8 replies [Last post]
300 Weatherby Mag "Recoil"

Hello Everyone,

I have a question pertaining to my new 300 Weatherby Mag. I can't say that I am one to shy away from recoil, but I have hunted with a 270 " shooting a 150 grain bullet. I don't notice the recoil at all. I just wanted to know if anybody else has shot this rifle and what they think of it. I am a little curiouse of the recoil. I havn't shot the rifle yet, I am waiting for the arrival of the rifle. I am 5'9 and weigh 165 pounds. I have hunted for many years and am wondering if the recoil will be very noticable compared to what I am used to

Re: 300 Weatherby Mag "Recoil"

If you have a reloading manual (or get some data off the web) you can use one of the free on line recoil calculators to get an idea (they ask for bullet weight, grains of powder, rifle weight, etc). As for body weight it doesn't matter as far as physics are concerned because no rifle kicks hard enough to displace a human body regardless of weight, height, etc. Some people shoot such rifles better than others and there are a variety of theories for the reason. With a good recoil pad (I prefer the Pachmayer Triple Magnum or a Simms Limbsaver) you will tame the recoil to a manageable point and the rest is just practice, practice, practice. Just one person's opinion other than the physics part - I didn't write those laws.

Don Fischer's picture

Whatever the recoil is, it's gonna be a lot more than the 270. You have a much bigger case burning a lot more powder and your probably going to be using a lot heavier bullet. You can probably learn to handle it if you find it heavy, just takes lots of shooting but don't overdo any one session.

Reciol is kind of a personnel thing also. What one guy fings objectional another has no problem with. Some guys wouldn't tell you if it did bother them, guy thing! Yes

Don Fischer wrote:
Whatever the recoil is, it's gonna be a lot more than the 270. You have a much bigger case burning a lot more powder and your probably going to be using a lot heavier bullet. You can probably learn to handle it if you find it heavy, just takes lots of shooting but don't overdo any one session.

Reciol is kind of a personnel thing also. What one guy fings objectional another has no problem with. Some guys wouldn't tell you if it did bother them, guy thing! Yes

+1 Thumbs up Don gives you some excellent advice. Given the same rifle model and same rifle weight, the 300 wby is going to recoil a fair bit more than your 270. With practice, you can adapt to any recoil and when shooting at game you won't even notice the recoil.

no bones about it the .300 wetherby is a smack. the recoil will be heavy. my father had a .300 wetherby and after 16 rounds he was done sighting it in,he figured good enough. my own .300 winchester was at about the same pace until i put a recoil pad on it. the rifles weight can be a factor also my .300 is very light and has a pretty good jump to it.

All the Wby mags kick. I know you wll love the round if the recoil does not bother you. Nice fast flat shooter. I suggest that you get off the bench as fast as possible after getting on target. I know guys that have developed a bad flinch shooting mags. from a bench. This is also the time of year when we start seeing lots of guys with shiners and stitches in their brow. Make sure you choose the correct scope with enough eye relief. Enjoy!

Thanks guys,

I went and put a box through it and I am very impressed. I flinched on my first shot, (was a little intimidated), but the kick realy wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Another thing that I was very happy with was, with my brothers 300 mag, the muzzle blast at the end of the barrel realy picks up the barrel, that wasn't the case with my rifle. My shoulder was a little sore later that night but nothing that can't be tolerated. Thanks alot guys and I look forward to filling my brain with great knowledge from you fine people.

weatherby 300 weatherby mag

i have a weatherby vanguard sythetic in 300 weatherby mag with a good recoil pad and the recoil isn't bad for me. i'm 6' and weigh 300. i love my rifle. it's accurate and light to carry.

I shoot a 300 Wby. Yes it kicks some. I reload so you can tame it down some if you want. It’s a great elk gun. When you shoot heavier bullets like the 200 grain at hotter loads you will really feel the recoil. When I shoot off of the bench this is when I really notice the recoil with the hotter loads. Other than that it a great gun for North America. It flat shooting, and it’s one of my favorites. I will be taking it to Wyoming this year to shoot Mule deer in the area around Afton Wyoming. Lots of long shots, great gun, and expensive ammo if you have to purchase it. Reload and save money. I suggest buy some 150 grain rounds and start shooting. You can move to a heavier load after you get some practice in.
Pappy

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.300 Weatherby with low recoil rifle combo ?candleman504/02/2013 16:33 pm
300 Weatherby Mag. "Recoil"t.lewis1109/15/2008 22:34 pm
300 win mag or 338 win mag? Semi-auto or bolt-action?dentodoc2209/15/2014 10:41 am
.300 Weatherby ?gatortag506/25/2013 10:43 am
257 weatherby magELK-AHOLIC404/03/2013 00:38 am