6 replies [Last post]
30-378 wby

My hunting buddy came by last night with a 30-378wby. This gun was a monster(the bullet) gun was fairly light. This morning we took it to the range. This was the most crisp, flat shooting, nail driving gun i've ever seen. This baby was great. What makes it even better was that it was rght out the box.

Checked the ballistics on the wby website and the 30-378 wby has 2500ft lbs of ENERGY at 500 yards, 4500ft lbs energy at muzzle.

In other words this was a .308, 30-06, 300wm all in one cartrigde and on crack

This was a serious killing machine. Not sure what he'll be shooting with it though

Anyone have any experience with this cartridge?

30-378 wby

A 30 caliber round that shoots a 180 grain bullet at 3450 fps MV is a MONSTER.

I shot the 338-378 last year, we blew up a bunch of Sierra Mist cans with it at 100 yards. It kicked like a son of a.. well anyway, it kicked.

30-378 wby

At $3 to $4 dollar a squeeze. It could be a high end, x-long range prairie dogger. That is, if your bones are made of steel.

2500 ft/lb at 500 yds is alot of punch for these lower 48. Because the round has the capability doesn't neccessarily mean that it's wise to use it. That's a long way.

30-378 wby

With that round, I like it, but I don't like it, at the same time. It's a neat round, its super fast and hits harder than any other .30 caliber round, but it's a bit impractical for a case that size to shoot .30 cal bullets.

30-378 wby

Took the 30-378 to a friends farm who was having a predator problem. We contacted the local game fish commission and asked for permission to discard a few coyotes. Permission was granted Yes .

The farm was a 200 acre ranch with well over 600 yd shots. The coyotes where attacking the cow on this farm and killing them. We knew exactly what time of day they were coming in. I sat in my friends barn and waited about 45mins until one came in.

The coyote was 412 yds away( Range Finder). HE was heading in pretty fast at the cows. I fired one round into the area of the coyote to make him stop, which he did, chambered another cannon and fired.

I placed the cross hairs right on the yote and squeezed. The shot was so ferious I didnt see the animal go down but I didnt see it run off. I wasnt for sure if I made the hit. We rode the 4 wheeler to the spot and there he was

The damage that was done to this yote really made this gun look like a beast.
The yote was literally torn in half. The bullet hit the yotes spin and it looks as though the bullet exploded.

MHO I would not recommend hunting a trophy with this caliber cause it is simply to much and the recoil is by far the worst I have ever felt.

It was fun shooting it Thumbs up

30-378 wby

fires a round to make him stop?If you missed the first shot on a yote around here you wouldnt get another...

30-378 wby
AlphaMan wrote:
I fired one round into the area of the coyote to make him stop

Why didn't you fire one round to make him die instead?... Think