31 replies [Last post]
bitmasher's picture
300 Win Mag....or...30.06
Hassan_Chop wrote:
Maybe I should change my name to Jesus or something.

Heh Heh...

The 30/06 is fine on elk. If your concerned about the 300 win mags recoil don't bother with it. Better to be comfortable with a sufficient cartridge then to be uncomfortable with a more powerful cartridge.

S.S. is nice if you don't care to clean up your guns much. S.S. sticks out like a sore thumb on sunny days (glare) though.

Some prefer blued for the classic look.

Dollar for dollar, I consider Burris a wise investment. There is nothing wrong with Leupold, it just seems like you can get more scope and the same optical performance from a less expensive Burris. Leupold does have a great assortment of reticles though that Burris can't seem to match.

The 30-06 will cover 95% of your hunting situations! and for the 5% exception, you can upgrade to premium bullets which are ballistically superior using Federal's High Energy or Hornady's Lite Magnum 30-06 ammo that basically gives you magnum performance like a 300 Win Mag.

Food for thought.
The high energy and lite mag loads are a welcomed option but, they don't do well in every rifle. Is that extra 20 or 30 yds of shooting distance worth it.

yes

Not really. Wink

Well as far as a 300 Win mag or a 30-06.................................................No doubt about it the .300 Win mag. With more powder and inturn creating a much faster bullet; it gives you a little extra range.And on to scopes!!!!!! Couldn't go wrong with a Leupold. I would suggest the VXII 4X12X40 Adj. Obj. Leupolds are the top of the line in my book. Not to mention their lifetime warrenty on scopes. and ss or blued thats up to you................any thing is better than a matte finish Big smile Big smile Big smile Big smile Happy hunting

recoil

Don't worry about the recoil,,when your hart is pounding and you have the cross hairs on a big bull elk,,you don't even think about the recoil on your gun,,go for the 300 mag,,you will not be disapointed,,also get a 3x9 leupold,,,i have had one for 35 years,,never had a problum with it,,hunter.

anytime you can extend your accurate range and downrange killing power its a good thing,go with it!! Thumbs up

If you are concerned about recoil, then go with a 30-06. At practical hunting distances, it is plenty enough gun. A 300 Winchester Magnum dumps about 35 percent more recoil than a 30-06, and what doesn't affect one person may significantly affect another. If you develop a flinch, which is very likely when dealing with 300 magnum recoil, you do not have an advantage anymore, you have a handicap.

Main question you need to ask yourself is how much power do you need and at what distance? If you do not intend to hunt at long range, a 7mm-08 Remington or 308 Winchester might be better choices. For longer range shooting, say 300 yards and a bit more, a 30-06 is excellent. Most game is not taken beyond that. In my opinion, the magnum is merely a matter of choice or preference in a situation like this, rather than a necessity.

The 30-06 is the most versatile .30 caliber cartridge in the hunting fields today. Because it uses less powder, and consequently develops less pressure than the .300 Magnums, you can hunt not only with 180-200 grain bullets, but also with bullets under 150 grains for long range varmint shooting. Basically your options run from 110 to 220 grains, but there is a 250 grain heavyweight available from Barnes. No .300 Magnum can match this versatility.

elk

I have shot over 30 elk in my hunting days. I have used a 7mm on 98% of them,,but one time 3 years ago,,i used a 270,,i put it down at 200 yards using this gun with a 150 grain bullet,,you see i have always said that bullet placement is the key no matter what gun you use on any big game animal. If you really have a proublum with recoil,,then shoot a 270,,that would be the gun i would use. One more thing,,you can pratic your flinching buy putting in an empty shell and sqeeze the trigger,,with the empty cartrage in you chamber,,this will help you out a lot ,,,you will not hurt your firing pin buy praticing this way Thumbs up ,,good luck,hunter 1947.