8 replies [Last post]
.270 Win Worthless on Elk!

I couldn't sleep and was surfing the net when I came across an old article on this site entitled,
".270 Win Worthless on Elk!". It mentioned being a sissy if you use a .270 for elk and don't use a larger caliber.

I never knew Jack O'Connor was a sissy.

I have had three shoulder operations and use an Evo-Shield shirt to shoot even a .243 so that is why I named myself Sissy Boy on this site.

I have read numerous articles from gun writers and guides stating that a .270 is a good elk cartridge.

I have practiced a lot and can shoot 2" standing with no support to 100 yards. I can shoot 3" with shooting sticks or prone to 200 yards and with a solid rest to 300 yards. I will never shoot pass 300 yards b/c I don't feel competent enough to do so.

I will continue to hunt elk with my .270 AND my 6.5x55 and humanely kill them.

http://montanaelkhunting.blogspot.com/2009/12/270-winchester-for-elk-hun...

SoCoKHntr's picture
Sounds

Like something Elmer Keith might of said about ol Jack. As you've said the 270 especially with todays bullets is just fine for elk.

I think he's a sissy for not

I think he's a sissy for not using a muzzleloader with iron sights!

Jack

Still Hunter wrote:

Still Hunter wrote:

I'm sure you are right.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
There is nothing wrong with a

There is nothing wrong with a .270 or any other appropriate cartridge for elk. As long as the hunter does his job the round should do its job.

A bad shot is a bad shot weather it is from a .270 or .375 HH

This

Critter wrote:

A bad shot is a bad shot weather it is from a .270 or .375 HH

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^ about sums it up perfectly IMO. Larger caliber doesn't compensate for poor marksmanship.

guess I'm a sissy too

I hunt Elk with a 25-06, guess that makes me a sissy too. Of course, everything I've shot with it, Elk down to Prarie Dogs, have fallen with one shot. I've had 5 back surgeries and believe in shoot what you're confident with.

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Sissy

Everybody knows Jack O'Conner was a Mama's Boy and Elmer Keith was a real man. Heck, John Wayne took lessons from Elmer on how to be a man.

OK, with that frivolity out of the way, the .270 is fine but confidence plays a big part in the equation too. As I shoot more I find that I like the harder recoiling rifles, within reason, and that I shoot them as well as my 25-06. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter the caliber. Lots of hunters can buy one box of ammo and have it last ten years. Another select few, the exception really from what I see at the range, shoot what equates to a box of ammo a week and while they may use something bigger than a .270 could get the job done no matter the caliber.

What a larger caliber gives you is more options. That's not a bad thing nor is it a good thing. It all depends on how it's applied in the field. With the 25-06 I would limit myself to less than 200 Yards and broadside only, with my rifle and my load, on elk. With the .338 Win Mag I can stretch the distance and the angles a bit.

However if I was limited, for whatever reason, to a "sissy" caliber I'd be just fine with that as I'd strive to work within the limitations of my abilities and equipment. I really don't believe there are any sissy calibers as I don't want to get shot with any caliber and they can all be used to fill the freezer.

To me bullet selection and skill in shooting is more important than caliber. Now if I can find a left handed Model 70 in .270 Winchester, or WSM, I'll sell some right handed boomers and have a two gun battery for all of North America, .270 and .338 instead of 25-06, .308, and .300. Of those right handed action rifles the best all around rifle, for me is the .300 right now. That may change as I age, my arthritis worsens, or I start hunting in a different area where long shots aren't as common.

While I poked fun at Jack O'Conner at the start of this post I actually respect and admire the man and find myself agreeing with him often. I also respect Elmer Keith. Their "feud" was used as a way to sell magazines and each had his devotees.

I can see both sides of the issue. Each respective argument has merit and I try to take the best from each. That's what I think we should all do and not just automatically disregard or belittle a caliber because when you get right down to it it's the shooter's job to put the bullet where it needs to go.

OK, I'm long winded tonight and not really saying anything. Take care, have fun, and stay safe. Me, I'm going to bed. Big smile

JOC/Keith

As far as the 2 different theories these men had, IMO, JOC has stood the test of time more so than Keiths. As far as journalism it was no contest...JOC was a better writer.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Worthless Cops!512/19/2003 13:03 pm
Printing Money is Good?expatriate903/22/2009 13:03 pm
Colorado antelopeexbiologist805/18/2013 10:49 am
You're Fired!bitmasher304/22/2004 21:57 pm
.270 Win Worthless on Elk!2309/09/2003 00:02 am