7 replies [Last post]
270 Weatherby Magnum

I found all sorts of interesting stuff out about this caliber: It's one of the oldest Weatherby Calibers, its the smallest Weatherby caliber that is suitable for all North American game, and most important, it blows the 270 WSM clear out of the water. The WSM may get a good velocity and respectable energy out of its three bullet sizes, 130, 140, and 150 grains, the 150 having the most ft-lbs at the muzzle (3304 ft-lbs), but the 270 Weatherby, packing 3507 ft-lbs energy at the muzzle, clearly eats the short mag for breakfast. Handloading might make the gap a little narrower, but even in this care, in no way do the velocities or energies delivered at any range approach those of the magnum 270. As far as game selection goes, its pretty much the same as with the standard-length 270 Winchester, the 130-140 grain bullets are best for thin-skinned game like deer, antelope, mountain goats and such, the bigger 150 grain bullets being most suitable for elk, bears, moose, and such. Recoil energy, so I've read, approximates that of the 7mm Remington Magnum, which puts the round within the general range of tolerable for many shooters, which is why, for these reasons and others, I think this round deserves more attention and respect than its given.

bitmasher's picture
270 Weatherby Magnum

Weatherby calibers are (from ones I've looked at least) always pretty nice and were ahead of there time. Your write up lays it out, although I haven't looked up the numbers myself. Sounds like a great caliber.

Couple points:

- Weatherby ammo seems to be more expensive than the alternatives, maybe supply/demand issues, may just be the name. Sometimes considerably more expensive, depending on what you like to shoot.

- I think saying 150 grains for all north america game is stretching it a bit. For example 150 grains on elk is light at around 300-400. It will always do the job in the vital zone, but if your off a bit... well... good luck to you.

Now take moose. Never hunted them, but I have seen a lot of the Alaska variety. The average moose up there is bigger than the average elk around here in CO (which i've seen a lot of too). Knowing what I know about elk, I'd feel uncomfortable throwing 150 grain bullets at moose even with the higher kinetic energy that the 270 weatherby is pushing. Especially one of those big monster bull moose that would make all these macho elk hunters start stuttering (Bubbaaa Bubbbaaa Big, Bigggg BIG BULL. BIG BULL!). Wink imo.

Now take brown bear. Never hunted, probably never will. But if I ever did, I can say for sure it isn't going to be a with 150 grain bullet in my chamber.

Now for everything else, should be just great. So are pumping yourself up to get one?

[ This Message was edited by: bitmasher on 2003-12-03 22:56 ]

270 Weatherby Magnum

The .270 weatherby is an awsome round. How ever it is very expensive. The .270 win. will kill anything the weatherby mag will kill. when talking about shooting a bunch of different game the .270 comes to my mind. My auncle shot a coastal brown bear with a .270 win. Was that smart no- did it kill him- you bet it did. But it was all about bullet placement. So i beleive the .270 win. is a better overall round.

270 Weatherby Magnum

The best way to enjoy shooting the Weatherby cartridges is to reload and then it's not bad at all

270 Weatherby Magnum

You can get ammo from Federal for the 270 Weatherby Magnum, but it lacks the punch of the Weatherby ammo. Handloads for the 140 grain bullet achieve velocities up to 3400 fps, with 3590 foot-lbs at the muzzle. As far as ballistics and performance are concerned, the 270 Weatherby Magnum is about equal to the 7mm Remington Magnum, and quite close to the 7mm Weatherby Magnum.

270 Weatherby Magnum

I HAVE A 270 WEATHERBY MAGNUM MYSELF AND HAVE WONDERED TOO WHY IT DOESNT GET ANYMORE ATTENTION THAN IT DOES . BUT BASED ON WHAT I AM READING FROM YOU OTHER WRITERS ALL OF WHAT EVERYONE OF YOU IS SAYING IS TRUE. THE AMMO IS EXPENSIVE FOR SURE, YES THE 7 MM MAG IS ALMOST THE SAME AND YES A REGULAR 270 WILL KILL THE SAME AS THE MAG WILL. BUT THE REASON I GOT ONE YEARS AGO , I WAS NOT ABLE TO REACH SOME OF THE WHITETAILS HERE IN VIRGINIA AT DISTANCES MUCH OVER 300 TO 350 YARDS LIKE I WAS WANTING TO. VERY SELDOM YOU GET ONE AT THIS RANGE HERE IN THIS STATE BUT WHEN YOU DO, YOU WANT TO MAKE IT COUNT. BEFORE I AQUIRED THIS RIFLE I DID LOOK AT THE BALLISTICS AND FOUND THAT IT HAS AT THESE RANGES JUST A LITTLE MORE FLAT TRAJECTERY THAN THE 7MM MAG. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT IM GLAD I ADDED THE 270 WEATHERBY MAG TO MY COLLECTION. HERE IN MY AREA I CAN REACH ANYTHING I CAN SEE FOR THE MOST PART. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS HOLD IT ON THE ANIMAL. SO LETS GIVE IT SOME CREDIT. AT DISTANCES UP TO 500 YARDS WITH THE RIGHT SIGHTING OF YOUR SCOPE AND KNOWING YOUR RIFLE, THE 270 MAG IS HARD TO BEAT. I HAVE NEVER ELK HUNTED, BUT I BET IT WOULD TURN THE AVERAGE ELK UPSIDE DOWN AT THE PULL OF THE TRIGGER. I HOPE TO TRY SOMEDAY. THANKS GUYS

270 Weatherby Magnum

I hope you get to elk hunt too some day, that would be an awesome hunt!

270 Weatherby Magnum

Not only is the ammo more expensive, but in general the rifles are too, aren't they? I haven't seen anything in .270 Weatherby in a cheap rifle, especially the better Weatherbys. Pretty good stuff, but it isn't cheap.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
One load for .257 Weatherby Magnum ?MaestroHC109/21/2008 08:55 am
.257 WEATHERBY MAGmadmax303/18/2011 23:10 pm
.308 Winchester vs .300 Weatherby Magnummadmax1711/24/2012 11:37 am
Weatherby Vanguard 300 Wby Magnummazlo1101/13/2010 20:08 pm
.375 magnum, prefer H&H or WeatherbyBuano507/08/2010 16:51 pm