23 replies [Last post]
.338 Remington Ultra Mag - Shoulder Breaker?

I want to buy a .338 Rem. Ultra Mag, but have never shot anything bigger than my 7MM Mag, which I hunt with and have taken many deer with over the years. The recoil from my 7 Mag doesn't bother me in the least. I want to buy the .338 in a Remington 700 BDL.

Has anyone ever shot this round? How is the kick? I am 6'1 and about 280 pounds - I could certainly stand to lose a few but I'm pretty solid, so I expect it will affect me less than smaller guys as far as absorbing the recoil physically.

I have not shot the ultra round. Try longrangehunting.com and you'll find folks that have. FWIW the MV vs normal 338 should mean that it probably is not that bad. The 7 mag has never had much recoil to me. The regular 338 has noticeably more but since its not hyper velocity its more like a hard shove that a quick snap.

In the end you can always stick a Vais brake on it. Effective and about the quietest of brakes.

FWIW after watching all types shoot heavy recoiling rifles, it seems to me that the larger you are the more recoil your body can absorb. I've seen the larger folks whine more about recoil than my 125 pound wife does. In fact a buddy about your size, maybe a bit larger, that doesn't wince at much, was complaining about his 338 win mag. Carolyn and I shot it and not that big a deal. But he put a brake on it.

Having shot up to 460 wtby rounds, I'm gonna stick to my thoughts due to what I see with muzzle rise vs size and how it seems to shock different body sizes. IE the larger folks seem to control the large rifles better in recoil, but body absorbs more of it vs the smaller folks have it rise much more but seems to not faze them as much. What you see seems silly. It looks like the smaller folks would come away crying and not the larger ones and its almost always a total reverse.

Good luck, Jeff

I have a 300 ultra mag and don't mind the recoil at all but it does kick... hard. If you are used to the 7 mm mag then it will not be a huge step but there will certainly be a difference. I find the 300 RUM recoils more like a 3.5" 12 gauge magnum (a heavy push rather than a slap like the shorter cartridges.) FWIW, the 338 RUM would be an awesome big game cartridge and one that I considered when I bought the 300 RUM.

The 338 ultra is a kicker. no doubt about it. but its manageable. its not something you would want to shoot all day at the range though. its a good round but not that much of an improvement over the trusty ole 338 win. anyway, the 338 ultra is getting hard to find for some reason. I've heard rumors that remington isn't offering it anymore. My dad was looking for a rem. 700 lss in 338 ultra and had a hard time finding one. a lot of suppliers said that it wasn't offered anymore. Don't know

The .338 R.U.M. is a kicker, but nothing that you shouldn't be able to handle. I'm 6'4. 220 lbs and as long as I am sure to tuck it in nice and tight against my shoulder, its no problem. The first time I fired it, I was laying prone using a sandbag to steady it......after squeezing off that first round, I had a nice imprint of the scope over my right eye. I think of that everytime I fire it and since then I haven't been "kissed" by my scope. At any rate, the .338 is a fantastic big game cartridge. I use it for bear and my elk hunting trips. Good Luck.

You know, there's a lot of truth in the statement about size of shooter vs. felt recoil. I am 6'6" and 270 lbs, and my 338 win mag is about all I can stand, with or without the compensator on the end. My buddy who is about 5'9" and maybe weighs 200 lbs shoots a 375 H&H and just loves it. I hate it. I have gotten to where if I try and shoot his handloads, I end up clamping my eyelids shut before the sear breaks in preparation for the jarring jolt it gives me.

Sure, I used to shrug off felt recoil 10 years ago, but I am 42 now, and my body is starting to complain more and more these days (knees burning, hands ache with arthritis, and now bursitis in my shooting shoulder). With a lifetime of shooting in my past, I find less and less pleasure in going out to the range and chucking up for battery exercises with ground shakers all day long. I find more pleasure in trying to chew out the black core of the target with my 10-22 at 100 yards, or in busting 100 clays with target loads. Funny how that is translating into my hunting scheme more and more. That big 338 ultra mag might be the 400 yard dynamo that someone else can bring the elk home with, but I decided a while back that less is more, and being able to get within 250 yards of any game I hunt is not all that challenging but keeps me interested, and greatly increases my confidence in taking the game I am intending to. That's me.

For others, shooting across the canyon at an animal that has no idea it is being hunted is the cat's pajamas. Being able to shoot and reliably kill anything you can see well enough to identify in the spotting scope or binocs is their most desirable characteristic of the hunt. For those who are willing to do what it takes to make those kind of shots, including marksmanship proficiency, I applaud you as the superior shooter. I will only take those long shots at paper targets any more. I haven't the time to practice enough to do any better beyond my current range limitations.

Whew, with all that said, I reckon that 338 ultra mag, like the rest of them ultra mags, can help the most proficient to improve their chance of successful long range hunting on big game. Certainly the MPBA on those loads compared to the standards is further out, and is there such a thing as too much energy? I think not. Heck, I always thought it'd be cool to sit atop a ridge and spot that bugler at 1000 yards and lay one of them there 50 bmg rounds into his ribcage and watch him fold up. Well, maybe once anyways, just so I could get an idea how Gunny Hathcock musta felt.

Ben

Suspect you know one of the groups I fall into. Though I love being 10 yards out and slipping and arrow through one as much.....

Anyway 1000 yards is more the territory of the good super mag 338 rounds. 1000 yards is short range work for the 50. If you ever get to shoot one( I'm almost 40 so know about your age- aches statements a bit already) give it a whirl. Stake out a 55 gal drum around a mile and lay into it. Its unreal! And when you figure that out-- you'll understand how Gunny did it. Its so simple to hit with one at 1000 and under...

There is just something about that 50 cal round. I just gotta have one. But it may be a long time till I have that kinda dough for a fun gun!

Jeff

Well, that 50 may shoot out past 1,000, but I'm not sure I can, reliably anyways. I guess it's a matter of standards. Shooting 308 match at 1,000 yards I couldn't meet my criteria for hunting. Of course that was open sights and not a gun I was intimately familiar with. I suppose the equipment of a 50 is such that 1,000+ yard shooting is not as difficult. But just the same, if I have a shot at 1,000 yards, I know I can get a lot closer.

That's not to say what you propose for fun shooting isn't worth pursuing. I might have some trouble, though, talking the wife into a $7,000 gun just so I can go shoot barrels at a mile. Hmm, I wonder if I can talk the folks at the Dept. of Wildlife into opening a whale season...as I recall, the coastal indians were using a 50 to finish off the whales they'd harpoon. A couple years back they had it all over the news, but now it is no big deal anymore I guess. I wonder if anyone uses a 50 to hunt big game in Africa? That ought to put the brakes on a charging elephant pretty quick.

rost495 wrote:
Ben

Suspect you know one of the groups I fall into. Though I love being 10 yards out and slipping and arrow through one as much.....

Anyway 1000 yards is more the territory of the good super mag 338 rounds. 1000 yards is short range work for the 50. If you ever get to shoot one( I'm almost 40 so know about your age- aches statements a bit already) give it a whirl. Stake out a 55 gal drum around a mile and lay into it. Its unreal! And when you figure that out-- you'll understand how Gunny did it. Its so simple to hit with one at 1000 and under...

There is just something about that 50 cal round. I just gotta have one. But it may be a long time till I have that kinda dough for a fun gun!

Jeff

If that were the case, I wonder why the 1000 yard benchrest community haven't caught on to it?

Shato

There are BR 1000 yard matches for the big 50s where they perform very well. But I was inferrring that the 50 shines way beyond 1000. Not at 1000. I had no inference to BR accuracy to win matches at 1000 yards with the 50. Though some of the groups fired will certainly win.

FWIW the 1 mile record was or still is held by a 7wsm. But that does not mean that a 7wsm would be my choice of a hunting round at that range. Paper punching maybe fine.

And as I was speaking mainly of hunting issues that were brought up, thats what I was referring to. Sorry you misunderstood. Very easy to do on the net.

Jeff

Well, I appreciate everyone's observations and input on this. I finally decided on a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Fortunately, Santa Clause managed to find one and even included a scope and ammo for my convenience.

After my 200-grain Nosler partition completely passed through and obliterated the backside of a 10-inch diameter tree at 50 yards, the only thing left is for me to practice my shooting. And as far as the recoil, man, what a difference over my 7MM Mag! Not uncomfortable at all, but boy you sure can feel the power.

Me likey Big smile

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
300 Remington Ultra Magnumwonksy1312/07/2008 23:29 pm
Remington Short Actionsbitmasher306/26/2005 12:28 pm
WTS - Remington Model 700 Sendora SF 300 Ultra Magjdowdle002/05/2007 11:52 am
Man,,, Oh, Man... 300 Remington Ultra Mag!!!!jim boyd702/20/2011 07:08 am
300 Winchester Ultra Magjim boyd212/12/2010 23:28 pm