38 replies [Last post]
270 vs 30-06?

I would only say Captain that it shouldn't 99.9% of the time. My 180 grain Core-Lokt out of an '06 did explode on impact. I will likely never use them again, even though I'm sure it was an anomaly.

270 vs 30-06?

The 30-06 is a tired old round whose day is gone.Everyone is always saying how it's the do everything caliber and i suppose just about every animal has been killed with one but the .303 british has too and no one uses it.It has given birth to some good calibers so i guess we should remember the old girl for that. neener!

270 vs 30-06?

Yes the 303 Brithish was an is still a capable round. But you're not going to find it in Modern rifle like Remington, Winchester,Savage,Weatherby, Ruger,Sako,Tikka etc. The 30.06 lives on, plainand simple. neener! neener! neener!
As far as ammo selection for a 303, I say this neener! neener! neener!

270 vs 30-06?

''The 30-06 is a tired old round whose day is gone.Everyone is always saying how it's the do everything caliber and i suppose just about every animal has been killed with one but the .303 british has too and no one uses it.It has given birth to some good calibers so i guess we should remember the old girl for that.''

Thank you for that entertaining little tidbit. The facts, however, do not support it, as rifle and ammunition sales statistics prove. neener!

270 vs 30-06?

Hello again.
Captain Obvious: You seem to have aserious problem with the 30.06 and you wrote: The facts, however, do not support it, as rifle and ammunition sales statistics prove. neener!.

Firstly : Provide your facts, don't just merely suggest that they exist.
Secondly: Provide these "stats" that you make reference to.

I gave you my opinion and some data to support my opinion on the 30.06 and will supply more should you require.

Please provide something to supprt your theory. "Tired,old round " is not enough.

270 vs 30-06?

You're right. The 300 Winchester Magnum won't kill anything the 30-06 can't also kill. The .300 just gives you a somewhat flatter trajectory, and enables you to use heavier bullets more efficiently.

Guess who posted the above in Firearm-Long Guns on Sept 4th/2005 @ 12:25 PM.

and this on Mar 17/2004 @ 6:39 PM

As for the 30-06 and 270 thing, yeah, I read a lot of ballistic charts, and I had to decide between the two of them last year, when I purchased my 700 BDL, I could have gotten one or the other. The decision to go with the 30-06 was based on ballistics

Any ideas Capt Obvious ?

270 vs 30-06?

One thing most of use agree on is the use of most rounds that are smaller than .264 are too small for elk and the thicker skinned game. I'm sure there are those that hunt larger game with smaller calibers,but for most this is not practicle. For the best selection in bullet weights and profiles I would recommend the .30 caliber in a standard or magnum round. I've hunted with a multitude of calibers on a multitude of game, as I used to build custom rifles for shooting and hunting as well as law enforcement, and I hunt primarily with a 30-06. With all the choices out there it still proves every season how good it is.

270 vs 30-06?

''Hello again.
Captain Obvious: You seem to have aserious problem with the 30.06 and you wrote: The facts, however, do not support it, as rifle and ammunition sales statistics prove. neener!.

Firstly : Provide your facts, don't just merely suggest that they exist.
Secondly: Provide these "stats" that you make reference to.

I gave you my opinion and some data to support my opinion on the 30.06 and will supply more should you require.

Please provide something to supprt your theory. "Tired,old round " is not enough.''

Hammer1: in the post to which you are referring, the statements made about the 30-06 such as ''it is a tired old round'' are inside quotation marks. Deathwind is the poster who actually made the negative comments about the 30-06. Go back and read the discussion before you make any comments.

Do not naively put words into my mouth until you have determined which remarks (those in quotation, which belong to someone else), and those which belong to me.