5 replies [Last post]
.300 or 30.06

I am a fairly new hunter and learned on elk in Colorado (go big or go home!). Having recently moved to California, I find that I am now hunting deer for the first time.

I own a Remington .300 win mag and am considering using it for the upcoming deer season in California. I am thinking that it may be too much of a cartridge in 180 for the deer in this area. My options are to purchase a newer rifle, but would rather not. Looking at ballistics, I can't find a huge difference between my rifle and a 30.06 (`300 fps).

Any suggestions or concerns over the .300? I love this rifle and am a competent shooter. The area I have drawn is "close in" and I am expecting to find deer in the 100-200 yd range.

Would appreciate any comments.

.300 or 30.06

I use a.300 win mag on deer and do not think it is too much. I have used two type of loads while hunting 180 and 160 grains and both do the job. I would not go out and buy a new rifle, 180's are fine but if you feel uncomfortable try 160 loads. You cant beat the ballistics of this caliber.

.300 or 30.06

I agree that this caliber is excellent. A few friends have suggested that lower grain rounds may shatter and destroy some otherwise viable meat. I plan to put the round through the vitals...so am hoping it won't be a problem. I am going with the 180 grain as it is what I am familiar with (for elk). Any advise on penetration? I won't take a shot unless I know the backstop is solid, so it should not be a problem either.

Can't wait for the season! Bought a new set of Mossy Oak today at Cabelas in Reno.

.300 or 30.06

I can't find much bad to say about either except the 300 win has a bit more recoil. I have killed Elk and Mule Deer with the 300 with great results on both. The last Mule I shot was standing in front of a large stone backstop at 113 yds. I watched the bullet zip through the vitals and spray up the stone behind. The deer took one leap and piled up. I'm sure that round would have penetrated a bull just as well. Depending on your shooting ability and the type of country you are hunting in could be your determining factor. Also, the cost of the ammo for the 300 is much higher. Use the right bullets and meat damage is usually not the issue. By the way, 300 fps for a 180 grain bullet is a huge difference. I say stick with the 300 and use Barnes TSX for everything.

.300 or 30.06

I have both the 300 weatherby and 30-06, I have hunted California all my life and killed deer with both, the 300 will do some damage, but so will by 30-06. The key is shot placement. I personally would not go an buy another gun, unless you just like to buy guns, like I do. This year I'm shooting a 168gr Barnes TSX, Hand loads....the regulations in my area only allow for copper bullets.

Joe

.300 or 30.06
Joetech34 wrote:
I have both the 300 weatherby and 30-06, I have hunted California all my life and killed deer with both, the 300 will do some damage, but so will by 30-06. The key is shot placement. I personally would not go an buy another gun, unless you just like to buy guns, like I do. This year I'm shooting a 168gr Barnes TSX, Hand loads....the regulations in my area only allow for copper bullets.

Joe

i shot a 300 once. thats all my shoulder wanted. i hunted for 12 years before deciding to bow hunt this year and now im hooked. i killed all 9 of my deer with my ruger 7mm mag. i love this rifle. i can hunt anything with it from antelope to elk. for deer i use a winchester supreme ballistic red tip 140 grain bullet and it does the trick. if i were ever to buy any other caliber it would be a 30.06 or a 270 but i really dont see the need. the last 5 i killed were all running one shot kills with last years being 300 yards at a dead run. thats when i decided it was no longer a challenge so this year i tried with a bow and i have met my match. didnt tag out but saw more BIG bucks than i ever saw in the 12 years rifle hunting combined. i would say shoot several different calibers and let the gun pick you. good luck