8 replies [Last post]
338 win mag

I have a rocky mountain elk foundation limited 338 win mag browning a bolt with the dura touch camo and i think it is just a little to big for me i can hit a paper plate 0-200yds after that dont know i may just have to sell it and get a 300 or go just a little smaller than that. I have only had it for 8 months

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
338 win mag

So are you having trouble sighting it in? Or does the recoil start to bother you after the first couple of shots? A trick that I learned as far as recoil and sighting in the rifle is to get yourself a bag of lead shotgun pellets and place it between the rifle butt and your shoulder, it should help. If recoil isn't the problem you may want to check the screws on the scope rings and base. For a magnum such as a .338 they need to be solid. Also the scope needs to be a quality one. I have seen a lot of scopes that just won't hold up to the recoil.

338 win mag

its just a 200 dollar scope i see your point there but the shooting part if i cant lay down on my coat and hit something at 200yds or over with the gun hell i dont know . I dont use a bench i have always been able to shoot pretty good with my 300 out to 400yds. just trying to understand a bench when you sight in with it and then go to shoot a deer or what ever the accuracy will be different right i mean with out the bench

Don Fischer's picture
338 win mag

The steadiest field position is prone. It is also the most brutal on the shooter. In the sitting and kneeling position, your upper body rolls with the recoil, in prone, nothing rolls. I suspect recoil is getting to you.

If you have a place in the country you can shoot, I'd recommend making some bags out of old pant legs and setting up on the hood of a tall pickup. Lean into the truck at the waist and your upper body will roll with the punch. I did that for years till I figured out how to build a portable bench.

BTW, if you don't have a bag of shot, a sand bag works almost as well between you and the rifle.

338 win mag

maybe one of you should just buy it from me hu Think Think

338 win mag
hunter g wrote:
maybe one of you should just buy it from me hu Think Think

You just dropped a considerable amount of money on this rig less than a year ago. I assume that you didn't just buy it on impulse, and that you had a valid reason for choosing this gun and caliber. You don't really state why you don't like it, but because your thinking about getting a smaller caliber I assume that recoil is a big part in your decision. If that's the case I would recomend that you try a quality recoil pad like a Limbsaver. It will be a lot cheaper than taking a beating when you try and sell this rifle and buy another.

338 win mag

If recoil is the issue there are a couple things you can have done to the rifle that will help reduce recoil significantly. Have a gunsmith install a good quality muzzle break and a nice recoil pad just remember after the break is installed to always use ear protection. If you reload try reducing the bullet and powder weight this should also reduce the felt recoil for you. I have a Browning BLR with the Dura touch camo stock in 7mm Mag and I think the stock quality is very good as far as absorbing recoil so I don't think it's the stock's fault the graphite composite that Browning makes is much better than the injection molded types that are popular with Savage and Tikkas. With large calibers like the big Magnums you're better off shooting from a bench or off the hood of a truck like Don said, use the prone only if you need to when your hunting.

Big smile

338 win mag

If recoil is the issue there are a couple things you can have done to the rifle that will help reduce recoil significantly. Have a gunsmith install a good quality muzzle break and a nice recoil pad just remember after the break is installed to always use ear protection. If you reload try reducing the bullet and powder weight this should also reduce the felt recoil for you. I have a Browning BLR with the Dura touch camo stock in 7mm Mag and I think the stock quality is very good as far as absorbing recoil so I don't think it's the stock's fault the graphite composite that Browning makes is much better than the injection molded types that are popular with Savage and Tikkas. With large calibers like the big Magnums you're better off shooting from a bench or off the hood of a truck like Don said, use the prone only if you need to when your hunting.

Big smile

338 win mag

thanks for all the info. i reloaded some 185gr barnes and made a good load I am now shooting 11/2 groups at 200. most important i am hitting a paper plate from 100 to 400 every time i will say i dont like the 225gr and bigger that should be used for grizz or moose but any way thanks and good luck hunting