13 replies [Last post]
338-375 weatherby any + or -

i was bored and went through weatherby's web site, and come across this calliber, has some really nice numbers. does anyone have any opinions on this rifle good or bad? thnks for input.
I was gonna buy 338 mag for larger game, but numbers for this are even more impressive.

Its a big round. Have a friend that has a 338/378 in the accumark. Shoots 250 X bullets and amazingly enough the gun shoots really well for factory. Hangs around MOA with reloads.

Took him to shoot a hog with it and he shot it in the head. Not a huge hole but a very dead hog. INdicating it has lots of horsepower to be able to penetrate, and if you can handle it , its a good long range round.
Stock is ok, trigger pull was ok, and barrel is purported to be a Krieger. Which it is, but a button criterion Krieger. Not their top of the line cut rifled barrel. Stock had a decent bedding block and did not need to be touched up on this particularr rifle.

But for true long range hunting I think you'd be better off with a custom rifle accuracy wise and could come up with a bit better base case for a large 338.

Jeff

If what you are looking at is really a 338-375 Weatherby, it is an odd duck. Weatherby replaced the 375 Wby mag with the 378, and subsequent down-caliber loadings should be in the bigger capacity 378 case.

That said, it is still much more than I would want to shoot in North America. It is going to have more poop on it than a hot loaded 300 grain 375 H&H, and that is one thumper of a load my friend!! Unless I am going to be facing dangerous game on a regular basis (like working on radio stations in Kodiak Island), I would not be so interested in such a firearm.

But, to each his own. I have friends who like to hunt with and regularly shoot such beasty rounds. I won't criticize them because they are very experienced and have learned to accept the punishment these loads deal out. My shoulder will not tolerate it, so it is not for me.

thnks for the insight, was just currious. after reading posts, and going to couple of diff. articles in mags. the 338 mag, no matter whom the maker will be plenty for all hunting i plan on doing. I would truly be less then impressed to ruin shoulder and get shorted by a mistake on my own behalf. love to hunt so think gonna stay with 338 mag. as "the one that's just a little bit bigger"(what i told wife) lol

Yepper, as far as the wife goes, it wasn't too hard to sell her on moving up to 338 from my 7mm mag, even though it was the same gun!!!

All I had to do was show her the muzzle, have the clerk open a box of 150 grain 7mms compared to 250 grain 338s and ask her which one was better for putting elk on the table. To her eyes, it was no contest. It sure helps that I already had the money in my pocket and out of the account for a while so she didn't feel the pinch when it came. She will shoot the 7mm, but has turned down every offer on the 338 so far. She says she doesn't like how it looks when I pull the trigger.

wow-- cant even get my wife to shoot a 22lr. let alone my 7mm. but as far as upgradeing, she still thinks im nuts. The good thing is that she didnt say no :( Big smile . added bonus.

The biggest problem in my opinion with weatherby's is that they free bore all there rounds. which results in reduced accuracy. they hotrod there cartridges so much that the only way to keep the cases together is to free bore them. but they are killing machines no doubt about it.

I don't know that you can say that freebore keeps the rounds together. Especially since you have others than Wtby chambering in the wtby chambers w/o freebore.

I'm picking nits though as the freebore adds to MV and thats even proven to me because I have big freebore in most of my 223 match rifles. But the freebore, in and of itself, doesn't detract from accuracy much if any, if done correctly.

IMHO what gets the wtby guns to be average accuracy is a sloppy chamber and a cheap junk barrel like most factory guns have. If you have a tight good concentric chamber then the freebore is not an accuracy issue. And a top line barrel makes all the difference. Look at the wtby accumark(is that the one I'mm thinking of?). Its bedded in a block and thats a big step forward. And it has a decent barrel from Criterion on it. Both help it shoot. And I've seen a couple of 30-378s that are solidly just under MOA from the factory.

Jeff

rost495 wrote:
I don't know that you can say that freebore keeps the rounds together. Especially since you have others than Wtby chambering in the wtby chambers w/o freebore.

I'm picking nits though as the freebore adds to MV and thats even proven to me because I have big freebore in most of my 223 match rifles. But the freebore, in and of itself, doesn't detract from accuracy much if any, if done correctly.

IMHO what gets the wtby guns to be average accuracy is a sloppy chamber and a cheap junk barrel like most factory guns have. If you have a tight good concentric chamber then the freebore is not an accuracy issue. And a top line barrel makes all the difference. Look at the wtby accumark(is that the one I'mm thinking of?). Its bedded in a block and thats a big step forward. And it has a decent barrel from Criterion on it. Both help it shoot. And I've seen a couple of 30-378s that are solidly just under MOA from the factory.

Jeff

Jeff we always seem to be on opposite sides of discussions, don't we? lol
I bet it would be fun to sit around a campfire and argue guns with you. In my mind free bore can't help but detract from accuracy. But, Lord knows I don't know everything.
(ps. I don't mean this controversially. So I hope you take it in the manner I meant it.

hey are you a 6 ppc or a 30 br man? Maybe, we can agree here! I'm fond of the ppc myself. The recoil turns me off to the 30.

Shato

I'm glad you don't think I'm an AH. I' m not. I just see lots of sides of everything. You and I would be great anywhere.

FWIW I prefer PPC. And I'm really intrigued on the 6.5 ppc or Grendel as its called. I"ll probably be demonstrating it at the NRA convention in Houston since they now have a 1000 yard range we can show it off at. I haven't shot a bunch lately and hope I"m not too rusty. On the other hand, were I to go to a match rifle and 1000 yard matches, I know a lot of guys that are extremely impressed with the results of the 6BR. Though I'd likely try the 6ppc first. So are we any closer than we were? Wink

On the free bore issue. I should clarify better. I would not use it for BR matches. Heaven knows they load mostly soft seating(right?? I'm not much of a BR man-- the bench bores me- slings intrigue me more)

What I'm saying is that a sloppy chamber detracts more so than the fact that the sloppy chamber might have a long throat. My match 223s have a chamber I specified to shoot 90 grain bullets. Seated past the donut. You can imagine the jump with 69s or so. But since the neck area is correct and tight, the freebore negligibly affects accuracy. And the long throat sure looks like it is able to lower the pressure IE allowing one to load up to a bit more speed safely. IE all other variables being the same a short throat chamber(wylde) will have less speed capability than a long throat (Holliger) chamber will allow. At the same pressure levels.

Sure glad you are around here now so we have a bit of conversation!

Lots of medical problems in my family at the moment and work is crazy-- if I don't pop in much I may be really tied up. I dread getting older, seeing how it affects parents and grandparents, and being an only child I see too much. But I think I have enough under my belt to be called a decently learned shooter, and enough under my belt to be well on my way to MD......

Have a great nite and happy new year if I haven't said it before.

Jeff

I'd say we're heading down the same path here. I think the excuse I always heard about Weatherby freebore was to reduce chamber pressure while attaining higher velocities. Without getting into a chicken/egg argument, I'd say in most cases freebore is not the target shooters friend. It probably don't make no never mind to most folks in how well they shoot, but I reckon it is one of those minor variables that competition shooters like to dwell on. I do agree that sloppy chambers are a much larger concern.

Let me put it this way; if the freebore doesn't present the bullet to the rifling absolutely concentric and true, then accuracy will suffer. More freebore means a greater chance the bullet won't align perfectly to the rifling, but quality control can overcome that risk. Cartridge alignment is a bigger factor, so sloppy chambers are inherently worse.

When I first heard of the Grendel round, I got excited. I don't do much competition shooting, but I do appreciate ideal design.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Weatherby shooters fire5179204/02/2013 22:38 pm
WEATHERBY MK V .240 WEATHERBY MAGmadmax110/25/2010 17:18 pm
7mm Weatherby mag vs 300 Weatherby magRiddler72409/21/2009 16:45 pm
weatherby vanguardbillybob509/30/2004 23:43 pm
Weatherby Video contest --last callWby399012/11/2008 13:15 pm