23 replies [Last post]
.338 Remington Ultra Mag - Shoulder Breaker?

Well, I appreciate everyone's observations and input on this. I finally decided on a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Fortunately, Santa Clause managed to find one and even included a scope and ammo for my convenience.

After my 200-grain Nosler partition completely passed through and obliterated the backside of a 10-inch diameter tree at 50 yards, the only thing left is for me to practice my shooting. And as far as the recoil, man, what a difference over my 7MM Mag! Not uncomfortable at all, but boy you sure can feel the power.

Me likey Big smile

rost495 wrote:
Shato

There are BR 1000 yard matches for the big 50s where they perform very well. But I was inferrring that the 50 shines way beyond 1000. Not at 1000. I had no inference to BR accuracy to win matches at 1000 yards with the 50. Though some of the groups fired will certainly win.

FWIW the 1 mile record was or still is held by a 7wsm. But that does not mean that a 7wsm would be my choice of a hunting round at that range. Paper punching maybe fine.

And as I was speaking mainly of hunting issues that were brought up, thats what I was referring to. Sorry you misunderstood. Very easy to do on the net.

Jeff

No Problem. I've actually shot a 50 bmg recently. and wow what a cool gun. I loved it. we shot concrete blocks and steel plates just to see what it could do. I was like a kid again: what can we shoot next! Anyway, Maybe I need to chill I'm coming off way to confrontational in my posts. I don't mean to be, and I'm certainly not that way in real life. Its just easy to type something and not truely think about how you may sound. anyway, the 7 wsm is a good caliber for shooting and hunting anything up to elk sized game. and unless I was a lot stronger than i am I wouldn't want to pack the 50 I seen around the woods Wink

I would say this though some of the most fun I've had just "shooting" is with a good 22lr. just shoot and shoot and watch the holes appear. not worrying about the barrel getting too hot. no working up loads and reloading more ammo, just buy a gross of good shells (lapua) and shoot till my hearts content.

"buy a gross of good shells."

Theres a term I've not heard in quite a while. I wonder how many know what number equals a gross.

22s teach you the most. The others are fun. And no one can tell me the boomers dont kick. Thats what my nephew says. I told him my 3 inch slugs were tough. But he is tougher. But then New Years Eve we all laughed out butts off when he wanted to shoot for some noise, I gave him his slug gun with 2.75 inchers. Except I cut the top off a dove load. Primer, powder, fiber wads. Talk about a horrible flinch! back to the learning table.

Hey - Shato-- just don't type in a hurry on the net and hit send. Thats usually when your communication is poor and comes across as strong, wrong, etc.... Ask me how I know... Wink

Jeff

I'm 7'8 370 and who cares. What are you going to shoot and are you willing to practice. Except on live trees.

???

7'8" and 370???!!! What do you need a rifle for? Just club them in the head when they stroll by (humor).

As far as shooting goes, I guess the subject is whether or not the 338 Ultra is too much cartridge. I am not willing to shoot it regularly, so for me it is not on my big list of acquisitions, but for others, it may be just fine.

Ah, what to shoot at. Well, live trees are more common than dead ones, but I will practice shooting at whatever presents itself as a suitable target, long as it is also a legal target, that is. I don't reckon shooting live trees is an indication of prejudice so much as it is a convenience. But hey, if a fellow has a grudge against a particular tree and it ain't out of season, what the heck, take the shot. At least then you will make the live tree/dead tree ratio a little closer.

You know, I remember an experiment that was conducted by a university a while back wherein they had a bunch of students imagine shooting foul shots on a regular basis, and then compared their actual foul shot shooting ability to a group that actually practiced shooting foul shots regularly and to another group that neither practiced nor imagined practicing. They discovered that the people who imagined shooting foul shots had a success rate closer to those who actually practiced compared to those who did nothing.

Imagine that.

Ben

The mind is the strongest tool you have.

As to trees-- actually the way I interpret it in national forests, that would be illegal on live trees. FWIW.

Jeff

Hmm, I suppose shooting live trees out of season in the National Forest might get a fellow in some trouble. Out here they issue permits for a late tree hunt, but most folks use a saw. I don't reckon they'd bellyache too much if I tagged out using my 12 gauge instead. Them folks that do hunt them late season trees are usually mounting them and dressing them up for that PC correct "Winter Celebration" holiday thing. I don't remember seeing in the regs where one method of dispatching the tree was preferred to another, and it ain't on the permit you get for it, so maybe it is time to talk to the USFS agent about it. Them Fish and Wildlife folks don't have all the answers you know.

Not so proud owner of a citation for having a hatchet stuck in a live tree in a national forest.........

Some trees need killing. Wink

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
300 Remington Ultra Magnumwonksy1312/07/2008 23:29 pm
Remington Short Actionsbitmasher306/26/2005 12:28 pm
WTS - Remington Model 700 Sendora SF 300 Ultra Magjdowdle002/05/2007 11:52 am
Man,,, Oh, Man... 300 Remington Ultra Mag!!!!jim boyd702/20/2011 07:08 am
300 Winchester Ultra Magjim boyd212/12/2010 23:28 pm