8 replies [Last post]
30-06

I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 30-06 with a Leupold VXII Is this enough stopping power for moose

Don Fischer's picture
30-06

the most important part of the description you didn't give. What bullet you plan on using? Weather it's a 300 Savage or a 300 Ultra mag, they all shoot the same bullets. Were I to go hunting a moose, I think I'd use a good 180gr bullet. Not even gonna recomend a factory load as I haven't shot a farctory round of rifle ammo in many many years.

30-06

165 or 180 grainers in a 30.06 will do the job just fine. Just buy the best bullets you can get your paws on. Nosler Partition would be my suggestion.

30-06

ya, that gun will do the trick...but I totally agree about bullet selection....

I've come to favour the 165 gr. for the Alaska/Yukon moose up here...but I've knocked over one or two with the 180 gr.

even the factory loads are ok...just by enough of them, practise with one type and use that type when you hunt....

shot placement , the ability to make the shot , and knowing your limitations is no small factor

my 2 cents

30-06

The .30-06 is probably responsible for more moose getting killed then anything except cars. It will do its job as long as you do yours. I agree with what everyone else has said so far and add that if your rifle shoots them well hornady light magnum and most hornady ammunition is as close as you'll ever come to hand load quality and preformance without actualy handloading.

WesternHunter's picture
30-06

I still get peeved when people use the phrase "stopping power", but I won't go there Talk to the Hand The .30-06 when loaded with the proper bullet weight and bullet type is well capable of cleanly taking any game animal in the western hemisphers, Europe, Asia, and even most African game. I think that every experienced hunter and shooter will agree. Not to make fun or ridicule anyone, but asking if a .30-06 is enough for Moose is like asking if a new Ford F-150 Super Duty is enough truck to haul your gear on a camping or hunting trip lol But, the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask. You have a lot of versatility there in that package. I truely say you made a very good choice of rifle, caliber, and scope for just about every hunting need you encounter.

30-06
WesternHunter wrote:
asking if a new Ford F-150 Super Duty is enough truck to haul your gear on a camping or hunting trip lol

Probably not but I'm a Chevy guy! Laugh neener!

Re: 30-06
codfish wrote:
Is this enough stopping power for moose

Most certainly. If there is a moose that you can't take with the '06 I don't want to go after it. Ditto on using quality bullets. The Barnes X tops my list of favorites.

For those who say that 165 grain bullets are good for moose I only have one thing to say - "finally someone gets it right". You are singing my song.

30-06

I would go with a 180gr Nosler Partition. The 30-06 is a fine round for Moose and Elk.