3 replies [Last post]
300 Winchester Magnum Precision

I am interested in learning about the precision that one can expect from a 300 Winchester Magnum rifle and factory ammunition when fired from a bench rest. I own a Browning BAR 300 Winchester Magnum Lightweight Stalker with a BOSS. I would be especially interested in gaining information about precision (average group size and range) for semiautomatic rifles of this or similar caliber using magnum ammunition.

How do you like the BOSS? I have the BOSS in a Stainless Stalker 7mm Rem Mag. Pretty accurate gun, can get 3 strung together at 100 yards, sub MOA. That is just using the "sweet spot" setting. Haven't tweaked on it much.

The BOSS is Sweet

Hinkleid,

I think the BOSS is a real advantage for me. The muzzle brake makes my 300 Winchester Magnum Lightweight Stalker a dream to shot. The BOSS does really work as Browning claims.

I am in the process of learning more about the nuances of this device on my rifle. I had been using a plastic rest for sighting in my rifle but the recoil from my rifle would send it flying. I just purchased a Sinclair front rest and a rear bag. I plan to get better data once the weather clears up, and I will share it with you.

For now I can tell you that others also find the BOSS to be very helpful. You can read about others experiences at http://www.biggamehunt.net/node/18829 and http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39583. If the links don't work, just search for posts by jungleman on this forum and benchrest.com.

My goal is to collate the precision reported by BOSS users. Once I have the data collated I will post it.

Thank you for responding to my post.

Don Fischer's picture

If you haven't shot it from bags yet, you'll notice a big difference there. The recoil makes your rifle jump away from a hard object. I make my bags out of old jean legs and sand. Have no idea what to expect as I've never shot any auto loader centerfire rifle but, hear lot's of people that are happy with them. Just be realistic in what you expect from it, it's not a bench rest gun nor a bench rest cartridge.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like