 yards and it causes less meat damage in smaller game. If you use a 338 on smaller game, I'd suggest using at least a 225 grain bullet. The smaller bullets have too much velocity and will literally blow a basketball size hole out the back of a white tail. Recoil is sharper than 375, but manageable with good recoil pad and a heavier rifle.

.338 Win Mag

I just moved up from a .303 British to a .338 win mag, and although I've only taken it out shooting once, and haven't gotten a chance to zero it in properly, I love it so far.

I'm curious though - it didn't have near the kick I was afraid it would. I was firing 225 grain Federal ammo, and my rifle is a Tikka T3 Lite. Was I just firing low recoil ammo, or did I get lucky, and get a gun that handles the recoil well?

I'm pretty much a Newbie, so I'm learning as I go. However, if the kick I experienced is normal - I'm kinda tempted to get something bigger down the road - although the .338 sounds like it should take care of anything I ever have a practical need for.

.338 WinMag

I would rather shoot 50 rounds of .338 WinMag than 5 rounds of .303 British. My first deer rifle, which I bought in downtown San Francisco in 1962, was the Enfield No.1 Mk I and that kicked the hell out of me. Just finished firing 50 rounds of .338 (225 and 250 gr) and that didn't bother me as much as that Jungle Carbine. The .338 is not a gun that I would use as my target gun but for hunting it is hard to beat. I don't think I am even aware of its recoil when I am hunting. I would also feel very adequately equipped with the .338 WinMag if I could only have one gun for hunting anywhere in the world (except Africa).

good luck with the .338,
rainydayhunter

.338 Win Mag

My .303 doesn't kick all that hard, but it's not a carbine either, it's got a decent amount of weight to tame it. My .338 kicks no harder than my cousin's .30-06 though, so it's not much problem either. The 30-06 hurt a little the first time I fired it, but I'd never fired anything bigger than a .22 at that point in time... now that I've done some shooting - I appreciate that the .338 lets me know it's there, but I don't find it troublesome at all.

If I DO get a bigger rifle down the road, it'll probably be just because I want a "big bad" gun... not really a good reason to get a gun I suppose, but I might do it all the same Evil! But for now - I have no plans to be hunting in Africa, so I think the .338 will more than suffice.