13 replies [Last post]
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2nd Antler hunting trip 2011 !!

Well the roads were slick this morning due to last nights snow, but we still got there by 9:00. Arlan and I put on some miles today and we had one of my best friends (Shaun aka DSL on here) and his wife (Debbie) with us. They went one direction while Arlan and I headed for the big country.

I had a little run in with an old cedar tree, but kept on hunting.

While Arlan and I were in the wild and rough country Shaun and Debbie stayed lower and found two deer sheds. Here is Shauns' old little one.

And Debbies monster shed !

I ended up finding this great elk shed.

Arlan ended up getting skunked Huh? , but all in all a beautiful half a day in the great outdoors.

hunter25's picture
Looks like you had a great

Looks like you had a great day out there this time with no problems to slow you down. Like you said last time, it could only get better. Things should get even better than that though as looks like mostly last years sheds so far. That means lots of new ones still waiting somewhere.

I'm gonna try to give it another go close to home this week but will probably be a month or more till I can make it up to area 10 to look around. Lots of guys hit it pretty hard up there though so I may be too late.

Congratulations on your first find of the year.

walkin's picture
Congrats on the good finds,

Yes Congrats on the good finds, more pics next week???

exbiologist's picture
I'm jealous

As soon as I finish this dang data entry, I'm gonna have to get out there.  Congrats on some great finds.

PS how do you display your shed collections?

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Man, that's a heck of a mulie

Man, that's a heck of a mulie shed!!!

Congrats on all of them!!!

hawkeye270's picture
WOW... that's one lucky lady.

WOW... that's one lucky lady. That is a GREAT find!

jaybe's picture
Yes - that was a great mule

Yes - that was a great mule deer antler that she had. That really looks like fun. I wish our weather was that nice around here. I know that if I drove up to where we usually hunt, I'd find at least a foot of snow still in the woods. By the time it's gone, I'll be trying my luck with the walleyes on Saginaw Bay. There just aren't enough days for me to get out there and still keep bringing home a paycheck (sigh).

Thanks for the great post and wonderful pictures. Thumbs up

elkkill06's picture
Thanks guys !

Thanks for the great comments guys !

Ex,

As far as displaying the sheds I have the bigger deer sheds on top of my cabinets in the kitchen and the big elk sheds go beside the entertainment center. My kids take leather and hang them on the walls in there rooms. All the rest are in piles in the garage.

Quinton

tim
it is funny how different

it is funny how different parts of the country have different times of year for shedding antlers.

our elk still have the headsets on there heads.  i watched 3 bulls last night all with racks on.  they usually will drop here in april.

elkkill06's picture
Elk sheding yet ???

Tim,

There are still quite a few critters holding onto there antlers. Especially the elk. Yes

One more thing I forgot to add is that that was Debbies first ever shed find. What a way to start ! Thumbs up

I will be heading up again Saturday, but this time I will be back in my regular hunting area. Good luck to all heading out to find sheds or scouting.

Quinton

Festus's picture
-

Thats an incredible way to start! I have some pretty small and some pretty chewed up antlers in my collection I think my first find was half a piont that was broken off. I like to go back when I find a new one and look at old sheds that I found in the same area 8-10 years ago and see that they share alot of the same characteristics more with deer that elk. I did not make it out last weekend I started my first try at mounting a Bull. I'm going to try and finish it up this weekend and then get back after them sheds. I'll post some pic's of my mount and see what you think.....

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
First antler hunting trip of 2011 !elkkill061503/24/2011 21:45 pm
trip countdowns?jim boyd310/25/2010 16:39 pm
Antler Refurbishing !!!!!wildantlerman011/06/2006 19:58 pm
Argentina Dove Hunt June / July 2011nogamelikebiggame003/03/2010 11:11 am
2011 Wyoming Hunt Resultsjaybe1210/28/2011 17:04 pm