16 replies [Last post]
338 Win. Mag.

I bought my first box of ammo today.  Winchester Supreme 225 gr. Accubonds.  It's only one of many I'm sure to try.  I don't even have my rifle yet, but I'm so stinkin anxious I can't hardly stand it.  So I had to buy something. 

Any opinions on the Accubonds?

BoneCollector's picture
Congratulations

Congratulations. Which manufacturer of the 338 did you get? Got your eye on a scope yet? Gonna hunt with it?

Winchester M70 Supergrade 338

Winchester M70 Supergrade 338 Win. Mag. I can't wait to hunt with it.  It's going to get many years of memories from the field.

scope: Leupold VX6 2-12 with #4 illum. 

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
One thing that you might want

One thing that you might want to check on where you are planning on hunting is if a illuminated reticle is legal for big game. There are some states where it isn't.

Yup

I checked it out Critter. The three states I'll be hunting do allow an illum. recticle.

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Just gotta say after seeing

Just gotta say after seeing your question that he'll probably have his eye on the scope sooner or later with that big boomer, LOL!!! Just curious as to how much that box of shells cost that you just bought for it?

Don Fischer's picture
I well recall my first 338

I well recall my first 338 mag. it was in Montana in the early 70's. I got it in Kalispell and got a box of ammo and scope at the same time. The rifle was a sako L61R and the scope was a Redfield 2 3/4x widefield, I still have the scope and use it today. Going home I went past the house and to the dump to shoot it. Those sako's came woth a slide on rear peep sight, very nicely made. I loaded up and fired the first shot, ouch! But being a man, I fired two more and had to quit. Got to the house and looked at my shoulder and it was a very deep black and blue! I kept shooting it and did learn to handle it and didn't even get bruised again. I could sit at the bench and shoot off a box with no problen. Even took it out gopher shooting a few times!

I think that if I was ever to own a magnum again, the 338 win mag woulf be it. But I have no idea what I would use it on at this point in my life. I have no desire to hunt brown bear, maybe with a camera, and will never hunt Africa, my loss! Great dangerious game round with the 250 gr bullet.

To tame it in the begining I loaded it with 200 gr speer hot core's. Then got up to 225gr Hornadys. Shot my first deer with that 225gr load. Maybe 50 yds and hit it right in the shoulder.dam* near blew it in half! Nothing left on the front end and the biggest pool of blood I ever saw! Moved up to the 250gr bullet and had to start all over learning to handle it. My last 338 mag was a Ruger 77. Recoil was much more tgolerable with it but then again, maybe it was because I was shooting so much at that time. a neighbor here had me shoot his 300 short mag for him. I shot exactly two shats and will never shoot one again!

ouch!

the box of 20 cost $70.  after tax. = $3.50 per round. 

The scope will have Leupold's gloss base with their matte rings.  I think it's gonna be a sharp lookin rifle. 

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I'm sure that it will be a

I'm sure that it will be a very handsome combination, that rifle & scope. Both are high quality products and should give years of faithful service and also be a very good hunting set-up. As far as the ammo, Accubonds are excellent bullets and nearly on a par with the fine Nosler Partitions, many feel. I would think that caliber/bullet combination a good one to hunt pretty much any N.A. animal, save for the big bears. Good luck with your initial range work! Thumbs up

Ummm.  I thought the 338

Ummm.  I thought the 338 would be a good cartridge for bears? No? 

I did end up purchasing the Leupold VX6.  It'll be in this Saturday.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The .338 will kill any animal

The .338 will kill any animal on the North American Content including any of the bears. Perhaps what Tndeerhunter meant was that you might want to go with a different bullet for more controlled expansion, but I believe that the accurbond is adequate for the bears.

I took my .340 to Canada this last spring on a grizzly hunt loaded with Barnes 225 grain TSX bullets at 2900fps+ and at no time did I feel under gunned. In fact for most of the coastal brown bear hunts in Alaska the outfitter will recommend at least a .338 caliber, but in capable hands any rifle from a 270+ will take a bear cleanly.