69 replies [Last post]
The .270

I have great confidents in my 270's firepower :roll

The .270

I meant eye roll

The .270

No reason not to be confident toward your 270. Whether some folks like it or not, it will, when used by a capable hunter, take down any animal on the North American continent, as well as many big game animals in other parts of the world.

The .270

I use a .270 and have not had a problem, even with the last and only bull that I have shot that was a 6 by 6. Does one bull make me an expert, no, but I'll be taking it along this week because I shoot it well.

The .270

Okay bitmasher and elkman your both wrong. Bitmasher not to be rude but do you really think your father made the best first shot possible- if so what kind of bullets was he using. Now elkman i have trouble with what you said-i've said it on the .270 weatherby forum and i'll say it again. A .270 will kill anything in the world. But it is about shot placement and bullets type. for deer a soft point is great but not for bigger game same goes for Rhino a fmj bullet must be selected there however proves un effective un deer size game . P.S. write back im still not done with explaining my cause and your? ah mess up. ha ha ha ha

[ This Message was edited by: Sniperwolf.270# on 2003-12-04 16:53 ]

bitmasher's picture
The .270

eye roll

It was a joke Sniperwolf. You know one of these....

--> Grin <--

However, I find it rather depressing that if my Dad had really been killed by a charging bull that he pumped ten 270 rounds into, you would really want to argue with me about my dearly departed father's shooting ability and bullet selection.

Oh well, welcome aboard!

The .270

Sniper, there IS a limit on what a 270 could take. It can take big animals. But then there are the really big animals, and it is not a wise choice for them. Leave that to the medium and big bore calibers.

Anonymous
The .270

I killed alot of elk and I've seen alot of elk killed over the last 40 years here in the Rocky Mtns.

I agree with Elkman(?) The .270, .308, and cartridges of their power range, are good for the small deer, coyotes, etc. Nothing more.

Those cartridges will kill an elk, however the heavier calibers will do a much better job, especially when the shot doesn't go exactly where you want it to go...That is probably 80 % of the time under hunting conditions.

The .270

Shooting a moderate round you can handle is better than a heavy-bore that will usually cause a flinch. The 257 Weatherby Magnum, the 270s, the 7mm calibers including the magnums, on up through the 30s are best, in my opinion. I'd take my 300 Weatherby Magnum for bull elk, because it will easily punch right through the heavy bones and tear through those vitals, even at 400 yards+. Not everyone wants the 39 ft-lbs of recoil that come with this, though.

[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Obvious on 2003-12-19 19:21 ]

The .270

You and I share alot of the same thoughts that have been posted on these forums Captain Obvious, but I simply cannot agree with you on this one.

I do not believe that a hunter, beginning or Pro, should go to a smaller calibre rifle or cartridge when hunting large game animals simply because they cant handle recoil. Stay home if you cant, dont go out and wound an animal cause you(not directed at you personally) are a wuss. You mentioned that you shoot a 300WM, do you flinch when you shoot? If not, then there you go....everyone should do as you do..and I also...learn to take the kick and do it with 1 shot.

If you want to hunt the big boys with the big boys (opps)and big girls get you something that'll kill the big boy even if the aim is a lil off or the distance was miscalculated or......you flinch at the shot.

[ This Message was edited by: JTapia on 2003-12-19 20:22 ]