5 replies [Last post]
300 Win Mag

I am a new member and I am looking for any hunters out there that have a Browning BAR 300 Win Mag w/BOSS system. I have come across what seems like a good deal on one of these guns in the Mk II Safari with a 3-9-50 VX-II Leupold scope. I have been a bolt action man for the past 15 years and the only semi-auto I have ever owned was a 308 Rem 7400 and that was over 15 years ago. Here's the kicker(no pun intended), I can get the same caliber in an A-Bolt Stalker, but when I outfit this gun with the same scope as the BAR(BAR already has scope on it) it is about 60 bucks more that the BAR. Both guns are slightly used and in excellent condition. I just need some help here. I know the recoil is going to be a lot less on the BAR, but what are the other things to consider? Thanks!

300 Win Mag

Man, you mean to tell me no one out there owns one of these guns?!? Surely someone has experience with this gun.

300 Win Mag

I know a fellow hunter partner that has one without the boss and he really likes the rifle. The boss can only make it better and the scope is gravy. It is a little on the heavy side if that is a consideration.

300 Win Mag

I have a BAR Safari II in 30-06 w/ bushnell scope and a A-Bolt in .270 they are equal performance gun i just like the .270 caliber better. Either way youd be getting a good gun if the price is reasonable. The boss if it has the holes will ring your ears out for sure. They make a boss without the holes and has the same effect but it's just quieter.

300 Win Mag

Thumbs up I went with the BAR and it is one smooth shooting gun! My father-in-law has a BAR Safari 7mag w/out the BOSS so I had shot one of these guns before. I adjusted the BOSS to the suggested setting on the Browning site for 165 grain bullets and shot. First shot was about 6 inches high(previous owner must have been shooting heavier bullets) so I moved it down and shot 3 more times. Dead on 3 inches high at 100 yds. and you can cover the three shot group with a nickel with two of the three holes almost touching. I had always heard that you could get bolt-action accuracy from a BAR, but I am definitely impressed. And the best thing, absolutely no recoil to speak of from a 300 win mag! The second best thing about it is that the price of the combo(BAR, scope, sling and chaps) was less than the new gun itself sells for wholesale!

300 Win Mag

The BAR is a great rifle. I wish I could afford one, but have come to accept the 5/8" 100 yard accuracy of my plain jane Remington 7400 30-06 that's had the action / trigger reworked for improved performance.