31 replies [Last post]
300 Win Mag....or...30.06

IMO no hunter is justified in shooting at game animals at distances over 400 yards.

Anonymous

Captain Obvious.........You evidently don't have the confidence nor ability to be successful at such shots! So be it as a man must know his own limitations. I suppose if one does practice a bunch and I do mean a bunch, you just might be able to acquire a certain expertise on how to hit targets and animals afar.

Now for those early years of hard practice, I do wish to thank some very great men of the US Army Corp, who took me under their wings and showed this raw recuit, what being a top rifleman was all about.

Please don't tell me about ETHICAL SHOOTING! I promise I won't tell you what to wipe your ARSE WITH, come time to take that so ever important dump. eye roll

Quick-Sand........

Please do not show yourself in my hunting camp. You have the manners of a pig in slop.
Fluff those feather in another forum.
What they are talking about is called respect, of which you are lacking. Except, obviously, the high regard you show for yourself.
You must be a very wonderful person or you wouldn't spend so much time patting yourself on the back.
After you get your head out of your ass. Clean the shit out of your ears and eyes. You'll get it. It takes some of us longer than others.

The ballistic differences you proclaim are, out of line, misinformation.
That's quite the fantasy world you've built around yourself. Try to contain yourself to facts. There are those that don't have the knowledge and need a helping hand. Not your bullshit.
Settle down. You may be able to blow smoke up your sons ass but, there are real world facts. Try a little harder.

I'll check back later to read your next lines of crap.

Quick-Sand wrote:
I will tell you I have taken with success for several decades, shots on big game animals like elk and mule deer over 400 yards and then some.

Maybe you have. I don't know you, so I don't know. There is no doubt that some hunters are capable of taking responsible shots at that range. There is also no doubt that most of the hunters I've met who claim to be such magnificent shots are, in reality, empty braggards.

Typically, the people who THINK they can shoot that far are horrendously bad at judging distance and imagine that they are shooting an elk 350 yards away when it is actually only about 150 yards or so. Either that, or the shots they are taking are completely irresponsible, with them having little knowledge of where their bullet is going to end up at that range.

Like I said, I don't know you. As such, I would never say that you are just a braggard. Absent evidence to the contrary, though, I have to remain skeptical.

Quote:
Unless you can walk on water or float through the air, it is damn impossible to get closer to elk on a ridge across a 300 or 400 yard canyon

Well, thank you! I'll take that as a high compliment indeed, but, really Quick-Sand, I don't walk on water or float through the air, even though you think I must. What I do is hunt elk with a muzzleloader. I don't get an elk every year, but I get them often enough to suit me, and I've never taken a shot that was farther than about 75 yards.

Quote:
One more thing Donny Boy!

Yes, one more thing, Quickie-Sandy-Dandy, your information about ballistics is completely wrong. A .300 does not give you a 100 yard advantage over an -06, nor does it give you any 450 ft./lbs. of energy. That is a simple, demonstrable fact. That you know nothing about point blank range, and apparently no more about ballistics in general, leads me to believe that the skepticism I expressed up above is well justified.

I never caught that one, Donmillion! Unless he's talking about muzzle energy, there's no way the 300 Win. Mag has a 450 ft-lb edge over the 30-06. Even a max load for that round of 3100 fps, which is close to Remington's load for the Weatherby 300, still doesn't give you that much edge at longer range.

Quick-Sand: Sorry, dude.

''Please don't tell me about ETHICAL SHOOTING! I promise I won't tell you what to wipe your ARSE WITH, come time to take that so ever important dump.''

Taking a dump is very important! So I will tell you what, when I run out of toilet paper, I'll print your long, winded posts.

While a 300 Win Mag does has an advantage over a 30-06 in most situations, the gap can be narrowed using more efficient premium ammo that's more aerodynamic with higher BC's.

Example:

In Winchester's 2005 Catalog, it states that their standard 300 Win Mag 180-gr. Super X Power Point has 2001 ft. lbs of energy at 300 yards.

Now, lets look on the next page for Winchester's more efficient Supreme line and you'll find that their 30-06 AccuBond in 180-gr. (with a BC of .507) has 2004 ft. lbs of energy at 300 yards.

The more aerodynamic 30-06 AccuBond round even started off with a 250 fps disadvantage, but was able to easily catchup to the Power Point with a much lower BC in the low 300's.

Moreover, Hornady's Light Magnum InterBond or Federal's Premium High Energy factory ammo in 30-06 can beat most STANDARD factory 300 Win Mag loads with regular bullets from Winchester or Remington.

http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/centerfire/results.asp?cal=50

Says here that the 416 Rem Mag has 17.5 inches drop with a 400 grain bullet, and Quick-Sand said here:

''Nonya! I suppose I will have to give you a class on Ballistics of a .416 Reminton magnum my dear young man. First off it kills with far less destruction than any 7mm mag or 300 win mag.

Actually the .416 Remington mag, will in fact shoot a 325 grain bullet very much in line to what a 30-06 will shoot a 180 grain bullet, as far as bullet drop goes.

Velocity of that 325 grain bullet was 2800fps. A 200 yard zero will put the bullet 8 inches low at 300 yards. So Nonya, I would certainly not call the .416 Remington, a caliber that shoots with "rainbow" trajectories understand. A 400 grain bullet will be 10.5 inches low at that same 300 yards. It is indeed a 300 yard gun for plains game! I have taken several very nice antelope species with it at 250 yards and that is not pulling your chain.''

http://www.biggamehunt.net/node/14143

that the 416 has only 10.5 inches drop at 300 yards. I smell a rodent.

I know, there's not usually all that much difference, certainly not 450 ft-lbs. Hell, a 308, with some loads, hits as hard at 300 yards as the 300 Win. Mag. hits at 400.

In all the years that I’ve hunted, I never had to shoot an Elk that as farther than 250 yards.
Maybe I should change my name to Jesus or something.
Big smile

In all the time I've been hunting I haven't had to shoot any animal past that mark.