41 replies [Last post]
.300 WIN MAG too powerfull?

Yeah, why do deer insist on trying to run when they are dead? I shot the heart out of a nice 8-pt, but it still ran about 30 yards. When I dressed the deer, there was nothing but jelly where the heart was supposed to be.

Why do some of you insist on shooting in the neck? I shot one elk in the neck and don't think which gun makes much of a difference if you don't hit bone or the jugular. it will still be alive. this elk I shot let me drag it down getting it already to clean had my knife out and was a bout to make a cut when it stood uped and started to run. lucky my rifle was near by so I could shoot it this time in the back of the head. For me no neck shots again.

Don't say never to neck shots. At 20-50 yds if an animal is presenting only a head and neck shot and it is a trophy animal I am shooting it in the neck for sure. I shoot for the boiler room if at all possible but will not turn down a neck shot if that is what is given to me.

Many years ago I went up to northern Nevada with my uncle. The big mulie showed me his head. Looked right at me from behind a big old Ponderosa Pine. No neck shots for me. He bolted straight away from me and I took the shot with the 30-06. Never did find the entrance hole.

HotCore, CorLokt, Bonded Core, Partition, Pro Hunter, Game King they all work well in the 300wm for deer. The bullet that shoots best is the one to use.

fuzzy bear you have to hit them first to find a hole. lol chester golf if that is all you have then i guess that is what you will get. remember patience will provide. Hey Fuzzy bear 4yrs ago I shot a muley on the run straight away from me with my 54cal dropped him cold, entered right next to his nut sack. this is one lucky shot I will have to admit. But when I was cleaning him could not find no bullet, or exit anywhere? Go figure.

Patience is not a luxury we have here in NS. With a less than spec. deer pop. and a high hunter pop. if you are presented with a clean shot you take it. I don't shoot through brush ever but a clean neck shot at 20-50 yds is a no brainer. The necks on our bucks provide large targets.

saskie's picture

My brother got his deer this past fall with a .300mag. It was a smallish deer - and at fairly "close" range (less than 100yds). Don't know what ammo he was using - but it blew the heart/lungs clean out the other side. It ran in circles for a bit with it's vitals flopping around outside the chest before it collapsed. The point in this case is the bullet worked just fine, but the lesson I draw from this is that there was a LOT of wastage on smaller animals.

And since we're drifting onto the subject, a neck shot is definitely not my preference, but if it's all I have I'd take it. I'd pass on a head shot.

Well if I had a choice between the head and neck. it would defenititly be the head. Granted it was under a 100 yds or not much more over, I feel comfortable making a shot like this. But then it all depends on who is behind the gun. Saskie I would assume (never ass-u-me) don't like using this word much if you see the break down of it. Ever since someone showed it to me. LOL. was using a at least 165gr to something like that to a deer. So a little overkill on his part. So here is a question for yea. If you are hunting for meat. Why then would you shoot in the neck and waste the meat? And then get all that blood shot around.

saskie's picture

As for the wastage - I would take wastage from a neck shot over an empty freezer any day. Actually, knowing my brother it was probably 180gr, and yes that's definitely more firepower than necessary for deer. The close range also played a part in the uhhh - "spectacular" results. But if I were in his shoes (needed the meat, last day of the season) I'd have done exactly what he did...shoot the first deer he saw that day, dress it and drive into town to buy his second tag and hope he found a bigger one before sunset. (You can only buy tags one at a time).

My personal avoidance of head shots has more to do with watching how fast and unpredicatbly a deer can turn it's head. I am completely confident in my ability to hit the brain inside of 50yds, assuming (there's that word we love so much - lol) it doesn't move. Given the way deer like to suddenly look around for without warning - that's too much ass u me' ing for me.

Neck(windpipe, spine, arteries)/chest shots are a bigger target which gives me more range, and yes they can bolt quickly if you're watching you can usually tell long enough before to hold-fire, and even if you do squeeze one off as they bolt - you've got more wiggle-room to still get a clean kill.

Saskie I feel that i need to clarify something up here. The head shots that I do are with the does, and cows which are mainly freezer meat. Hate to waste the meat, anyway don't like bloodshot. But when it comes to the bucks it's in the chest cavity all the time. How many tags you get? If we had deer like some states do, like them white-tails. I here from some truck drivers that come in where i work saying that they are like dogs to us here,. One point thou most of the land is private they tell me. And the landowners think that they own the deer and don't want anyone shooting them, but will complain about them. go figure. huh Had a landowner tell this to me once (those are my deer and don't want anyone shooting them) I was in a - doe -area dwr trying to thin out the herd but landowner says no.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
gun calibreBazz610/04/2011 12:17 pm
Scope powerLamar210/05/2003 19:24 pm
Best 4/6-12 X40 or 44 riffle scope for under $250-300...MadMav704/15/2009 14:05 pm
Scope powerLamar210/05/2003 17:23 pm
Best Caliber for 70%Deer, 30% Moose & Elk???trevormcfar1106/26/2009 20:39 pm