5 replies [Last post]
300 ultra

am building a heavy sporter in 300 ultra.it will have a 28 in barrel 700 action 40 x stock.would like to find a place to shoot at elk at the longer ranges.am looking at say 600 to 800 yards.i have talked to people on long range hunting forum on this and as long as i do my part i see no reason why this can not be done.
gary b

300 ultra

I hope you have a flak vest on!!! Thumbs up

300 ultra

Flak vest?

Yes, this long-range issue is a sore one with many of us. Consider this over all else: Every animal you shoot at deserves a dignified and quick death.

Now, here's where things get messy. First, I don't think I've ever seen an elk at the ranges you desire, unless there's a very significant terrain feature (usually a BIG canyon) between us. Second, there aren't that many hunters (and I don't mean this in a bad way) capable of making a killing shot at those ranges. Third, in the event you do manage to strike the elk where you aimed, the cartridge/bullet combination must be able to do the job. Whether or not you buy into the "foot-pounds-of-energy" argument, look at how much your cartridge's performance drops out to 500 yards (where most tables end), and imagine how much LESS effective it'll be at 600, 700, or 800 yards?

I'm not an expert, and I know lots of guys brag about shots at extreme ranges, but my recommedation to you is that you NOT endeavor to place yourself at a place of disadvantage by shooting at extreme ranges - not only from the perspective of collecting your game, but by the prospect that you'll mortally wound and not recover a magnificent animal that deserves better.

Good luck!

300 ultra

Oh, and an add: I see you're talking about a M700 with a 40X stock and 28" barrel?

Years ago, I made the mistake of taking a light rifle with too much scope into the elk woods. Fortunately, I'd brought a lower powered scope much more suitable to the terrain, but it was attached to a M700 Safari Grade HB in .375. I hauled that pig around for four days over hills and valleys through bogs and over miles of deadfall lodgepole pine before finally getting a shot. It was too long and too heavy and hasn't been back in the elk woods since.

Unless you're hunting elk on the plains, you're going to be extremely lucky to find a situation that would suit the rifle you describe. Nor are you going to be very mobile in the elk woods (which is a highly undesireable condition to be in when hunting elk).

If you're still planning on trying this, I'd spend every minute I had at a good KD (Known Distance) range and not listen to us here on forums, whether or not we encourage or despise sniping game.

300 ultra

Just for my benefit, can ANYONE tell me how much a 180 gr bullet drops at 700 hundred yards and how much will it drift in a 15 mph crosswind with gust to 20 mph
Just curious in case I ever have to take the shot . I couldn't find on a ballistic table.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx

I wonder why ???

300 ultra
Hammer1 wrote:
Just for my benefit, can ANYONE tell me how much a 180 gr bullet drops at 700 hundred yards and how much will it drift in a 15 mph crosswind with gust to 20 mph
Just curious in case I ever have to take the shot . I couldn't find on a ballistic table.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx

I wonder why ???

If the rifle was sighted in at a common 250yd zero, a 700 yd shot with a 180 gr. partition remington factory load would drop about 80 inches and have a drift about 51 inches with a constant 15mph wind!!! That should be no problem with a deer size animal at that range. Brick Wall,) Talk to the Hand

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
300 ultra magmattsn1609/29/2008 15:16 pm
300 Remington Ultra Magnumwonksy1312/07/2008 23:29 pm
375 Rem Ultra mag 300grain Swifteyeman110/27/2008 17:37 pm
rifle adviceshotgundoe1801/20/2006 19:53 pm
257 weatherby magELK-AHOLIC404/03/2013 00:38 am