12 replies [Last post]
330 Dakota

It's the usuall "does anybody have any info about his calibre" question.

I've heard some great things about this calibre...but have never heard from anybody who uses it.

Availability? Is is sold only from Dakota Arms?

Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks

Taku

330 Dakota

http://www.chuckhawks.com/330Dakota.htm

This ought to help. It's similar ( a lot more umph) to the 338 win mag. It shoots a 338 cal bullet. I love my 338 winny, and it can be used on anything from coyotes to grizzly. It's accurate, flat, and can shoot heavy for call or light for cal bullets. If you reload, you'll have all these options with more case capacity than the win with a Dakota. If you want to make one, you'll need to have a .338 barrel, and the chamber reemed out to the specific dimentions of the Dakota (don't know them off hand). Good luck, and let us know if you pursue it at all. Big smile

330 Dakota

Maddenwh...thanks very much for your assistance

The only thing I have to go on is my 2002 Edition of the Nosler Reloading book.

In that book it states that "The 330 Dakota was the first in a series of cartridges developed by Dakota based on the 404 Jeffrey case, and has proven to be our most popular offering. The beltless case design contains about 15% more powder than the 338 Winchester Magnum case and will function through the same action."

What does that mean..."function through the same action"?

Anyway, thanks for responding....much appreciated.

Taku

330 Dakota

I think" function through the same action" in this case means nothing besides the Barrel would have to be changed to convert a 338 win mag to the 330 Dakota".

The 270, 280 rem and 30.06 would be another example IF I am correct. Think Think Think

330 Dakota

Hammer 1

Thanks for the tip. To me it sounds like it would be worth the effort. I would love to hear from someone who actually has completed the task! I'll keep you posted...sounds like the first thing to do is acquire a .338! Problem with that is that I'll probably love that too...guns and boats...oh well, there are worse weaknesses / addictions.

thanks again,

Taku

330 Dakota

The Dakota rounds are built on the 404 Jeffrey case. A non belted case with a width of .555 and a head width of .535. The win short mags and the rem ultra mags have also utilized the Jeffrey case. The 338 rem ultra mag is a long version of the 330 Dakota. The 330 Dakota will fit into a 30-06 length action (338wm length). A 7mm Rem mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag and a 458 win mag would be as simple as a barrel change and possibly a tad bit of bolt face milling or not.
The 404 Dakota is very impressive. Same case necked up and throws a 400gr bullet at the same trajectory as a 30-06 with a 180gr. Ouch!

330 Dakota

Fuzzybear is head on here. I would use a heavier gun, like a 338 win mag or 458 win mag, for the conversion because that 330 dakota is going to kick like a mule. A little weight will go a long way with reducing felt recoil. Might try shooting a 338 win mag before building a Dakota.

The 338 winny is big enough for everyting other than the pachyderms and cape buffalo, and it shoots flat and fast enough to make it a great plains game gun. It really holds its energy well down range. Of course, the Dakota would do all this and more, but do you really need that extra velocity with the same relative cal/bullet diameter? If you want more power than the 338 winny, I'd go with a 375 ruger or H&H, a 416 remy or rigby, 9.3X64 Brenneke. That's just my two cents. I like bigger bullets because they make bigger holes. If you jack the velocity of the Dakota up too much it will cause severe meat damage on small game, and the bullets might shatter on big game at closer ranges. Think

330 Dakota

Thanks All for the informed responses...

Maddenwh / Fuzzybear....I agree completely. Really, why go to the .330 Dakota when a .338 Win Mag would do fine. The main reason I want something a little "bigger" is that 30.06 is the largest calibre I have. We hunt in heavy Grizzly country, we do have Bison hunts here and Moose would be the only other animal I would use the large gun on. The caribou gun I like is a .270, although I've shot more than a couple with my good old .30.06 and these would do well on sheep too.

Hard to say why the .330 Dakota has caught my eye....it just has.

Again, I do appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

Taku

330 Dakota

A couple of other rounds that are worth looking at, for your needs, would be the 338 A Square or a 35 Whelen. Both excel in the heavy and medium weight game arena with a more tolerable recoil. Both are a necked up 30-06 case.

bitmasher's picture
330 Dakota

Dakota is the only source that I'm aware of for ammo. While I think most any die maker would create a die set for you, I believe that Redding is the only one that has a catalog number for it.

Don Fischer's picture
330 Dakota
fuzzybear wrote:
A couple of other rounds that are worth looking at, for your needs, would be the 338 A Square or a 35 Whelen. Both excel in the heavy and medium weight game arena with a more tolerable recoil. Both are a necked up 30-06 case.

You might also get one of each with dies and cases for the cost of one Dakota rifle.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like