23 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
.270 Win Worthless on Elk!

DonMillion

Don't go getting your pantys "all in a wad!"

So Don, just what is your experience?? I lised mine. Any fool can sit behind a computer and call someone a jerk. I listed some of my experiences and some sources. I have many more.

RIGHT SHOT PLACEMENT! That's just ducky. What do you do DonMillion, take you shooting bench out hunting with you so you can make the shot just so. Have you ever flubbed a shot? More over, have you ever shot anything?

I'm taLking about real hunting, FIELD CONDITIONS, not just we writing about and say things that make everyone "FEEL GOOD". Have you ever hunted elk in the black timber? You can't place your rifle over a rest to make the shot, because more than likely, the animal will be gone.

DonMillion, you need to get real. I don't advocate bad shooting, but you are either inexperienced or, well, just plain ignorant.

No more name calling in this discussion. Debating the merits of the 270 is fine, but do it with the intent to discuss and share, not inflame.

If you can't share an opinion without name calling, be gone.

I'd have to agree that no one is a "sissy" for not using a larger caliber. And name calling has no place on these boards.

With that being said I also have to agree that the 270 is NO LONGER and elk cartridge. My experience says it is not realiable ENOUGH. I've seen some elk wounded and travel for miles before expiring. Heres why I feel way I do.

The heaviest 270 factory load is a 150gr bullet. On elk sized game if you hit bone, like shoulder blade or rib, the bullet has a TENDANCY to shatter and resulting in very poor penetration.(Unfortunatly I've seen this happen 3 times in the last 10 years) It doesn't happen everytime but enough to be concerned about. Everyone including my old stubborn uncle finally gave in a bought bigger cartridges. The caliber is too small too. I like the 30 calibers much better for elk

Simply put its a good rifle. In its day it was a good elk rifle but its time has passed. For you old timers who've used em for years I don't see any reason to change. However I think we need to teach the youngsters that the 270 just isn't an elk rifle any more.

We were having a discussion on 30-30's on elk on another forum. Someone chimed in and said that the 30-30 has killed more elk than any other rifle. Truth be told thats probably right, but they've probably wounded more elk than any other rifle too. The 270 is better than a 30-30 but its along the same lines. For me and my personal experience I've seen a lot of elk fall to a 270. But I've seen more wounded and lost animals to the 270 than any other rifle.

My elk minimum is 30-06 in a 180gr load.

I also forgot to add that I agree 100% on the fact that you can't tote a bench with you in the woods to shoot from. Thats the problem, a well placed shot from a 270 will kill an elk just fine. But hunting is wind, mis-judging range, uphill shots, downhill shots, quartering away, quartering to, animlas walking and moving, buck fever, shooting from real hunting postions and a million other things that make for less than perfect shooting conditions. Elk are very majestic animals and deserve the proper tool for harvesting them. A 270 does not perform well in less than perfect conditions. And anyone who has hunted long knows perfect shot placement in hunting is ridiculous to expect all the time.

When looking at a rifle I ask what it can do in the worst conditions, not the best.

[ This Message was edited by: rather_be_huntin on 2003-09-08 11:40 ]

Anonymous

Dear Mister Moderator

Try Drinking DeCaf!!

What do you do around here, try and run everything with an IRON FIST, so you can't have a free exchange of ideas. Or does everyone just have to get along and agree with each other. Not much of a website if that is the way things are here. This isn't high school! And you ain't the principle!

If your comments are directed at me, then I'll be straight forward and tell you that your full of beans!

If one can't express his opinion, the way I ALWAYS DO, and that is just saying them the way I see them, well you don't deserve me or a bunch of other honest folks who post here.

AND, FYI, some people ARE sissys, ignorant, jerks, tc., In MY Opinion. Not calling anyone in perticular that, but if the shoe fits where it.

or

Are you Mr. Moderator, just one of those who has been given a little bit of power and doesn't know how to handle it. I take no offense to that guy calling me a Jerk. He has his opinions, I have mine. I can live with it.

Respectfully Summitted
Beef Jerky

Well, rather-be-hunting, in a way I agree and in a way I disagree. I would never recommend the .270 to someone who was new to elk hunting and trying to decide what kind of rifle to use. Someone in that situation needs the additional margin of a little bigger bullet.

On the other hand, many hundreds of hunters, year after year, harvest elk with a .270. If it wasn't an adequate caliber--at least, when used within its limitations--then it wouldn't be responsible for killing so many elk every year.

Thats quite a thoughtful post, Beef Jerky.

Tell me, how is a request for "no name calling" indicative of swinging an iron fist? Perhaps I'm a neophyte here, but since when did the free exchange of ideas require name calling?

Have you heard of civil discourse? Most people got over the need to call people names in order to make their point back in high school.

If you can't freely exchange your ideas w/o the attitude, respectfully submit them somewhere else.

Beef Jerky,
I guess you and I can both sit behind our keyboards and pontificate with the best of them.... I don't see any point in pounding chests over who is an experienced elk hunter and who isn't. I have my experiences to go off of and you have yours. I doubt either of us are going to convince each other. I also know that for every article that you quote that says the .270 is not adequate for elk, I could quote another that says it is.
Funny thing about hunters is they are a very opinionated bunch...!

The one thing I will say to you Beef Jerky, is you are getting a little out of line on this thread. We all come here as hunters to express opinions and have educated debates.... that's the purpose of a forum. The debate over the .270 as a legitimate elk cartridge is a good one. Some of the other garbage that you have brought into the dbate is worthless and does not serve any purpose in the debate.

Good luck up on the hill this fall!

[ This Message was edited by: mattravj on 2003-09-08 15:35 ]

Anonymous

Mr. Moderator

Who's calling anyone name???

I tell it like I see it. If your comments are directed towards me. Say so. Just don't mamby pamby around about it.

As far as attitude. I gots lots of it. If you don't like it tuff. Some do some don't. Your just one persons opinion! I would suspect your just young and trying to do a good job. I respect that.

But come on. A little tude never hurts anyone. An posting about BORING CRAP doesn't generate much interest, IMO.

Check out how many "hits" on this one topic on the .270 as opposed to your Colorado Buckskin Network. I rest my case.

And Yes, I see it as IRON FISTED and it is totally uncalled for!!! Grow up. Have you never listened to men talk about what their favorite elk/bear rifles are and how good they are around the campfire. Heck, I've seen them almost go to blows over different ideals. Don't have an attitude. Give me a break!!! What do you have here a bunch of men or a bunch of sissys that can't take a little diversity?

_PS Why do I always have to log on to make a post over and over? Seem excessive to me.________________

Beef Jerky

[ This Message was edited by: Beef Jerky on 2003-09-08 15:55 ]

Thank you moderator. I may not post alot on the board but I do enjoy reading other people's posts. I agree with you that if you cannot keep from resorting to name calling, on an adult forum, then you should choose to take your posting elsewhere.

I would hope that when I venture to post something I am not treated poorly by people like beef jerky.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Worthless Cops!512/19/2003 13:03 pm
Printing Money is Good?expatriate903/22/2009 13:03 pm
.270 Win Worthless on Elk!Sissy Boy810/26/2013 09:55 am
Colorado antelopeexbiologist805/18/2013 10:49 am
You're Fired!bitmasher304/22/2004 21:57 pm