14 replies [Last post]
.308 for Moose, Bison, Elk, and Caribou ?

My friend invited me to go along with him to hunt in Montana on his Uncle's land. All I got right now is my .308, I got some 150 grain Winchester XP3 Premium loads for the hunt. I was wondering if this would be enough, could it also take a Brown Bear if needed ? The reason I ask this is, his uncle swears there is a big trophy Brown Bear in the Woods, but he is extreamly aggresive and territorial. Also, if the XP3s arn't a good choice in .308, what is ? 

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The .308 with a 150 grain

The .308 with a 150 grain load is plenty for the animals that you have listed. As for a brown bear in Montana I suppose that he is talking a grizzly which are protected in the lower 48 US states and can not be hunted. If he is talking about a brown color phase black bear the 308 is fine there also.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Or, maybe he is mentioning

Or, maybe he is mentioning the Brown Bear for protection purposes, because as his friend says, "he is extreamly aggresive and territorial"..........

Just for things that go bump in the night..... Wink

Good gun, good round, more than sufficient.  Good luck!

saskie's picture
Yes, No, Yes, Yes

Moose - yes; although I would suggest a sturdier, heavier bullet

Bison - Not a chance. Those things are TOUGH; like .300 Win mag and up tough

Elk - Fine (again, a heavier bullet would be better but you have will be fine)

Caribou - No problem. (There's Bou in Montana?)

Griz/Brown self defence- well...lets just say if I was charged and had a .308, I'd still shoot at the bear, not myself; but it's considerably under-gunned for anything but a Black (Ursus Americanus)

buffybr's picture
.308 for Moose, Bison, Elk, and Caribou ?

Unless your friend's uncle owns a game farm with the animals that you listed (which there are not any in Montana), the only animal that you listed that you could hunt would be an elk, which depending on your age, would cost you $474.50 for a non-resident youth license or $794.00 for a non-resident elk combo license.

I've killed elk with 150 gr bullets from a .30-06, but I prefer the heavier 165-180 gr bullets.

Montana Moose licenses are only available through a drawing. It's been 24 years of applying every year since I drew a Montana moose license.

Moose are big critters, I'd also prefer the heavier 165-180 gr bullets.

Ted Turner has huntable buffalo on his ranches (there may be others) and a .308 Win would kill one with proper bullet placement.

Caribou occasionally cross the border from Canada into the extreme NW corner of Montana (the Yaak drainage and mountains) but there is no open season on them.

The only "brown bears" in Montana are the brown color phase of black bears. There are grizzly bears here, but there hasen't been an open season on them in about 20 years.

Your .308 Win, 150 grain Winchester XP3 Premium loads will easily kill a black bear with proper bullet placement.

there is a open fenced game

there is a open fenced game yard about 100 yards from his house the animals are spread out in miles in all directions. The owner dosen't care if we go out there to hunt but, we can only take select animals. The guy has a little breeding ground ( fenced in ) 2 miles away for caribou and bison. Everything else is plentiful.

Critter's picture
I would call that a high

I would call that a high fence game farm if he is raising the animals. If they are wild animals they still belong to the state of Montana and I would be wary of shooting anything on the property without the proper tags.

buffybr's picture
game farm

Like Critter wrote, that sounds like a game farm, which as far as I know, and except for Ted Turner's ranch and maybe one or two other private buffalo herds, hunting game farms are not legal in Montana.  There are a couple of guys near Bozeman that have special permits to possess captive bears, mountain lions, and a few other animals, but they are not allowed to have them for hunting purposes.

And again like Critter pointed out, all deer, elk, bears, and moose in Montana belong to the state of Montana and you must have the proper state issued licenses to hunt them, reguardless of who owns the property where they are.

A quick call to the regional Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks office could save you a lot of grief later.

buffybr's picture
game farm

delete

i think he has them tagged,

i think he has them tagged, he has all of them breeded. So he owns them, he has a few from alaska or canada transported here ( 10 animals total of each speciese 5 of each sex. ). 

Critter's picture
Buddies Uncle

jrhunter25 wrote:

i think he has them tagged, he has all of them breeded. So he owns them, he has a few from alaska or canada transported here ( 10 animals total of each speciese 5 of each sex. ). 

You need to be checking with your buddies uncle before you pull the trigger. Those animals sound like they could get a littl bit expensive to shoot.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like