14 replies [Last post]
exbiologist's picture
The .308 that isn't

Just to be different, I'm picking up a 7.65x53 Sporterized Mauser 91 this evening.  Can't wait.  Been wanting to do one of these for years, but when I found someone had already done the metal work, leaving just some stock work for me to do, I was sold!  Always thought the 91s were the best looking of the old military bolt actions.  I know they aren't as strong as a 98, but they look good and 150 grain .303 bullets at 2750ish or 180s at 2600 will do plenty of good things.

And Richards has exhibition claro walnut stocks on sale for $350!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Sounds like a fun project and

Sounds like a fun project and with a lot of the work done it sounds even better, and then to make a shooter out of it is even more fun. 

I haven't done one since I built my .257 Roberts Improved on a Japanese ariska action and that one was fun.  Latley I have been thinking abut a 6.5mmX284 on a old Savage action that I have.  There is just something about building up a rifle with your own hands that is a lot of fun.

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
7.65x53?

I don't know that cartridge but it sounds pretty close to 303 british - is it a rimless version?

What is the history of the cartrdige?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The 7.65x53mm came out around

The 7.65x53mm came out around 1890 and was chambered in the Mauserwerke Model 1889 rifle in Belgium.  It was also a common military round and rifle in South American countries around the turn of the century.  The case is what you would call a rebated case.  A lot of the old military rifles were inported here to the US in the 60', and 70's and if I can remember right could be bought for around $100.00

exbiologist's picture
yep

Neat little gun though.  Went to the gun show this morning to see if I could find some loading dies, but no luck.

hunter25's picture
I find rifles like this very

I find rifles like this very interesting with the history that goes along with them. I have never built one up myself but just finished a complete tear down and clean up of an old 577-450 Martini Henry.

This one was made in 1887 and then sent to Nepal where it had been in storage for the last hundred years or so. The crud in this thing was unbelievable, thanks to you tube for a video on how to completely take one apart. If things go well I hope to pick up a leftover doe tag to hunt with it this fall.

Here's a couple of pictures of the gun and the round that it fires next to a 30-30 in my hand.

PreviewAttachmentSize
DSCN0195.JPG
DSCN0195.JPG2.66 MB
DSCN0196.JPG
DSCN0196.JPG2.69 MB
DSCN0197.JPG
DSCN0197.JPG2.8 MB
exbiologist's picture
.577 Machine gun

Have you seen that .577-450 Nepalese machine gun?  Bet that would be a riot to shoot.

hunter25's picture
I had no idea there was a

I had no idea there was a machine gun in this caliber. These loaded rounds cost 6 dollars each so I doubt I would be able to enjoy one very long.lol

groovy mike's picture
thanks

Thansk for sharing the information and the photographs.  That is a cool old cartridge.  Let us know how the hunting goes with it

...and I thought I was the only idiot paying that much for cartridges.  My 500 Black powder express cost me $2 just for once fired brass.  I reload for it since there is no way that I am going to pay what they are asking for factory loaded ammunition!

hunter25's picture
This will give me 40 casings

This will give me 40 casings that I WILL learn to reload myself. TenX will reload them after fired for 3 dollars if you send them back though.

exbiologist's picture
I was going through Billings

I was going through Billings yesterday on my way home a quick trip up to Bozeman. Stopped at the Cabela's and found some Hornady factory ammo(with Prvi headstamps). I've been waiting on some brass and dies, but couldn't resist the temptation to finally shoot the gun.
Anyway, advertised velocity was 2800, which is higher than I've seen in any loading manuals, so I called Hornady about it just to make sure. They said they wondered too, as that's the velocity that was requested in the run they actually made for Graf's. Their tests found it to be perfectly safe in the Mauser 91s, soooo..... I went ahead and shot some this morning.

Took a few rounds to get sighted in, but once I did, she was looking pretty good, all things considered. Velocities were all over 2700 fps, a few were in the 2760s from the 21 inch barrel.