18 replies [Last post]
300 win mag @ 30yrds GRAPHIC!!

Got My first buck yesterday!! he was a little guy but will be good eating!

I shot him brod side at 30 yards with my 300win mag using Core Lokts 150g
I'm concered with the amount of hide and meat it destroyed since now I have a bear tag to fill and dont want to put a 8in hole in the hide.
I"m pretty new to rifle hunting, is this due to the close range or???

Thanks TIM

Here is the entry wound no exit and only found small fragments inside

DAMN TIM!!!!

You really did a number on that guy didn't you? He is at least down, so that is all that matters. Thumbs up

I have never seen a large caliber rifle do that to something. I shoot rock-chucks with my .243 (but I'm shooting 125grn hollow points too) and it does that on the exit, not the entry. I shot my elk last year in the jaw at 350yrd with Remington Core-Lock 165grn out of my 300 Win Mag and it didn't do near that damage (again even on the exit wound).

And that is the entry wound??? Think So your guess is as good as mine. I would say it would be the range, either that or a defect in the bullet (but I doubt that thou).

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

Nice first deer and will be great eating! Thumbs up

I've posted for years that I am a little leary of core-lokt's for this very reason and no one ever takes me serious. Core-lokt's can take an animal down but in my experience they have a tendency to break apart doing exactly this. Not every time but sometimes this happens with core-lokt's.

Congrats on the fine meat buck.

Thanks for the info everyone!
I'm going to have to stick with the Core Lokt's unless I want to take off tomorrow after noon to sight in and thats one of the few afternoons I can hunt.

I hope it was just due to the close range. The new place that I was just turned on to by the DOW is much more open and should be longer shots.

TIM

exbiologist's picture

Tim,
Nice shot on your first deer. Light bullets that openly quickly are especially deadly on light game like deer and antelope, but they can sometimes be a detriment on larger game like elk. You really should consider upgrading to a tougher bullet. In short, no that is not normal, unless shooting a magnum with a quick opening bullet. In rereading that, and seeing how that is the ENTRANCE wound, I would be even more concerned. Upgrade now if you can find the ammo.

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

That would definitly be a defective bullet. Core-lokts might not be a premium, deep expansion bullet but they are not designed to blow up on impact. My 2nd deer was shot with a 130 grain core-lokt from a 270 win at 48 yards and I had perfect performance with about a 2 inch exit wound. So it wasn't the fact that you were close.

Where did the hide go off the side it was shot from? Are you sure that is a broad side shot? Or did you cut the hole open to show the damage? Either way I bet that deer went no where. Not a lot of running to be done with a hole like that in its side.

On a side note,, ever animal I have ever shot was with green box and have never had an issue with them ever. And pretty much everyone I have ever hunted with shoots them also.

hawkeye270 wrote:
Core-lokts might not be a premium, deep expansion bullet but they are not designed to blow up on impact. My 2nd deer was shot with a 130 grain core-lokt from a 270 win at 48 yards and I had perfect performance with about a 2 inch exit wound. So it wasn't the fact that you were close.

This sums up core-lokt's perfectly and I'll say it one more time and let it be. Core-lokt's sometimes perform as designed but sometimes they blow up like this. I grew up using core-lokt's and I'll never go back. I've lost a lot of meat from these things and one long tracking job.

In short they are a very inconsitent performing bullet.

if i was you i would at least get a bigger bullet with that big of gun i hand load the smallest all around bullet wieght should be a 165 or 180 you have a gun that will puswh those bigger bullets at the speed you need and ya that should not open that way thats a big red flag flag for me i would try a hornady sst next year and ya youe right there is no point in changing right now

I have had many people question that is the entry. Trust me I was there lol dead broad side 30 yards. His leg was slightly back. Was tryin to get a quartering away but at any second they would have scented me. He did actualy run about 20yards. Died about 15feet from me.
The 300 is gone after this season infavor of a custom 308 thats still in the Idea stages.

TIM

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Giving the fur trade a bad nameNight Raider1609/14/2007 11:37 am
53 3rd seasonwalkin1111/12/2009 12:18 pm
Travel Industry National Sales ManagerKuduman012/09/2009 14:07 pm
Camouflage Vinyl Auto Graphics - 11 camo patternsschoensigns109/06/2012 23:13 pm
Deer Video..... VIDEO CONTEST!!!!!C_Carr316010/20/2010 07:51 am