55 replies [Last post]
WesternHunter's picture
.300 win. mag.-is it too big for deer

I think that the old soldier .30-06 is a great all-around cartridge for just about most any N. American game. Having said that I will go so far to say that I think it is a bit much for deer sized game (personal opinion). Not saying it's a bad choice at all, or excessive. What I mean is that if someone is going to stricktly hunt only deer sized or smaller game, you don't need a large over-bored caliber rifle. Those things can ealisly be cleanly killed with a .243 win, .250 Savage, .25-06 Rem, 6mm Rem, 6.5X55mm Swed. Mauser, 7X57mm Mauser, 7mm-08 rem. 30-30. etc.

I've had the misfortune of knowing a few guys who hunt pronghorn and deer with both .300 Rem Ultra Mag. and .300 Win Mag. Please Talk to the Hand I know for a fact that these guys can't shoot accurately enough to take advantage of those rifles effeciveness beyond 100 yards. Even so, inside 200yrds those cartridges are still just way too destructive on such a light framed/thin skinned animal to really do anyone any good.

I think a lot of guys out there hunting today were just never taught how to properly match the cartridge to their game. Too many inexperinced hunters are so obsessed with taking that unrealistic ultra long range shot that they buy too big of a gun and never learn how to stalk or close in on an animal to get within a reasonable shooting distance. It's supposed to be hunting, not sniping!! M21 sniper rifles with those huge complicated scopes are for military snipers, and used to pick off the enemy at 500+ yards, they are not for hunting game animals. It goes to show that too many of todays gun writers have way too much influence over some guys who just simply don't know what their doing in the first place. Brick Wall,)

But this is the land of the free, so people can use any caliber they want so long as it meets the minimum legal requirements. Big smile

Don Fischer's picture

Western Hunter, I'm really starting to like you! You must be an old guy? Thumbs up

WesternHunter's picture

Well thank you Don!! But to be honest I'm not really an older guy. I've just shot and hunted a whole lot in my time. There are some really good posters here on this forum with sound advise and experience. Many of you guys give good advise based on your own personal experience and knowledge and that's worth more than anything that can be read in a book. I can't claim to be an expert because I haven't made every mistake that can be made, and learned from it. I haven't hunted every species either. I only hunt a few species including, deer, elk, the occasional pronghorn, pheasant, and waterfowl. I'm always learning though. One rule I do follow though is that I'm not one to give into "hype" or "rave". Too many people today want what they've been brainwashed onto believing is the "biggest and best " A little research and testing can prove otherwise.

I've also had the good fortune to have been taught and to have hunted with some pretty experienced people who really knew what they were doing. Yes I do have my opinions about certain things, but what works for me may not work for others. I'm just glad that I had some proper guidance, and tried no to be mislead by "hype" and marketing ploys from gun or hunting magazine writers.

But hey thanks again Don !!!

Westernhunter said:
But to be honest I'm not really an older guy.

Don't worry, you'll get there !. All good things come to those who wait Big smile Big smile Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture

Alright Hammer1 Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up And your a young guy too....figuratively speaking!

This is probally the best site I visit for guy's giving sound advice and not getting all wrapped up in themselves. I'd mention who but the list is to long here.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Deer CallsHunter John509/19/2007 12:04 pm
15 DEAD DEER BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth2212/20/2012 19:06 pm
O.K. now what????alan511/23/2006 20:30 pm
Shotplacement at elk (red deer)?Kirrmeister503/14/2011 14:50 pm
MASSIVE DEER KILLING BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth703/17/2005 17:11 pm