20 replies [Last post]
30-06 OR. 270???

now i know the majority of us are gonna choose the 30-06 becasue its 30 cal and you can get the 180 grainers but is there any 270 fans out there? i had one for years but recently sold it when i bought my new wsm. it killed alot of deer and moose over the years and most of them were great kills. some around here argue it to be the best deer caliber in the woods while alot find the 06 a bit heavy for deer. theres always gonna be debate guys just wondering what you's think?thks again

30-06 OR. 270???

I have a 270 and am a reloader since 30 years. My 150 grainers leave the barrel at 3150 fps with 3000 ft/lbs energy(approximately). You're not going to come close to that with factory loads in either 270 or 30.06.
I bought my son a 30.06 for XMas 14 years ago and there have been seven shots ffired to sight it in and he hasn't used it since. Obviously I like the 30.06 too.
THe 270 is more than enough, and better than most for the game we hunt in the maritime provinces.
I would much rather have a 270 win,reloading gear and the best components than a 30.06. The 270 also excels with factory ammo too unless a person wants to argue the heavier bullet weights for the 06.
A friend of mine once told me" I'm using 180 grain bullets, I fired at the moose and missed, fired again, hit it in the same spot, rifle is right on"

cool cool cool

30-06 OR. 270???

ya i'm a real fan of the 270 too man. like you say bullet weight is the only real thing anyone could argue....i used to use the federal premium high energy 150gr. sierra game kings in mine they worked beautifully.thanks for your input

Don Fischer's picture
30-06 OR. 270???

There is no best cartridge in the deer woods. But some rifles are better than others in certain applications. I am not a big 243 fan but from the 250-3000 on up, all cartridges are more than adequate. in fact I believe that for deer cartridges, the standard cartridges are superior to the magnums. Magnums are usually harder on the shoulder and that does affect the ability to shoot as well as possible, to different a degree for some. Next, most of the magnums preforn better with a min 24" barrel and some 26". Those don't make for quick handling rifles in tight cover. To take a magnum and castrate it by shorting the barrel to 20" or 22" is to defeat the cartridge. In that case, standard cases operate at near or the same preformance with less muzzle blast and recoil. Then when using the magnums at relatively close range at magnum velocities, a severe toll is taken on cup and core bullet's and the user is generally better advised to use premium type bullet's.

The purpose of the cartridge is to launch a bullet, that's about it. Much better to spend time on is the selection of bullet's for whatever cartridge you'd choose. Then what we find is that for whatever personnel reasons, each of us developes our own idea of what constitutes the perfect cartridge. And we are generally all correct. l placed 120gr bullet any more or less effective from a 250-3000 than an equal shot from a 500gr 458 win mag? Of course not!

30-06 OR. 270???

my stainless stalker browning 300wsm come with a 23"barrel and it works flawlessly i love it. its quick and lite and has lots of power.i'm not one bit upset that i sold my 270 for this gun. dont get me wrong my miss my ol .277 caliber but i think i'll get over it pretty quick Thumbs up 300wsm Thumbs up

30-06 OR. 270???

hmmm ....Me thinks some went off the reservation here...He wasnt asking about magnums at all ... He wants a true comparison between 270 and 30/06.

In all truth...If you reload... You will be better with the 30/06 for one reason and thats versitility... You dont have the bullet choices with .270 as you do with the 30/06...Now granted yes you do have alot of choices but in all reality the 30/06 does have the .270 beat in many respects in both weight of bullet and in range. Will a 150 grain well built bullet be effective on a moose? Yes with Perfect placement and a little luck...Will a 180 grain to 220 grain bullet be MORE effective? Yes it will. The key with the 30/06 is reloading. You mentioned that some say its too heavy for deer...Not true at all...Again its all in bullet choice. You can make a 30/06 one hell of a varmit rifle or a Moose gun..In my own lil opinion it is a Much better all around caliber than the .270...Im not knocking the .270 at all..I have a couple and I love them both for deer...Would I pick it over a 30/06 for moose? NOPE...As I said...The versitility of the 30/06 is pretty much unmatched bye any other caliber and I feel thats why its been around as long as it has and will be around alot longer than alot of these wsm rounds and such Yes

30-06 OR. 270???

I chose to go with the .270 and enjoy the gun very much (BAR Safari Stalker). I would take the opposite stance as cam69conv.

I think the .270 offers far superior ballistics over the .30-06. Not to say that the .30-06 is a bad round because it isn't but you get a much flatter shooting projectile out of the .270 not to mention the lower recoil.

I see the .30-06 getting only two advantages over the .270. Those are the heavier weight bullets available and the cheaper ammo.

If you were going to handload and were hunting deer(nothing larger than an elk) I would suggest the .270 because of it's ballistics and recoil. A well placed shot is far more effective than a missed shot regardless of the weight bullet being used .

That being said I may reconsider the .30-06 if you were planning on using factory loads simply because of the larger variety of factory produced loads and because of the cost difference. You can pick up military surplus for the .30-06 as well to use for practice and it is far less expensive than the .270 factory loads.

Anyways that's my two cents. Both are very capable rifles it just depends on what you are after as to which would be better. I chose the .270 and enjoy it very much but I shoot factory loads right now(considering hand loading soon). If I had it all to do over again I may give a second look at the .30-06 simply because of the difference in ammo availability and cost.

Don Fischer's picture
30-06 OR. 270???

Cam, I think your right. I could have sworn he said he got arid of his 270 for one of the short mags. Shame on me! sad Let's see if I can BS my way out of this.

I'm pretty sure his wife or girl friend, one of them, will get him a new WSM for christmas and he'd be wondering just what advantage it would be over what he has. So to save him time asking a question I though I'd just get it in early. Brick Wall,) Let me know if that doesn't work. I's early and I haven't started on my second pot of coffee yet! Whistling

30-06 OR. 270???

I'd sell my house before I sold my .270, yeah you could say I'm a .270 fan. I've taken a bull moose, a bunch of elk including some big bulls, and countless deer and antelope with it. With today's great bullets and ammo, in my opinion it's perfectly adequate for everything but the biggest bears. I load 140 grain bullets and have never had a problem with crippling or penetration, it's a great round. Regardless of what the rifle manufacturers say, the shooter and shot placement is far more important than the caliber.

Carl

30-06 OR. 270???
hostage67 wrote:
I chose to go with the .270 and enjoy the gun very much (BAR Safari Stalker). I would take the opposite stance as cam69conv.

I think the .270 offers far superior ballistics over the .30-06. Not to say that the .30-06 is a bad round because it isn't but you get a much flatter shooting projectile out of the .270 not to mention the lower recoil.

I see the .30-06 getting only two advantages over the .270. Those are the heavier weight bullets available and the cheaper ammo.

If you were going to handload and were hunting deer(nothing larger than an elk) I would suggest the .270 because of it's ballistics and recoil. A well placed shot is far more effective than a missed shot regardless of the weight bullet being used .

That being said I may reconsider the .30-06 if you were planning on using factory loads simply because of the larger variety of factory produced loads and because of the cost difference. You can pick up military surplus for the .30-06 as well to use for practice and it is far less expensive than the .270 factory loads.

Anyways that's my two cents. Both are very capable rifles it just depends on what you are after as to which would be better. I chose the .270 and enjoy it very much but I shoot factory loads right now(considering hand loading soon). If I had it all to do over again I may give a second look at the .30-06 simply because of the difference in ammo availability and cost.

Well, if you call a whopping 3 or 4 inches difference in trajectory and a couple of ft-lbs difference in recoil ballistic superiority.....

30-06 OR. 270???

Ok Ill say it again

The Key to a 30/06 is HAND LOADING. With variant hand loads You can EASILY beat the .270 in trajectories as well. Does the 30.06 Kick harder that a .270? Thats according to the Load and the weight of the rifles. One of My .270's kicks like a dern mule because its only 6 pounds! Now, when it comes to just gettin factory loads the yes the .270 can be a better rifle in SOME INSTANCES...But he was talking about a rifle for things up to moose size. Now granted yes there have been Moose Taken with a .270 but is it a round that should be used? Not in my opinion for the simple reason of kinetic energy. It just doesnt have the weight for the massive bone structure of a moose. Now yes perfect placement of a .270 is very deadly but how many of us are perfect? Why take a chance? If you have a choice, choose the right tool for the job or dont take on the job!