5 replies [Last post]
.300 Win Mag for moose ? What bullet ?

Could a .300 win mag kill a moose on a hunt ? What bullet and weight do you think is best ? Could you hunt Brown Bear and/or bison with this ? What bullet and weight for them ? I plan to reload long before I go on a hunt for them, just curious !

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
A 300 magnum is perfectly

A 300 magnum is perfectly capable of killing a moose but so are a lot of other smaller calibers.  From what I have read moose are not hard to kill but they take a while before they know that they are dead.  I have a friend that was up in Canada this last year and at his first shot on a moose the moose just turned around.  On his second shot the moose just stood there.  After the third shot both he and his guide was wondering if the scope was off, then the moose just dropped.  All three shots went right were they were suppose to go and he was shooting a .300 Weatherby. 

Now a brown bear is no different but you want a bullet that is capable of going through a heavy shoulder bone and then doing it's job in the body cavity.  Again a 30 caliber magnum will do it quite nicely but then so will a .30-06 with the right bullets. 

A 30 caliber magnum is designed to shoot large heavy bullets starting with 180 grain ones.  That is the idea of the magnum, it can shoot heaver bullets just as fast as standard rifles will shoot lighter ones. 

Now for a bison there would be no problem with that caliber or even smaller calibers for that matter. 

possum's picture
.30 DIA

The 300 WIN MAG is very capable of taking Moose and Buffalo with premium bullets. AS for brown bear I personally would want something larger than a 300 WIN possibly 338WIN or larger.
Moose are easy to harvest unlike elk a moose will bed soon after being hit. The elk will go till he drops

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator

possum wrote:
AS for brown bear I personally would want something larger than a 300 WIN possibly 338WIN or larger.

Quite a few years ago when I was thinking about a trip to Alaska for a brown bear I talked to quite a few guides. Their opinions varied quite a bit on the selection of a rifle and caliber. However there were a few that said that they would prefer that a hunter bring a rifle that they were comfortable with and could shoot well instead of one that they couldn't. Others said that they preferred the hunter to bring at least a .30 caliber magnum and other suggested a .338 or larger, these guides were the minorities.

Last year on my grizzly hunt in British Colombia the guide asked me what caliber my rifle was in. I told him it was a .340 Weatherby shooting 225 grain Barnes TSX bullets at 2900 fps. He just smiled and sent me to the range. After three sight in shots that cut a nice dime size hole in the target he said that it would do. I then asked him what he usually suggest to other hunters and he told me anything from a 7mm Rem mag that the shooter could shoot well and put the shots where they were needed.

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I almost had the opportunity

I almost had the opportunity to go to Sweden for a moose, they call them elk, hunt last year.

My friend suggested I bring a .308 Winchester. So yes, a .300 Win Mag will kill a moose given proper bullet placement. Something you shoot well is  the first order of business. It will do you no good to shoot a magnum if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

Many folks shoot a magnum when they would be better served with a non-magnum caliber.

As for bullets, I would look for the most accurate bullet in my rifle first. Then I would look for game performance. Bullets like the Hornady Spire Point, Sierra Game King, Noslet Partition, or Nosler Accubond would be my choice.

yep

yep that's plenty for moose. I'd lean toward heavier bullets in case you have to go through bone to down a wounded moose or the bear you mentioned....

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Illegal ShootingDownwind811/05/2010 06:35 am
bullet selection for .450 Marlinbullmoose77010/25/2003 00:57 am
7MMRM bullet for Moose7mmrmhunter810/27/2008 19:58 pm
Bullet Research/ The perfect all around bulletAlphaMan1611/20/2007 19:02 pm
2006 Maine Moose Hunt, Ammo Questiontourer511/30/2006 17:05 pm