24 replies [Last post]
bitmasher's picture
300 WSM: The Greatest North American Cartridge Ever?

Personally, if I was going to have one round, I'd probably go 338 or maybe 8mm. The 300wsm seems to peakout at 180gr for most common rifle twists (although one may get a 200gr load to work in their rifle).

I have a preference to short case, short action rounds. 243 win, 308 win, 300 wsm.
I load the 308 with 150 gr and the 300 with 180 gr. and get almost identical trajectories and MPBR's of around 310 yds. with both.
I can't say that the 300 wsm is a magical round but, it does serve my purpose very well indeed.
I don't see any neccessity to use a bullet larger than 180 grs., from a 30 caliber round, in these lower 48 and the 300 wsm throws one as well as is neccessary.

while it is a bold statement...it's your opinion, and your entitled to it.

if this works for you...GREAT!
i think it's a positive you have confidence in your selection as an all arounder...

your choice is a solid one, many people choose a 300 mag of whatever flavor to rely on as an all arounder and have great success with them...

i personally cannot warm up to them like that...
i have a strong liking to them with a 180 grain pill, for most hunting, but REALLY like the ability to spit the 200 grain pills!
the short mags do give the slight benefit to reduce weight somewhat in your rifle, but still a lightweight 300 can be a handfull for most, and really to much for many.

i am glad to hear when anyone has focused on an all arounder, i beleive this promotes a real proficiency with the rifle of choice...
good luck, happy huntin'!

I've always been a fan of the 300 win. mag., and see no need to switch to the 300wsm. The 300wsm does give you the option of a short action and lighter weight rifle, but then recoil can become a factor. I have several rifles, including the 308, but always pick up my sako 300 win. when things get serious! It is a great long range caliber, and as far as ruining meat on smaller game, shot placement is the key. Having taken antelope, moose, bear, elk, mule deer, wt deer, and mt goat with my 300, I can say that I've seen worse meat loose with the 270 win. and like calibers.
I know it has been said many times before, but shoot a rifle you are comfortable with.

The 300 WSM is an good option (not sure about great) but it doesn't offer anything new in the cartridge world that isn't covered by another cartridge. All the new cartridges(WSM, RUM, etc.) are just marketing to fire up the gun purchasing market. Not to see they are not worth having. The world didn't need them, they wanted them. It is like my 300RUM. I wanted it but by no means did I need it but no regrets.

You could make that same arguement about almost any round though. I would save that for the ruger short mags or what ever they are calling them

You could really boil the whole cartridge world down to a handful of calibers and there would not be a need for any others. New calibers sell rifles and it is the full reason the gun companies produce the new rounds. Not many, if any, of the new calibers come in the cheap firearm packages. Think

I agree that many, if not all, new things are brought out just for the sake of sales, but in this case the 300 WSM is a sales booster that fit a "need": a nice shootable cartridge that fits the needs of the wandering hunter who may find himself anywhere in the states from year to year. And while I don't consider it a primary dangerous game rifle (I personally do not intend to hunt bears either), I think it is more than adequate for any inadvertent bear encouters within the 50 states (and plenty of people intentionally go after grizzlies with less). Also agreed that it doesn't do anything any other 300 does, but it does so burning less powder which allows a lighter rifle with the same capabilties. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot a 300 Win Mag in a rifle as light as my Browning, but the 300 WSM is entirely shootable with no real problems. Additionally, for the flying hunter who may find himself missing a bag it will be accurate with about any ammuntion you offer it - which gives it a logistical edge over the others (and yes, ammuntion is available within reasonable driving distance of anywhere these days). I'm not saying I would trade in an old faithful friend, but if old faithful is circling the drain and you find yourself looking in the all around category it would be tough to beat this one. Anyhow, I'm just trying to stir up a little conversation...

expatriate's picture

I agree with you, Highflyer, except on a couple points.

I think the .300 WSM is adequate for bears. As stated before, I plugged my griz at 125 yards and it punched a 180 gr TSX right through the shoulder, lungs, and out the far side with no problem. Shot placement is more important than horsepower.

I also disagree on ammunition being available within reasonable driving distance of anywhere. But I'll admit that Alaska isn't your typical place -- there aren't a lot of places in the Lower 48 that are off the road system. But I'll agree that if you're anywhere that has more to offer than .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag, chances are you'll find .300 WSM.

I know my local walmart and another sporting goods store dont even carry the 300 win mag anymore, only the 300 wsm, side note dont send your wife to get your 300 win mag ammo she will come home with 300 wsm, because the guy at walmart told her it was the same thing.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
North American Hunting clubSponxx201/17/2008 18:26 pm
Best .280 cartridge for ElkMaestroHC602/13/2008 05:28 am
Your Favorite North American CaliberNONYA4207/06/2005 19:36 pm
Factory cartridge length?Browning208/18/2013 01:44 am
cheap varmint cartridge for 25-06robertsgoalie01307/05/2010 15:45 pm