38 replies [Last post]
270 vs 30-06?

We don't have elk in Nova Scotia, but there is a moose hunt(by draw in cape Brenton Island
To answer your question the most populars rifles are: 308, 30.06, 270 , 7mm mag . But there are many,many others as well, ie The 303 British is not dead yet neither)

.270 vs. .30-06

Wow, these are two all-time greats. If I were strictly a deer hunter, including pronghorns, I'd lean to the .270. If I were pursuing deer as well as larger game, I'd go with the '06.

The .270's reputation was made by the 130 grain bullet which can put a whitetail on its butt at ranges farther than most of us are competent to shoot. The 150 grain '06 does the same thing but too many hunters insist on using the 180 grain loading for whitetails.

270 vs 30-06?

Thats true i got my first 30-06 previous season and without even thinking about it i just whent and purchased 180 grain bullets for no reason just because evryone ells uses them... i will go and get some 150-160 grain bullets and try taking a couple shots with them... is the recoil any diffrent? and is there any grain that shoots flatter then others?

270 vs 30-06?

I just checked the federal website and the difference between the 150 & 180 gr bullet drop at 300 yrs is one inch in favour of the 150. I just picked one comparison out of the air for the purposes of this post Check of Federal Ballistic for a good comparison chart.
Try the recoil test: Take three 150 gr & three 180 gr along with a friend to the range/woods. Have him load your rifle, one cartridge at a time, in any configuration he chooses(and write it down) You fire each round from standing position and write what cartridge you beleive each is. If you are right on ALL SIX, you are Recoil Sensitive.
Without knowing you personaly, I'll bet you'll blow this test !

150 vs 180 grains

Most 180 grain bullets are bit too strongly constructed for whitetails. 150 grain bullets mushroom sooner and inflict more internal damage than the 180 grainer. I've seen a number of whitetails harvested with 180 grain bullets. It's not unusual for a deer to run up to 100 yards before packing it in. Even the 100 grain .243 anchors whitetails more quickly than the 180 grain '06. I've seen a few deer taken with a 165 grain bullet in an '06 and the results are nothing short of dramatic. They drop in their tracks. I feel this is important as on state land, if the deer runs too far, another hunter might get to shoot at it and then claim it.

I think the trajectory advantage of the .270 over the .06 has been exaggerated. As for the difference in recoil between 180 and 150 grain bullets, the 150 grain bullet should have lighter recoil but I'm not sure it's enough to feel a difference.

270 vs 30-06?

yea that is very true about the 180 grain in the 30-06.. my dad shot a doe this year with it and the bullet went right through it... it didnt even mushroom ...who ever owns an 30-06 out there.. what bullets do you guys prefer to shoot.... grain? brand? exct.

270 vs 30-06?

Well Deki10, I.m really curious now!. How do you know that there no expansion wiith the bullet that passed through your fathers' deer. I hope you were not standing on the opposite side with a catchers' mitt. That would be dangerous!!!

270 vs 30-06?

My favorite deer load in 30-06 is Winchester's Supreme 180-gr. Ballistic Tip, which (according to Winchester) has more energy at 300 yards than a 300 Win Mag shooting standard 180-gr. Power Points (30-06 has 104 ft. lbs more energy at 300 yards: 2,005 versus 1,901. Source: Winchester's 2005 Ammo Catalog, p. 10 - 13).

The difference is basically the superior Ballistic Co-efficient (BC) of Nosler's Ballistic Tip at .507 versus about .349 for the Power Point, which even had a "210 fps" advantage at the muzzle over the 30-06.

Most deer hunters using a 300 Win Mag just buy whatever is on sale at Walmart - i.e. Power Points or Core Lokts and these bullets perform just fine. Same scenario for those with a 30-06.

Above example was only given for 30-06 shooters to consider because upgrading to a premium / more aerodynamic bullet can provide magnum like performance from this popular caliber.

270 vs 30-06?

Ballistic Tip Overview:

Ballistic Tips (BT's) were designed by John Nosler for violent expansion / explosion and medium penetration on light-skinned animals like deer.

For most calibers shooting fragile BT's, you're better off using heavier projectiles with larger Sectional Density's (SD's) than you would normally use for a regularly constructed bullet.

Why?

1. Heavy for caliber bullets are better in a BT because they tone down the violent expansion a bit and still have enough weight leftover for a extra penetration or a complete pass-through. Lighter BT bullets often fail to penetrate to the other side of the animal.

2. The shock-value with the heavier BT will still be more than lighter standard bullets like 150-gr. and you get more downrange energy on target with the 180-gr. (fragile) load.

3. Short range shots also suit the heavier 180-gr. round with a higher SD versus lighter weight BT'd bullets with less mass.

4. Raking quartering-away shots obviously benefit from a heavier bullet for adequate penetration.

5. A larger BT'd bullet is also more forgiving if you shoot accidently into the shoulder.

* Nosler says that beginning with the 30 caliber 180-gr. Ballistic Tips (and larger), the jacket's profile is changed or upgraded to a much stronger contour similar to the AccuBond (shown below). The lead core is also hardened over the 165-gr. and below bullets - to include the 150-gr. you're considering.

Lighter weight bullets like 165-gr. 30 caliber and lower (shown below) do not have the thicker contour which starts in the middle of the shell and goes down to the base.

In summary, one might infer that the 180-gr. Ballistic Tip is simply a non-bonded version of the AccuBond.

In Summary:

* Standard bullets generally perform better on deer in lighter to mid-weight sizes, but BT's do not!
* For best performance, Nosler recommends heavy for caliber BT's.
* Reported problems of a BT blowing up too quickly are generally associated with too light of a bullet.
* Remember, remember.... Ballistic Tipped rounds are the exception to the rule!

Steve

P.S. I like a bullet to perform two things in my 30-06:

1. Violent expansion / shock.
2. Plenty of penetration for a pass-through, which 150-gr. and 165-gr. most likely will not do the majority of the time!

Nosler makes 4 great aerodynamic rounds to accomplish any North American hunting task:

1. Ballistic Tip
2. Solid Base
3. AccuBond
4. Partition

* Light skinned / boned deer = 180-gr. Ballistic Tip / Solid Base / AccuBond
* Heavy skinned / boned elk = 180-gr. Partition / AccuBond

270 vs 30-06?

i use a 308. with 150 grain ballistic tips, and they always expand and penetrate through a deer just the way i want them to. They are also more accurate in my gun than 180 gr. and i have shot quite a bit of deer with 150gr BT's and they work everytime.