41 replies [Last post]
.300 WIN MAG too powerfull?

That's a good point Captain. These rifle manufacturers spend a lot of time, money and inked paper trying to sell these new wizzbangs by telling everyone how much better they are. They fail to inform that the 30-06 is all a hunter needs to drop any game animal that is hunted in the lower 48 states. When the grizzlies make a come back. I would certainly be looking at something larger for the lower 48, but I would pass up the 300's and go to the 338's and larger.

These marketing agencies that are promoting these wizzbangs could have part blame in the risks that are taken with the use of these hard to shoot, over blown rounds, that aren't neccesary. I can under stand a guy being confused. With all the hype they throw out to the public. Guess what, the gun manufacturers let them do it, and encourage that this hype (deceptive misleading) is done.

Don't get me wrong. There are some very good rounds being developed, but they aren't neccesary.

They'll also tell you a 30-06 is not accurate, or has erratic accuracy, or tends to shoot fly-bullets, stuff I have never seen a 30-06 rifle do, while stating the whizzbang has perfect accuracy, they may even state an exact number, like saying it produces .20 inch groups at 100 yards or whatever. While I don't think my 30-06 has ever done quite that good, I have trouble believing very many shooters are capable of shooting a whizzbang that precisely. Hell, I have trouble believing most of those things themselves are capable of accuracy like that. Predictably, WInchester, for example, comes out with these WSSMs, I think so far we have the 223 WSSM, 243 WSSM, and 25 WSSM, that are supposed to be so great, well they're not. I don't think there's anything special about them, other than the fact that they take good natured, accurate-shooting rounds and turn them into varmint cannons. Plus, when held up to the 240 and 257 Weatherby Magnums, they're ridiculous. If you'll notice too, on hunting shows on television, it seems like every time they have someone hunting with a rifle, it's always got a muzzle-brake on it. Even when pronghorn are the target species! That's just plain crazy, those things aren't armor plated, they only weigh 90 to 100 lbs!

The reason I started this topic in the first place is I was afraid the 300 wm was TOO BIG for these local deer. A factory Remington CoreLokt 150gr 30.06 will blow out the other side. But it's going slow enough and has a soft enough tip to pull a nice sized chunk of meat with it. That's more than anyone needs.

However, my 30-06 has dropped a lot in accuracy, possibly due to my own negligence (very old sporterized 1903-a3, I didn't know you could warp a glass bedded barrel, and put about 30 rounds through it in about 2 hours of shooting) and now it won't group at all until it's heated up with about 10 rounds. After 10 rounds it's under an inch. But before that you're talking 6" off at 100. Not good for hunting.

I was going to buy a 270 when my buddy offered me his Weatherby 300 Win Mag (with a bitchen muzzle break) for a lot less than I would've for a used Remington or Ruger! So I started asking if the 300 would be too much power.

It doesn't matter anymore, because I bought it anyways. However, I've learned quite a bit from the way the discussion has progressed. This is great!

Slower velocity does not translate in meat loss, nor does a soft-point necessarily mean you're going to lose meat. A 300 Win. Mag will destroy more meat than a 30-06. I've seen plenty of deer taken with 30-06s to know they do not blow the sides out of deer, at least not under normal circumstances. IMO, even a 30-06 is an overkill for whitetails, not an extreme overkill, but it has more energy than is necessary.

That's my point, Captain.

BTW, My next rifle will be a Savage 114U with Accutriger in .270. Savage has a very accurate barrel design but has always had flimsy composite stocks and crappy triggers. The Accutrigger has eliminated the triger problem, the 114Ultra has a hard wood stock. Both problems have been solved IMO. That leaves you with a great shooting .270

Have to wait till about September though - no more $$$

P.S. My new 300 is one heck of a nice rifle. Even if it's too big for these small deer, it's totally awesome!!!

Jesse

If you learn to shoot that 300wm with proficiency. When you get the 270 this fall you shouldn't have any trouble getting proficient with it. They throw (different weights) bullets at almost identical trajectories. Anything out to 300 yds should end up in the freezer. Good choices. Sounds like your covering all your bases.

The 300 has a totally kickass muzzle-brake - it's not punishing to shoot at all. Instead of a violent kick, it's more of a hard push. I get worse bruises from a game of Skeet with my 12 guage than I do from shooting the 300 WM for an hour!!! It's dead accurate.

The only thing it needs is a trigger job (I like about 3 lbs, smooth, crisp pull). Once I've got that I'll be doing really good.

I had a chance to get a 300 Winchester Magnum, but I opted for the 7mm Remington Magnum instead. It's a better cartridge in my opinion than a 30-06, because it shoots faster, flatter, and delivers more energy for only a little bit more recoil. I have nothing but the best things to say about it. As for long-range performance, with 160-grain class bullets, it performs almost identically to a 300 WM throwing 180s, and it also shoots slightly flatter. I've gotten better velocities from my Big 7 than any load I am aware of for the 7mm WSM, which is probably part of the reason for my prejudices towards that round. Pretty much, as far as brand goes, I am almost completely partial to Remington. I also like Weatherby, they make some fine rifles too. Of course, some of the WInchester model 70's make fantastic rifles, and extremely accurate too. Like with the 300, you want lighter, faster-expanding bullets for the 7mm Mag, I would say a very excellent choice would be the 140-grain Nosler Partition, which achieves great velocities when factory loaded, but may reach 3400 fps MV in a stout handload. Plus the case size difference between a 7 Mag a 300 WM isn't all that much, 7 grains or so.

3 lbs. is getting kind of light for a hunting rifle under hunting conditions. It gets to easy to pull off a round before your set.

I have mine set at 3 3/4 - 4 lbs. They still work easy enough and I don't have to be concerned about touching a round off before I'm set. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Plus a bit of brush could set your trigger off if you don't have your safety engaged. You walk through some thick stuff and you'd be surprised what it can pull.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
gun calibreBazz610/04/2011 12:17 pm
Scope powerLamar210/05/2003 19:24 pm
Best 4/6-12 X40 or 44 riffle scope for under $250-300...MadMav704/15/2009 14:05 pm
Scope powerLamar210/05/2003 17:23 pm
Best Caliber for 70%Deer, 30% Moose & Elk???trevormcfar1106/26/2009 20:39 pm