24 replies [Last post]
300 WSM: The Greatest North American Cartridge Ever?

It's a bold statement and likely to stir things up - especially from the '06 devotees. But, I'll make the statement anyway: I personally think this is the greatest all around North American big game cartridge ever. At first I wanted nothing to do with any short magnum, but after having these things thrown in my face in every sporting publication I decided to give them a look when it was time for a new rifle.

Most important (to me anyway), it can handle anything from antelope to moose with no inadequacy in distance capability or bullet weight. Ammunition is now available everywhere and most rifles tend to shoot most ammuntion well - which is more than I can say for my experiences with old granddad of the 30 calibers.

And while it provides nothing new ballistically speaking over any of the 300 family, it does burn less powder and give those ballisitic characteristics in a nice lightweight and compact package for those who like to haunt the high country or for those who have discovered the pleasure of hunting with lighter rifles.

And just as important as anything and a point I touched at the start, these things are just plain accurate. It is not difficult to find sub MOA loads in a variety of bullet types and weights.

The only downside I've see is that recoil can be stiff (but tolerable) and can be tamed down considerably with a good recoil pad. I wouldn't buy one for my twelve year old, but an experienced and capable shooter would not have any issues.

This is just an opinion from a one gun kind of hunter. If your are in the market for that perfect all-arounder and are a confident, capable rifle handler, this one might just be the blue ribbon winner of all time.

saskie's picture

Having seen the mess they make of smaller deer....no thanks. My 2 cents.

Sure, any bigger caliber is going to do more damage to a smaller animal. I'm not talking about the perfect deer cartridge, but I'm talking about the one that can get everything done and even have enough steam to travel in Grizzly country without any real worries. Certainly, if I were just tied to the local whitetails where I live I wouldn't bother with it, but for someone who may find themselves anywhere in the states it's sure a nice cartridge to own.

Don Fischer's picture

I think the key is you believe in it and shoot it well. Also sounds like it might be the only short mag to last. As for a varity of loads, I don't buy that as I use only one load in most my rifles. Usually a mid to heavyweight, and they cover everything. The recoil in a light rifle would bother me. For that and confining shots to normal hunting range I don't think the 308 Win can be beat, not even by the 30-06. I've never had a 308 that would shoot 150gr bullets well but they all shot 165gr bullets great. They were all pretty good at 180gr bullets also.

I'm just glad I don't shoot smaller deer with my .300!

All kidding aside, arguments can be made both ways for and against recoil. You can also debate bullet damage, but there isn't much meat on a ribcage.

I like the .300 WSM. With it's short case, it was built for accuracy and power without burning as much powder as the standard Winchester magnum, Weatherby or the RUM.......but I also like the '06 for it's availability.......and the .308 for it's low recoil and accuracy.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the .300 WSM stands the test of time. I think it will.

Agreed Don, believing in your equipment is a good part of the battle. Practice is another part just as big. And the right tool for the job is just as important. I'm actually a big fan of the 308 myself, but would not consider it in the all around realm like the 300. When it comes to the really big stuff I like a little more steam and a little heavier bullet. I won't even start the long range debate, because I'm not a fan of long range wounding. But, the 300 reaches out to the end of my personal limit with the 180 grain bullet without a lot of fuss or need for rocket science type of calculations, whereas the 308 starts getting a little tricky in terms of bullet drop and crosswind effects.

Don Fischer's picture

I'm not a fan of any 300 mag but if I were to get one, my search for bullets would begin at the 200gr bullets. I think that the beauty of the 300 mags is their ability to handle the 200+gr bullets. I also think the best thing about any magnum is their ability to deliver extended power at normal range as apposed to normal power at exended range. That would go for most magnums.

But I don't really care for the 300's because I can go past them to the 338's and handle even heavier bullets. I've had two 338's and they were awesome with 225gr and 250 gr bullets. they killed on both ends tho and to shoot them well, I had to shoot them a lot. Best I ever got was to be able to shoot 20 rds from a bench and still have my right shoulder function. first shot I ever took with one left a huge bruise on my shoulder and hurt something beyond bad!

By taking dangerious game out of the picture and limiting ranges to the short side of 300 yds, still very far, 300 mags give off a lot of unnecessary recoil compared to the 30-06 and the 308, neither which can handle the 200gr bullets so well.

I'm not very big on long range hunting either.

Big fan of the 300 Win. Mag.. Its a hand loaders dream. It shoots heavy bullets and I can step down to the 150 grainers for deer, antelope. I regulary hunt with a Rem 700 PSS 300 Win Mag out west. Yes,its a heavy gun and quickly turns into a boat anhor. Recoil is very mangable but he darn muzzle blast kills me. Hense the reason I don't use it as my primary SWS anymore. I can practice more with less pain in one day with the old 308.

Now, obviously I'm a HUGE fan of the 308. Having gone thru my magnum craze of my youth if I had to do it all over again,knowing what I know now, I would buy one 308 (save some money for more practice ammo) and kill everything that I've killed with my mags.

Lucky for me in my profession I get free ammo for both and have a life time supply of brass. Yes

Best of luck to all.

expatriate's picture

You guys read my mind. I absolutely love my .300 WSM. Mine's a 700 XCR topped with a VX-II, which is darned near immune to the elements -- but it's awfully accurate as well.

I initially despised the way in knocked me around at the range, until two things happened. First, I dropped a grizzly in its tracks with one round at 125 yards. Second, I went for black bear this spring and decided to use my old pre-64 M70 .308. I took it to the range to check my zero, and couldn't believe how tame it was on the shoulder. I'd shot the .300 enough that I'd become accustomed to the recoil and consequently shoot my less powerful rifles more accurately now.

One thing I do find annoying about the .300, though is that the recoil throws the flip-up scope cap back into my eyebrow. It doesn't do any injury and I can live with it in the field if I don't have time to take it off, but I'd prefer to not have to take it off at all.

As for the .308, I've always been a big fan. I took a six foot black bear with it last month using 165 grain accubonds. One round through the lungs and far shoulder, and that bear dropped dead as a stone within 15 yards. When I skinned it out, each lung had a hole the size of a 50 cent piece in it and the chest was full of soup. Can't argue with that.

For those who have never tried it, the Pachmayer Triple Magnum is a very effective recoil reducing pad. I've shot both a 338 Win Mag and 300 WSM with them and it takes all of the thump out of them. The Simms Limbsaver is also a good one too.

Highflyer wrote:
For those who have never tried it, the Pachmayer Triple Magnum is a very effective recoil reducing pad. I've shot both a 338 Win Mag and 300 WSM with them and it takes all of the thump out of them. The Simms Limbsaver is also a good one too.

I agree, I have a 325 and my buddy shoots the 300 wsm, both browning, and his seemed to have more recoil than mine, new pachmayer pad and their about the same now

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
North American Hunting clubSponxx201/17/2008 18:26 pm
Best .280 cartridge for ElkMaestroHC602/13/2008 05:28 am
Your Favorite North American CaliberNONYA4207/06/2005 19:36 pm
Greatest moose hunter in history?Scandinavia704/15/2010 15:16 pm
Factory cartridge length?Browning208/18/2013 01:44 am