16 replies [Last post]
300 ultra mag

i have acquired a winchester 300 ultra mag about three years ago. Im having a bit of an issue finding ammo for it. I can find short mag and standard 300 rounds. Anyone have some advice.

300 ultra mag

Well, your best bet to have a readily available supply of ammo for your self would be to hand load.

300 ultra mag

yes, ive thought of that but i really dont have the room for it. I bought this gun for big game, Moose, Elk, and hopefully brown bear soon. if i need to replace this gun for something with easier to acquire ammo what would you guys recommend?

300 ultra mag

wow, 29 views and no advice, Not even a recomendation of a rifle to replace mine and accomplish the same thing?

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
300 ultra mag

Go to midwayusa.com. They have it for sale. I didn't check Cabela's but I bet they have it too.

Midway has very fast shipping. Order it and you'll get it in a couple of days.

300 ultra mag

thank you , ive never heard of Midway. I'll look them up.

300 ultra mag

A winchester in 300 RUM is a rare find. I'd say the rifle came from the custom shop of winchester. As far as I know, they didn't release an off-the-shelf commercial rifle in 300RUM because they were pushing their 300WSM which was competing for the same market. You may have a keeper there. Thumbs up

As far as your problem with ammo, any of the larger retailer will have the ammo in stock. I reload for mine now, but with factory loads mine liked the Remington Premier Ultra-Mag Scirrocco 180 gr. the best followed by the partitions. I reload barnes triple-shock (highly recommended) in mine now and I think federal is offering a load with this bullet. Although it is not a caliber you plink 200rds at a time with, you may want to start looking at reloading when you compare the cost of new ammo. I just use a turret press for this caliber so it doesn't take much room. If you buy a press in the future, make sure it is big enough to fit the casing. It is an issue with some of the presses.

300 ultra mag

thank you,

I checked out the Midway site last night and was pleased to find that they just about any brand and grain in this caliber.

I have a bass pro near me but they stopped carrying much in this caliber and could not find what i have been shooting, which is exactly as you suggested, Remmington Scirocco 180gr.

I think you are correct, i believe this gun is a bit rare, while i have been visiting different stores trying to locate ammo many people have told me there is no such thing as a Winchester 300 UM. One guy wanted to argue with me so i went home and brought it for him . He didnt know as much about guns as he thought he did . Thumbs up

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
300 ultra mag

I think you'll like dealing with Midway. They ship very quickly - they are even there on Sunday for phone orders or assistance.

I just use their online site.

exbiologist's picture
300 ultra mag

I also have a Winchester M70 in 300 RUM, it is not a custom shop rifle, just a limited run of M70 Sporters(blued and wood) produced in that caliber. I have not run across another one like mine, but I bought it new from a big gun store in Montana. As for ammo, Midway has the best selection, and as far as I can tell they sell nearly every everything from even the smallest manufacturers. They have decent, but not the best prices-check Natchez or Sportsmans Guide for that. I used Remington 150 gr Sciroccos for everything when I first got it, but I now handload for her. Also, from Midway I think the best deal is the Nosler Custom ammo, very competetive prices

300 ultra mag

you say yours is blued ? mine is stainless with wood stock .

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
300 Remington Ultra Magnumwonksy1312/07/2008 23:29 pm
375 Rem Ultra mag 300grain Swifteyeman110/27/2008 17:37 pm
rifle adviceshotgundoe1801/20/2006 19:53 pm
300 ultragary brezinski509/01/2006 14:26 pm
257 weatherby magELK-AHOLIC404/03/2013 00:38 am