19 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
30-06?

If it were introduced today do you think it would survive? I don't. It's not enough over the 308, it recoils more than a slew of catrtidges based on the 308 case, it can't match the 30 magnums. The only thing keeping it going is the popularity of 100+ years.

I think the greatest thing it has going for it is the cartridges it parented, 25-06, 270Win, 280 Rem, 35 whelan. And none of them would probably make it if introduced today. If it were introduced today and ammo was $30 per box of 20, would you buy it?

30-06?

Real good question Don... the 30-06 is a "jack of all trades and master of none" type of cartridge. It doesn't shine in any particular area but doesn't fail in any particular area as well. I would be willing to say it would have a real hard time as the new kid on the block. There isn't any particular thing (besides marketing) that makes a cartridge successful. Timing seems to be everything. The 300WSM seems to be a keeper while the 300SAUM is all but a sunken ship. In the past we have the 243 win vs the 6mm rem. Essentially the same round ballistically but one flew and the other stalled. 8mm rem should be a winner on paper atleast and it has a slow following. The metric cartidges seem to do more poorly than the standard cartridges in NA. The 6.5x55, 8mm, 6mm for example are all great cartridges with luke warm welcomes.

30-06?

No I don't think it would take. There are too many cartriges with shorter cases that do everything the old 06 will do and then some without going with the longer action rifle. In fairness though it was the best thing of it's day and still performs well by any standards. Not bad for hundred and two year old technology.

30-06?

Never gave it any thought before, But you could be totally correct.
I have only ever used the 06. bought it cause it was always the "best all around cartridge" and has never really dissapointed me. I have no interest in getting a mag of any cal. So if I was starting out and this was something new I may still have bought it. When I don't know much about something I do tend to try purchase something that popular and fairly desired which I guess would have had me getting a 300wsm.

30-06?

I think it would garner some popularity for the same reason it did the first time. It was used by the US military and gun owners tend to want those type cartridges. Look at the .308 Win (7.62mm NATO) and the .223 Rem (5.56mm NATO), both were derived from US military cartridges, even the .30-40 Krag had a following until the .30-06 came along. The 6.8mm SPC had some attention and would have probably performed fairly well in the market if the US military had adopted it.

One thing though, the .30-06 has practically become the rifle ammo standard. Most all other cartridges get compared to it.

30-06?

There weren't many calibres to compete with in 1906. The previously mentioned 30.40 Krag, the30.30 winchester and maybe a couple more were the only competition for the 06 that I can think of a hundred years ago.
But, we are talking about now, so NO the 30.06 wouldn't gain the popularity if introduced now, but The Pigmy with that new blowgun ??? I think he died too Think

30-06?

Yes chestergolf i agree with you....the 300 saum kinda reminds me of the Titanic, and its ballistics aren't even par with the wsm. Now a days the 300 wsm seems to be the cat's meow for an all around big game rifle. I have one and absolutly love the round! We'll prob never know how the 06 would make out if introuduced today, but we can be rest assured its not going away anytime soon!! Thumbs up

30-06?

There has been a barrel full of rounds developed on the 30-06 case. From the short short 22-250 length to the 308 length to the standard length. Most all have been very functional and useful rounds.
If it hadn't been developed. It would certainly be a different world for the shooter and wildcatter.
Would I buy one now? Probably not. I'd get a 308 but, the 308 was developed on the 30-06 case about 40 years later. I guess I'd have to wait another 40 years.

That Pigmy is still around. They brought him in for questioning on ethical hunting practices.

30-06?

This is an interesting thread. Like Rram said, I don't think I ever thought about it before. I read an article in a recent issue of Bugle about a survey conducted at a RMEF conference about what their weapon of choice was. The .06 is still very popular. I've never used one, but the people who do seem never to have any complaints. Anyway, I do agree that if it were introduced today in the wake of the WSM family, it would probably go nowhere.

On another note, I thought the WSM's would go nowhere. They seemed sorta gimicky to me at first, but I've since been told of the benefit of a shorter movement to operate the bolt. I sometimes have a problem with my .300 Win Mag when I'm trying to chamber another round for a second shot. I don't bring the bolt all the way back, and thus don't extract the spent round. I did that just yesterday, in fact. Just get too excited, I guess.

30-06?

Most of the short mags are DEAD with the exception of a few. Work your bolt with authority rapidly all the way back and all the way forward and your short stroking will stop. Best of luck.

30-06?

Seems like I'm running into a lot of people using them in the past couple of years.

About the bolt thing, I'm just trying to work it too fast and don't come all the way back. I do a similar thing sometimes when duck hunting (3" shells), don't bring the pump all the way back to eject the hull.