5 replies [Last post]
CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
.270 Win 150 Gr

I think I want to shoot some 150 gr bullets out of my 270 Win.  Any suggestons on powder and load?

GooseHunter Jr's picture
I am a fan of the Alliant

I am a fan of the Alliant powders.  So I have used the RL-19 and RL-22 alot on my .270 and have had great results with both, but I am using the 140 grain bullets.  I think i would start in the low 50's when it comes to powder.  I might also look at the new powdwer that they came out with not long ago. the RL-17.  IMR 4350 is always a good universal powder to give a try.  reloadersnest.com has alot of "recipes" for loads on all rifles and all have been submitted my forum member.  I have gotten alot of good info on reloading there along with some great starting points when it comes to working up a load.

CVC
CVC's picture
I have been shooting a 130

I have been shooting a 130 grain bullet, but thought I'd move up to a heavier bullet in case I wanted to take a cow elk.  Yeah, I know some say the .270 is too light for elk, but I don't think so and I shoot it well.  I wonder if the 140 might be big enough.

I currently use the H 4350 for my powder.  I will definitely checkout that website.  This will be my spring summer project I think.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
While coming up with a new

While coming up with a new load is fun, not to mention a little bit time consuming I would stick with the 130 grain bullet even for an elk.  You will not really gain that much by going up to the 150 gr as far as the energy levels of the bullet over the 130 gr, and the 130 will work on an elk quite nice as long as you do your part. 

WesternHunter's picture
130 grain

I use 130 grain exclusively for elk.  Even bull elk.  They work great.  When I first started using my .270 on bulls years ago I was loading 150's.  Used the 150's on 3 bulls and was pleased, then one year I accidentally packed my box of 130's and had mistakenly loaded those and it brought down a bull just as well.  From then on I stuck with the 130s.  In keeping with my philosophy of Keep It Simple I decided to use 1 bullet weight and type and 1 powder load for my biggame - 130 grain Speer Grand Slams atop a load of IMR7828.  Performs to my liking on deer, pronhorn, and elk.  You just have to know your rifle and cartridge limitations and stay within the performance envelope.

If you stay with 150's in .270 Win you will benefit in that the 150 grain from a .270 Win will give you better sectional density and penetration than a 150 grain .30-06 Sprgfld while both being ballistically nearly identical (velocity, energy transfer, etc).  Given the choice between a 150 grain in a .270 or a .30-06 (bullet construction being the same) I'd chose the .270 Win.

CVC
CVC's picture
I think you guys have

I think you guys have convinced me to stay with the 130 grain bullet.  It works well, took down the mountain goat with one shot so I guess if it is good enough for you then it is good enough for me.  Thanks, appreciate the advice.