12 replies [Last post]
.270 win bullet weights... what do you prefer

Howdt guys and gals, I shoot a .270 win in a savage chasis. I am curious what grain of bullet you all use. I prefer a 150, I feel that it shoots a little flatter than the 130 which tends to rise alot. I have to take shots in the 200 to 250 yard range and I personally feel that the 150 supplies that extra little punch over the 130.

My buddy on the other hand tottally disagrees with me and shoots 130 through his M77 with fair success.

By the way this is for deer and hopefully an elk hunt. Both mule deer as well as Whitetail.

Let me know what you all think.
Tim

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Re: .270 win bullet weights... what do you prefer
TKleather wrote:
Howdt guys and gals, I shoot a .270 win in a savage chasis. I am curious what grain of bullet you all use. I prefer a 150, I feel that it shoots a little flatter than the 130 which tends to rise alot. I have to take shots in the 200 to 250 yard range and I personally feel that the 150 supplies that extra little punch over the 130.

My buddy on the other hand tottally disagrees with me and shoots 130 through his M77 with fair success.

By the way this is for deer and hopefully an elk hunt. Both mule deer as well as Whitetail.

Let me know what you all think.
Tim

Tim,
Either bullet will/would work fine for pretty much any deer hunting. In like bullets (meaning SP vs SP or RN vs RN), the 130s will shoot a bit flatter than the 150s, if you are wanting the same sight-in criteria. Both loads are relatively flat shooting anyway.

The 130gr is certainly all that's needed for any deer-sized game, with the 150s giving a bit better SD for game larger than CXP2. The 150gr .270 bullet actually has a better SD than the 180gr 30/06 (.279 vs .271) and can be used for anything it's used for.

All that being said, I use both the 130 and 150gr loads for deer sized game and simply use whichever sights in better or what I've chosen for a particular hunt. If you are wanting a bullet for both deer sized game and elk (CXP2 and CXP3), than I'd suggest a premium bullet in 140 or 150gr. I have some experience with the TBBC in 140gr (now called the Trophy Bonded Tipped) and it is a superior penetrating bullet in a .270.

You idea of using 150s for everything sounds Ok to me, not a thing wrong with that thinking. Thumbs up

WesternHunter's picture

I use 130 grainers for all my biggame hunts. Had used 150's for a bit on elk, but found that they weren't any more affective than the 130's, even on bull elk. I've since just strickly reloaded 130 Speer Grand Slams with enough powder to go at average 3080 ft/sec. Good all around bullet and I don't have to be re-zeroing my scope from switching bullets.

ecubackpacker's picture

We reload 130 gr Accubonds with great results. Typically shoot out to 350 yds, one shot kills. Normal year, we shoot 15-20 deer between us. Accubonds tend to inflick more internal damage than other bullets we tried. Have fun shooting.

agreed

I do agree that the 130 is a good round and I wasnt arguing that point whatsoever I just seem to like my 150 grain super x power points through the ole savage. However I just ran into a problem this morning right after I posted this topic. I have been shooting everyday now for about a month and a half getting all tuned up for hunting season. mostly target shooting a few rounds a day and when the weather is right I go out an look for sheds and coyotes. well I ran out of shells and went to town to get some more and here in spokane I cannot find a super x power point in a 150 grain anywhere. not even cabelas so I dropped to the 130's and went out to do some target shooting an dfound that my groups are actually better with the 130's. I have to eat my own words.

Dont tell my huntin buddy though I will never live it down.

Tim

ecubackpacker's picture

A lot of times you will find "your" rifle will shoot certain ammo better than others, especially if you buy factory ammo. We reload all our ammo so we can fine tune it to our rifle.

Glad you found some ammo that shoots well in your rifle. Good luck and knock'um down.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Re: agreed
TKleather wrote:
I do agree that the 130 is a good round and I wasnt arguing that point whatsoever I just seem to like my 150 grain super x power points through the ole savage. However I just ran into a problem this morning right after I posted this topic. I have been shooting everyday now for about a month and a half getting all tuned up for hunting season. mostly target shooting a few rounds a day and when the weather is right I go out an look for sheds and coyotes. well I ran out of shells and went to town to get some more and here in spokane I cannot find a super x power point in a 150 grain anywhere. not even cabelas so I dropped to the 130's and went out to do some target shooting an dfound that my groups are actually better with the 130's. I have to eat my own words.

Dont tell my huntin buddy though I will never live it down.

Tim

I hope you kept one of the old 150gr boxes...if so, he'll never know...lol. neener!

My dad always liked 110gr for deer, and 150's for elk(hornady's). My son prefer's 150gr roundnose all around(hornady or nosler). My buddy likes 130's(nosler) for deer and 150's for elk. Go figure.

I know its all in what works for you. I am just trying to see what the general concencus is. 130 sounds like the majority on this one.

WesternHunter's picture

Could be that's because the 130 grain bullet is the original bullet weight the .270 Win was developed for. I just like the higher velocity I get with 130 grain bullets. Although I have nothing against the slower 150 grains either.

With my reloads I can only safely get 2850 ft/sec out of my rifle with 150's. Still that's plenty good velocity and will shoot plenty flat for all N. American biggame (except grizzlys and polars).

tim

i like the 140's. seems like the best of both worlds.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
7mm/08txbritman710/08/2006 21:07 pm
HUH !!!PapaSzakal401/11/2013 10:31 am
Bullet WeightAFHunter609/26/2011 21:24 pm
Winchester Ballistic Silvertipswlfdg809/28/2008 21:06 pm
Your Favorite Hunting Bullet for .308 Win. (and why)NW Shooter1002/25/2012 11:34 am