55 replies [Last post]
.300 win. mag.-is it too big for deer

I shoot a .300 win. mag. for the elk season, is it too big for mule deer?

That's a good question... I too have a .300 Win Mag, and that's what I'll be hunting Muley's with this year. I have yet to kill a deer with it. (Blows the crap out of hogs, though!)

I've HEARD various stories. Good and bad. Here's the gist of what I've HEARD.

#1 - shot small deer through lungs. Passed through. Pulled lungs out the other side of the chest. Deer flopped around on the ground with it's lungs GONE.

#2 - shot large buck in the neck (common practice - but a shot that is NOT recomended for any hunter no matter how many years of experience). Bullet passed clean through. Deer covered almost a mile before it died. Hunter found deer the next day, animals had already eaten much of it.

#3 - Another neck shot. Same problem as above. Deer never recovered.

#4 - Solid shot in the bread basket, angling away from hunter. Bullet turned liver into jelly and blew out shoulder on far side. Deer did a front flip and died instantly.

Go with a nice soft lead tipped bullet, only take body shots (again - really shouldn't take any other shot than that except in extenuating circumstances) and it looks like a very humane way to kill. I'll let you know after deer season how it works for me 8)

Jesse

Thanks for the info "OZZ". I have "HEARD" the same thing. What kind of ammo are you going to use? What range are you shooting from?
Cori

bitmasher's picture

All things being equal, a 300 win mag will make a deer as dead as a 243.

However a bad shot in the rump will ruin more meat. It happens, even with the best intentions.

I can't remember... I'm shooting Hornady Light Mag, boat tail, soft points. Group very nice, and damn do they shoot flat! I think they're like 168gr or 180gr or something like that.

A bad shot will ruin more meat... True... but I'd rather rump shoot an animal with a 300 than a 243 so I make sure it's not going to run anywhere!

If you got it use it. lol

JLM

Just don't use Barnes X bullets. Had three of them zing right through a deer, they didn't expand at all just like FMJ bullets.

Core-Lokts do pretty good though

Hi guys,

I also shoot a .300 win mag. I find that the faster the bullet, the more damage the bullet does. I shoot the 165gr. Hornady SST. Great at long range on Elk, but on a deer at under 150 yards. Very Bad!
I hunt Elk on open meadows where a 300 yard shot is the norm. I love the accuracy of the SST, and the flatness of the load we developed for it. At 300 yards the Elk will go maybe 15 yards and drop with a good placed shot in the boiler room.
At under 150 yards however, this grain of bullet disintegrates on impact it seems. I shot a big 167 B&C whitetail a couple of years ago with the same load I hunt Elk with, and at 125 yards it did its job but, when skinning the animal later, the damn shoulder fell clean off, and the damage under it was devastating. I use a 180 grain Hornady spire point now for deer. The bullet holds together better, and mushrooms beautifuly. I took a great 180 4x4 B&C Muley last year at 130 yards with the 180 spire point, and it was a nice clean shot with good mushrooming, and little jelly.
I have come to the conclusion that the slower 180gr. bullets will do less damage at close range, and hold together great. The faster 165gr. bullets are better at longer distance, and hold good at over 150 yards as they are now starting to slow down, and perform at optimal capability.
To each there own I guess.

Good hunting this fall!

Muley17... am I to imagine you load your own bullets? What factory 300wm rounds would you recomend for deer between 100 to 200 yards?

Thanks.

Jesse

Hello Ozstriker22,

Yes we load our own.
I am a big game outfitter in Alberta, and the gun of choice around my parts of the woods is the .300 mag, or 7mm mag. Most of my clients use the .300mag.
I prefer to use the 180gr. Spire Point from Hornady at the distances of 100 -200 yards. I sight my gun in at 2 inches high at 200 yards. I load my 180gr. up with 82 grains of Reloader 25 from Alliant. This is the slowest burning powder on the market, and I have tried other powders to lesser avail. I use the same powder for my 165gr. Hornady SST, only with 83 grains of powder.
We have chronographed the 165gr. at 3430 ft/sec, and the 180gr. at 3210 ft/sec. Speed x Mass = hitting power. The 165gr. actually out hits the 180gr. at 150 yards by quite a bit. I can put the 165.gr through half inch checkerplate steel at 150 yards. The 180gr. puts a hell of a swell into the same piece of steel, but falls just short of going through. At a hundred yards, the 165 almost disintegrates, and the 180 goes through expanding well.
As far as factory loads go, I would use the Winchester 165gr. CXP3 loads.
I find that they work well as far as factory goes. It is a slower expanding bullet and penatrates well into the animal. The round is out of the barrel at around 3210 ft/sec.
We are off to Elk camp here tommorrow. We have 2 clients from Utah comming in for a 6 day hunt. We have seen some good bull's in the last couple of weeks here, and some big Whitetail.
Wish me luck!

Good Hunting,

Muley17

I'm very jealous... I hope you have a VERY successfull hunt!

Thanks for the advice on the bullet types... I never thought about shooting a metal plate at different ranges and checking the damage...

Sincerely,

Jesse Ostler.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Deer CallsHunter John509/19/2007 12:04 pm
15 DEAD DEER BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth2212/20/2012 19:06 pm
O.K. now what????alan511/23/2006 20:30 pm
Shotplacement at elk (red deer)?Kirrmeister503/14/2011 14:50 pm
MASSIVE DEER KILLING BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth703/17/2005 17:11 pm