5 replies [Last post]
.300 Weatherby with low recoil rifle combo ?

I've been looking at the .300 Weatherby Vanguard S2 ( comes with scope ) and weights around 8.25-9 lbs after I put assesories on it. I will also put a Weatherby AccuBrake on it so the recoil is around a 30-06 and I will also put a slip on LimbSaver recoil pad ( claims 70% recoil reduction ) and then I think the recoil will be more in line with a 30-06 or .280 Remington. Would this be a suitiable rifle for a kid to shoot ? He will be shooting a 150-180 grainers and will not be shooting very often ( around once a month or more ).

buffybr's picture
.300 Weatherby

First, a lot would depend on the size and experience of the kid. If he plays first string tackle on his high school football team and has several years of shooting experience with a smaller cartridge or a shotgun, then a .300 Weatherby would be more suitable for him than if he is 12 years old with no prior shooting experience. The Weatherby AccuBrake will reduce the felt recoil by about 50%. A Limbsaver recoil pad will also absorb some of the recoil, but I have a hard time believing a 70% recoil reduction. A slip on pad will also add an inch or so to the length of the stock, which is not good for a smaller person. The .300 Wby burns about 40% more powder than a .30-06 which also makes it much louder than the .30-06. The muzzle brake redirects some of the high pressure gasses which reduces some of the felt recoil, but it also redirects some of muzzle noise back to the shooter. Ear protection is a must, even when hunting. Unless you handload, factory .300 Wby ammo is 2 to 4 times the cost of factory "standard" ammo. My .300 Weatherby is my new favorite rifle. It's a Vanguard barrel and action that I put into a custom stock. It has a KDF muzzle brake (which is very similar to a Wby AccuBrake), a Limbsaver recoil pad, and a mechanical recoil reducer in the stock. It's felt recoil is less than a standard .270 Win.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I agree with Buffybr.  One

I agree with Buffybr. 

One thing that I have never figured out is why someone would purchase a rifle such as a 300 Weatherby and then place a muzzle brake on it to reduce the recoil on it while hunting.  I do use one while sighting in a new load but will take it off for the final sight in and while I am hunting with my .340 Weatherby.  With the muzzle brake on you will essentially turn the 300 into a 30-06 due to the velocity that is lost through the brake, so why not just purchase a 30-06 in the first place.  The ammo is cheaper along with being a great caliber for a younger hunter that isn't going to get that much practice at the shooting range.  And you don't have to put all kinds of gadgets onto the 30-06 to reduce the felt recoil.

Don Fischer's picture
Don't get it

Critter wrote:

I agree with Buffybr. 

One thing that I have never figured out is why someone would purchase a rifle such as a 300 Weatherby and then place a muzzle brake on it to reduce the recoil on it while hunting.  I do use one while sighting in a new load but will take it off for the final sight in and while I am hunting with my .340 Weatherby.  With the muzzle brake on you will essentially turn the 300 into a 30-06 due to the velocity that is lost through the brake, so why not just purchase a 30-06 in the first place.  The ammo is cheaper along with being a great caliber for a younger hunter that isn't going to get that much practice at the shooting range.  And you don't have to put all kinds of gadgets onto the 30-06 to reduce the felt recoil.

I don't get that either but a lot of people do it. If your goning to stay in the 150 to 180gr weight's, why not just get him a 30-06 or 308? I have always felt that what makes 300 mags shine was 200+ gr bullet's.

possum's picture
Why such a large calber for a young shooter ??

I looked at your other post about a 338Win and a young shooter with limited experience and recoil concerns. I am curious as to why you would want to start a young shooter on a 338 WIN or a 300 WBY ? Personally I would look at something a lot smaller until the shooter was comfortable to shooting, Possibly the 30-06 as mentioned above or a 7-08. If the young person ever gets bit by the scope he may never shoot well. Everyone handles recoil and noise differently and the young person may be ok with it; but what if they aren't ? I only shoot a 338Win (Sako TRG-S) No bells and whistles on it; Recoil is light in my mind but i wouldn't let my grandson shoot it: Just my opinion

RedTeam98's picture
300 WBY

I would not start a young hunter out on a 300 weatherby. I started all my boys out on a 308 Win. 

after the 308 win then we steeped up to the 30-06.  

That was the last gun I let them use if they wanted more by their age(older) they bought it the 300 win mag.........very popular here in Alaska.

one son stayed with the 30-06 the other 2 went to the 300 Win Mag.

I have a 300 Weatherby and 300 win mag no difference in hunting/killing.  but the weatherby is pretty.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
300 Weatherby Mag "Recoil"t.lewis809/09/2008 07:42 am
300 Weatherby Mag. "Recoil"t.lewis1109/15/2008 22:34 pm
Weatherby Ultra-lightELK-AHOLIC312/09/2007 07:42 am
257 weatherby magELK-AHOLIC404/03/2013 00:38 am
Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .300 win mag ?jrhunter25102/10/2013 10:00 am