4 replies [Last post]
.338 RUM reloading recipe's

Hi New to this site so thought I'd try it out.
I am looking for a good elk load recipe for my .338 RUM
If you load this cal you know it knocks you around a bit so just looking to save some time.I have loaded a little bit w/ this .338 but didnt have the right load yet.
I will use this gun hunting elk in an open prairie type atmosphere so good energy/accuracy at a long distance(up to 400-500yds) is my main concern. Thats why I bought this cal.

Also I havent really tried using different primers for accuracy. Does it REALLY make a BIG difference. I normally buy 1000 primers or more at a time. So buying every brand to try out seems a waste of materials and money.
I have stuck to CCI on most my ammo and was recommended FED Mag primers for this .338RUM
Thanks

WELCOME to BGH
I'm sure someone will be along that has the answer to your query, unfortunately I don't.. It is my belief that of all the reloading components available, primers are the most consistant from brand to brand and the most forgiving too.

i feel your pain on the getting knocked around problem of working up a load. have you heard of the ladder test? well here it goes this is how i got my .300 shooting clover leafs at 200 yards with out breaking my shoulder. i loaded up ten rounds each from 75gr to 79gr (consult your manual to see max and min loads) and then i color coated the case with some sharpies so i wouldnt get mixed up at the range. now on to the range i set up at 200 yards, sounds like you might want to take it further. have the same target on your bench as your shooting at and bring all those markers you colored your different rounds with. as you start shooting dont shoot all the same gr loads in a group. in my case i shot five shot groups one of each load and marked on my bench target with the color marker after each shot. i was amazed at the differance that could be seen. by the end of the 50 rounds i had colors all over my target but only one nice little spot of blue marker in the middle,thats my load 78gr of realoder 22 and it only took me 50 rounds to find it. hope this helped may be you allready knew about this if so maybe it will help someone else. it sure helped me Thumbs up

I have taken the kick out of my RUM w/ a brake and a Pachmeyer Decereator Pad. It feels less than an -06 now BUT still looking for a good recipe. My wife shot her doe w/ it the other day since I took her rifle out w/ me hunting. She didnt notice any kick!
I will just keep building up my loads. I usually go 5 rounds per grain take good notes then I'll zero her in .2 gr at a time then .1gr if I feel its needed. IT just takes time since I cool the barrel down before it gets very warm w/ this hunting load.
I read a good article from Lyman last night regarding primers That said its a good option to try but if I can get her tight w/o trying every primer out there dont worry. If I had more time I would have all my guns zeroed to a .25 MOA but I'm good w/ .5-1.0MOA even 2.0 for now.

Little buf- I dont see the reasoning of the step ladder idea. I dont think walking down after every shot 200 yds to color a hole is worth it. It will get the heart pumping too much after a while anyway wont it? I have my own range w a nice sturdy table and just put up about 6 paper plates or so @ 25 or 50yds. I shoot ea load @ a specific plate. Then take notes of them w/ the tighter groups getting my attention. Then I take the good loads out some distance.

Thanks for the input

i use a high power spotting scope and mark the target on my bench with the colored markers. ive found this technique cuts way back on how many rounds i need to put down range, and i dont need to worry about "shooting out my barrel" if there is such a thing? i dont take the chance ive got a lot of money in my riffles

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
7mm Remington Magnum7Magjoe702/25/2009 15:26 pm
First reloading press?rogie2008/19/2008 09:25 am
Reloading ClubBrowan89312/15/2012 09:53 am
Reloading .270 Hardware questionshostage671012/24/2006 13:02 pm
M70 338 Win MagPapaSzakal1305/16/2013 10:32 am