9 replies [Last post]
Is 338 win mag too much for hogs

I have the chance to go hog hunting this summer in california. I am by far more accurate with my 338 win mag than i am with any of my other guns (i own a 30-30, a 30 Rem, a 25-35 win, as well as my 338). Would my 338 damage too much meat? Just not sure which gun to go with. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Is the 338 win mag too big for Hogs?

Plain and simple: No.

338 win mag for hogs

Hi buddy,

Well about the California black russian boar. Well I would for sure go with the
338 win mag. These pigs are big and mean and they will charge you when hit.
We hunted a few yrs ago in the Colinga (SP) hills in Cali and came upon this big hog. My buddy shot it with a 30 30 and you could see it was hit because of the dirt flying off its back. It looked up looked around and went on rooting. He shot again and hit it. This time making the hog jump. She saw us and started charging, well he pumped 3 more rounds in to her hitting every time and she kept coming. Well by this time I needed a good change of boxers. With about 25 yards from her and us my buddy pulled out his 44 mag hit it 2 more times as it ran past us and was down for the count. I don't know about other hunts but that was enough for me to make me go out and buy a Weatherby 338 win mag. These hogs are not like the AZ Javleinas running around. Good luck buddy. Hope that helps somewhat.

I have to say my friend, that I believe the 338 is more gun than what is required to kill a feral hog. I just recently killed my first hog in March, down in South Carolina. I purchased a browning medalion in 300 Win Mag, just for this hunt. When I arrived down in South Carolina and spoke with the guides, I decided to use my back up rifle. I shot my hog behind the ear with a .257Roberts. My younger brother also came along and dropped his boar with a .243Win. Both of us killed our hogs with one single shot.
So take what ever weapon you feel most comfortable with, and which ever one fits to your hunting style. However don't let people tell you that you need a canon to kill a hog, one well placed shot with a rifle will drop one.

While what you said is correct... I would like to say a few things:

I have seen pictures of wild hogs from CA that had 3" of cartilage around the shoulder area. These guys like to fight each other, and many have the scars to prove it. They develop heavy duty "shielding" to prevent internal organs from being damaged.

Behind the ear shots will drop the baddest of them all. BUT I personally cannot guarantee a behind the ear shot from more than 60 yards. While most of the hogs here ARE shot under 100yds, in CA taking a 200 or 300 yd shot is not uncommon. Maybe 25% to 30% of hogs being taken 200+ yds.

I am not afraid of a hog attacking me in the least bit, what I'm really afraid of is a less than perfect shot. Do you want to shoot a large russion boar in the shoulder at 150 yds with a 243??? I want to know my bullet will break ANY bone it hits and keep penetrating. I want to knock him down. I want a large exit wound (the fat can close up a small hole). I don't want to track him 1/2 mile on my hands and knees in the type of thick, heavy duty brush they live in!

I don't care as much about overkill as I do about underkill.

Jesse

The key is to take which ever weapon you are most comfortable and accurate with. My shot was a little over 125 yards, as the hog crossed a powerline... between the thick junk they live. I fully agree that I would not want to track a wounded hog into the dense brush they live in. However the key to sucess in any hunt has to do with how much one practices and how accurate they are. If you can not hold consistant grouping at a minimum of 100 yards, you honestly need to practice much more before you consider hunting. If an animal passes out of your comfort range, as hard as this may be, consider allowing him or her to pass on by. By all means take which ever weapon you are most comfortable with. Most individuals do not anticipate for recoil as much from a smaller caliber, and so don't flinch or pull the shot as often. I do understand that each hunter choses thier weapon based on the terrain and game they are hunting as well as there own physical capabilities. Although I feel it is overkill, if you wish to use a .338 feel free to, it will do the job.

Anonymous

Why I don't suppose there is anything in my vault, that is better suited for the taking of big wild hogs in the bush, less it be my .458 Win mag in a model 70 mind you. You just go right ahead and use your .338 mag, Elmer Keith would be proud to know you did so. Big smile

I understand your feeling and I'm not sure about hogs in your area, Im just telling you what I saw. That just scared that you know what of of me. I will stick with the 338 or the 45-70 but I think a 300 is goodf as well. I'm not sure how big the hogs are in your part of the country but I know in California they get pretty big.

Take Care

Anonymous

Only once upon a time a couple of decades ago, when the traditional muzzle loaders were at their peak, I did go hunting wild hogs with a friend of mine. I carried a Hawkin in the 54 caliber and he carried a 50 caliber and 2 pistols that were also 50 caliber. He was dressed for Hollywood and really took things serious in dress. Why he even carried a tomahawk too by golly! We both shot round balls that day on that hog hunt.

We had baited an area for about 2 weeks and left it undistrubed for the most part, only putting out more sour mesh is all at the end of a field grown up with wild oats. Those porkers had come out of the National Forest to feed on the feast served them. I circled around those hogs, as to try and cut off their get away, while my hunting partner tried to pick out a very large bore hog that he knew was running with the herd.

Now just about that time (Saturday morning) a couple of 4 wheelers came flying down through the woods, it spooked those hogs and I tried to place a shot on the big bore running about mid-way back. Those hogs were moving rather quickly and I shouldered the Hawkin rifle. I pulled the trigger and was sure I had hit him solidly. Well, my ball missed it's mark and caught him to far back, I couldn't see a blessed thing for the "smokepoles" discharge afterward.
This big hog was coming for me standing in the open! I just couldn't see what was going on in front of me, a couple of seconds later I heard a surprizing Barooomm! My hunting partner had put a ball in this bore's rib cage also but it still kept coming at yours truely.

He pulled one of those pistols from his belt and let a ball fly toward the big porker! Lucky for me he hit it in the head, which put the hog down for the count. It was only about 10 yards from my family jewels mind you, when it's lights where turned out. Thank goodness my hunting partner had that pistol that day or my goose would have been cooked. Now being castrated by a wild piggy was not in my best interest understand. It pays to carry an extra muzzle loader if you hunt hogs with a smoke pole. eye roll

Wow are ya'll going to war?

Wow guys you sound like you are going to war, LOL. Ya'll would probably freek if you see how some of the boys down here in Georgia hunt hogs. It is not uncomon for ppl down in my area to hunt Wild Hogs with Dogs and a good knife. I'm serious. Thats how lots of ppl hunt them down here.....They turn the bay dogs loose to find the hogs and then when they are located they send their catch dogs in. Once the dogs have ahold of them 2 people will go in and one will grab the back legs and flip the hog and hold it while the other one sticks it in the heart with a knife . A lot of times they will catch them alive and duct tape their legs together or put cuffs on them and take them to a pen and fatten them up and butcher them later.

I havn't been hog hunting with dogs yet.... I have in a treestand and in ground blinds. I am hoping to get up with a few of my freinds and go this summer.

As for their shield. I have found .22 pullets, sticks, gravel, and broke off tusks. Hogs are a tough animal. You'd be supprised what they can put up with.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
hog hunting w/dogs in Kansas?TedH71107/11/2006 10:08 am
Hogs vs. Deer64pilot2311/16/2006 21:32 pm
Hogsjmol011/03/2008 10:27 am
Louisiana HOGsbackstrap110/03/2006 19:46 pm
Hogs in New Mexiconiceshot_smitty006/18/2011 09:05 am