7 replies [Last post]
wyoelkhunter's picture
30-06

Well I've been gone for awhile but I found my login and had to get a new password but none the less I'm back and Ive got a question.... I'm looking to down load my 06 for my kids mostly for target practice and for deer. My Oldest boy is 12 this year and will using my 03 springfield for his first Elk this year!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The tricky part is going to

The tricky part is going to be finding the components to do any reloading for that old trusty 06.

Hodgdon has low recoil reloading data on their web site for the 06 for a 125 grain Nosler Balistic Tip, 130 grain Hornady SST, and a 135 grain Sierra spitzer. They all use H4895 powder so now you need to see if you can find any components to reload them. If you can't find parts let us know and we might be able to come up with something.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Components

Yeah, the hard part is finding the components.

It might be easier to find another rifle and factory ammo given the dearth of reloading supplies lately. Case in point, one of my friends has put a rifle back in the safe until next year because he's out of components and he thinks it will take him that long to gather the needed supplies to work up loads.

Things ain't like they used to be and I can only hope it gets better.

Don Fischer's picture
If I was going to load down

If I was going to load down and even think about elk, I'd load down a heavier bullet. I will get my grandson going shooting someday and I'll use my 30-06. But I have cast bullet loads worked up for it. Now that I have a 308 again, maybe use it and the cast bullet's. Centerfire rifle the recoils about like a 22LR. To get him going I want something that for sure won't hurt him, I won't know how much he can take so I'll error on the side of caution. From there, I'll work him up from a 243, to 25-06 to 6.5x55 to the 30's. I'll stop if he finds a real comfort zone with a cartridge I think will deliver enough bullet to the intended animal. Where do you live anyway? If you were reasonably close to me I'd give you some 180gr cast bullet's to start him out. 

Nice thing using the cast bullet's I can make the 30-06 shoot like a 22LR  on up through a 243 depending on how it's loaded.

wyoelkhunter's picture
Thanks for the input guy.

Thanks for the input guy. Don, I appreciate the info. As far as components go Because I haven't had a bench set up for a few years I actually found some good stuff Ive had rat holed! Looking for the lighter grained bullets I see that as a problem. But I have around 800 150gr .30 cal bullets and some odds and end 180gr. I will look at the hodgsen site and see what I can find on the 150. I have about 200 rounds of hunting ammo loaded up so I'm setting good there. The biggest thing is practice ammo. I started off at 9 years old with this rifle shooting full power loads but I guess being a dad now makes me question that. My oldest is 12 and is 5'4" but is skinny as a rail. Looking through the rest of my components I realize I need to find some 180gr Barnes x triple shock for my 300 RUM.

BikerRN's picture
Recoil Reduction

Before deciding if a gun is "too much gun" also look in to recoil reduction factors that may make shooting more enjoyable.

Shooting pads, good after-market recoil pads, mercury recoil reducers in the stock, are just a few options. I did of course leave out muzzle brakes but they too have their place for consideration.

Good luck and have fun!

BikerRN's picture
Recoil Reduction

Before deciding if a gun is "too much gun" also look in to recoil reduction factors that may make shooting more enjoyable.

Shooting pads, good after-market recoil pads, mercury recoil reducers in the stock, are just a few options. I did of course leave out muzzle brakes but they too have their place for consideration.

Good luck and have fun!

wyoelkhunter's picture
Biker, I am already planning

Biker, I am already planning on putting a better recoil pad on the rifle. The old hard one will be changed. On this rifle I will not put a brake on it as it was my grandfathers rifle and want to keep it as original as possible.