5 replies [Last post]
338-06???

Anyone have a 338-06 out there? If so what do you think of it and what have you used it for? I've been looking at these for a while and it looks like a very sensible large game rifle.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Re: 338-06???
Highflyer wrote:
Anyone have a 338-06 out there? If so what do you think of it and what have you used it for? I've been looking at these for a while and it looks like a very sensible large game rifle.

I have a .338/06 built very inexpensibly off a Savage 110 action with an E.R. Shaw barrel installed. The rifle shoots very well with loads from Stars and Stripes ammo and also Conley Ammo. My buddy built the same type rifle using another type of barrel, and shoots the Weatherby 210gr NP loads in his (saving my $70/box ammo...lol). I've not shot any animals with mine, he a fair sized Ky buck last season. The results on his deer were very similar to what I see using my .35 Whelen on deer; Bang-Flop.

The numbers for the .338/06 look very impressive when viewed next to the factory numbers for the Whelen. The load I used last year to collect two nice bucks in my Whelen is about 200 FPS faster (claimed) than the Rem factory 200gr load. So, the potential is there for the .35W, where they likely SAMMIed the .338/06 higher, apparently and loaded ammo pretty hot.

An excellent caliber, perhaps as good an elk round as you'll find (non magnum) and it does not have objectionable recoil either. (neither does the .35W, actually) Both these loads are truly underappreciated and under used. Why, I'll never know as I really like them both. There are LOTS of good bullets available for the .338/06 and it can be used for deer through big bears very effectively, IMO.

338-06???

I have a 338-06 that was re-bored from an old Winchester pre 64 model 70 that had a frosted bore. This is one of the most accurate rifles that I own. I handload 225 gr. Accubonds or Swift A-frames over H4350 @ 2600 fps. I have 4 one-shot kills on elk with this rifle and absolutely love the caliber. Brass can be easily formed from 30-06 cases or bought from Weatherby. I first loaded 210 Nosler partitions and also had great accuracy. This rifle has a McMillan synthetic stock and is my go-to woods and mountain rifle.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
338-06???

Stoneke,

What's a frosted bore? Never heard that term.

338-06???

The Winchester in question is a 1949 model, that I believe was shot with corrosive primed cartridges. As such, the bore was not bright and shiney as one would expect when looking at a freshly cleaned bore. The accuracy was ok for a hunting gun, but being the perfectionist that I am, I had the bore freshened to the larger diameter. I have been happy ever since.

338-06???

Looking at the handoad data I'd say this one is definitely underrated. If I go back to Alaska I think it will be with a 338-06. Dammit, I swore I was done buying guns.