7 replies [Last post]
300 WSM

Just Bought a 300 short mag. i dont kow if that is too much for deer or not? i have been shooting at 150 to 300 yards at some old bowling balls and it pretty much makes a grenade out of them. but will it ruin a deer???

300 WSM

Shot placement is paramount . Not the calibre or bullet. I've seen deer hit in the shoulder by a 100 gr 243 cartridge that you would think was hit by a missle. I seen deer hit with 300 win mag through the ribs with hardly any damage.
" it is not the size of The wand, but the Magic of the preformer"

300 WSM

My brother uses a 300 WSM and while it is definitely enough it does not damage any more meat than normal. And like Hammer said, it is placement all the way. It is still a .308" bullet.

300 WSM

When I rifle hunt, I use a 300 wsm. Elk, Bear, Moose, Caribou, and Deer.
It has 200 to 300 fpe more than a 30-06. I use a bit tougher bullet (bonded core).
As has already been said. Placement. Put your shot in the chest vitals or the, here we go, head.
With the bonded cores you'll get some great blood trails, if you don't make that picture book shot.
No, it isn't to much gun for deer. I personally favor it. Then again, ya gotta love those 30 cals.

300 WSM

I have to agree too. Shot placement is the key factor here not the size of the bullet. Bad placement reguardless of the caliber will ruing good meat. Plus the 300WSM will nock them on their butt. I use a S&W .308 and it kicks their butt.

300 WSM

Fantastic caliber choice!
I bought a 300 WSM last year and so far it has performed flawlessly. You were justified in thinking that it might be too much gun for whitetails due to the power of the cartridge, but just because the bullet has about 3,500 lbs/ft of energy doesn't mean that it transfers all of its energy to the deer. The more resistance the bullet meets, the more energy it will spend to get through. Last year I shot a deer with mine, and the bullet hit the backbone, leaving a quite noticeable exit wound. Normally it wouldn't damage any more meat than a 30-06. Like everyone else said, though, just make sure you hit the right spot.

While it's clearly more power than you need, it's a great caliber to control coyote and woodchuck populations with while you're waiting for another deer season. Have fun with it!

300 WSM

Make sure you stay with a good bullet, to avoid meat damage.

The 180 gr Nosler AB or Fail Safe better yet the 165 Barnes TSX.

300 WSM

180 grain winchester supreme accubonds is all i shoot in my 300wsm. there a bit better then the super x 180's. absolutley works flawless! Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up