15 replies [Last post]
good idea

I like the idea of taking neck shots over vitals. Lesser mess sounds better.

Dumb question though. At what point of the neck would you aim at? Towards the back of the head? Middle in all directions? Closer to the shoulders?

Do you guys think that head shots are ethical? Cause if I was close enough, and had a sure shot, I'd rather shoot there. Just wonderin'.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
It is my personal opinion

It is my personal opinion that you should avoid a head shot on a animal unless that is your only option, and then only if you have a rock steady hold and know exactly where your shot is going to go. I have seen a lot of deer and elk with their lower jaws hanging down do to a head shot that has gone wrong. I will admit that I have taken head shots but all of them have been less than 100 yards and I knew exactly where my bullet was going to hit after I pulled the trigger.

I also try and avoid neck shots for about the same reason. I have seen animals go down due to the shock of the bullet hitting them in the neck but have gotten back up a short while later and ran off. If you do plan on taking a neck shot you should know the anatomy of the neck of the animal that you are shooting at. The spine isn't usually where a lot of hunters think. That along with the spine only being about 2 1/2-3" in diameter makes a small target. The same can be said about the jugular veins in the neck.

So in my opinion until you know your rifle like the back of your hand and know exactly where it is going to hit avoid the head and neck shots and go for the body and leave the head and neck shots for finishing off the animal when you get close if you have to. You are going to get bloody with any shot when you clean the animal even if you do the gutless method and if you learn the proper way of cleaning a animal it really isn't that messy.

possum's picture
GOOD ADVICE

Critter wrote:

So in my opinion until you know your rifle like the back of your hand and know exactly where it is going to hit avoid the head and neck shots and go for the body and leave the head and neck shots for finishing off the animal when you get close if you have to.

This is VERY SOUND ADVICE::::::Well Said Critter

possum's picture
Head shot

PapaSzakal wrote:

I like the idea of taking neck shots over vitals. Lesser mess sounds better.

Dumb question though. At what point of the neck would you aim at? Towards the back of the head? Middle in all directions? Closer to the shoulders?

Do you guys think that head shots are ethical? Cause if I was close enough, and had a sure shot, I'd rather shoot there. Just wonderin'.

An animals neck is a small target, it takes a lot of practice and a good rest to consistently take those shots. I have shot the same rifle since 1996 and i shoot it a lot. I will take it out gopher hunting for the day, I shoot it like most people would use a 22.  My advice would be practice on paper a lot with your rifle and get confident with it.

I usually aim where the head and neck meet. Personally i won't do head shots at all. I have found when you head shoot an animal it does not bleed out well as the head has no big arteries and all the blood is retained in the meat.

I have been in the scenario many times with only a head shot being offered and i passed and subsequently the animal walked off into the bush never offering anything more than the head shot. I should mention that in regular moose season here i hunt from a boat and when the moose are in the willows on the shore they are somewhat visible but not clear for a sure shot.

that settles it then

Rest assured the advice given will be kept and passed on.