9 replies [Last post]
270 or 308???

Can you guys suggest bullet that works best for accuracy and take down up to 500 yards (I only hunt deer in Utah). In your opinion which is a better round 270 or 308? I am looking for a round that has less kick.

thanks,
JZ

270 or 308???

That's a tall order. Go to this link and pick you bullet, click balistics on left for the data.
Kick " Free recoil energy" is determined by many factors, powder charge, bullet weight, firearm weight etc.
http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx

Pay special attention to the Winddrift part of the chart also. Five hundred yards !!!!
You're pushing it to the limit for sure.

270 or 308???

OK, I played around a bit with the compare tool. Pretty cool tool.

Anyway, looking at the effects of cross-wind and drop at 400 & 500 yards and using Nosler Ballistic Tip in 130 - 165 gr ranges (depending on what was available), your best performing calibers look like the following:

1) 7 MM WSM (140 gr Nosler ballistic tip)
2) 300 Rem Ultra Mag (165 gr Nosler solid base BT)
3) 270 WSM (130 gr Nosler ballistic tip)

7 MM WSM was #1 in range/drop, cross-wind effect, and velocity and #2 in energy. 300 RUM was #1 in energy and #2 in everything else. 270 WSM was #3 in all categories. Then there is a pretty big gap to the rest (.300 Win Mag, .270, .308, .30-06, 7 MM Rem Mag, etc.). The WSSM cartridges weren't listed for comparison. Would be interesting to compare a .243 WSSM.

For a flatter shooting bullet, the .243 and .22-250 in 55 gr blow the others away. However, the stopping power would be questionable, at best, and the lighter bullets are more suceptible to cross-wind effects.

For recoil, you can opt for a muzzle break. The Browning BOSS, for example, makes an enormous difference in recoil. You might opt for a Browning 7 MM WSM w/ BOSS.

Good luck.

270 or 308???

This doesn't seem right: you're worried about recoil (of a 270 or 308, no less), but at the same time you want to make 500-yard shots? You have no business taking shots like that unless you have the knowledge and the capability, which does not appear to be the case here. Sorry if this appears blunt, but it is the truth.

Additionally, the 270 and 308 are probably not particularly good choices for such long range shooting, as we are talking about a distance over a quarter-mile.

WesternHunter's picture
270 or 308???

For starters - You as a hunter have an obligation to cleanly and humanely harvest your game animal. Are you capable of doing that with a shot out to 500 yrds???? No hunter that I know can garantee to hit the vitals of a deer in any shooting postition at that distance. Unless you can place all your shots into an area the size of a paper plate target while practicing off-hand at 500 yrds, you should never even try to make shots at that distance on deer. I mean place ALL your shots into that area at 500yrds off-hand. If you can't do it while practicing, then you have NO business attempting it on game. While often bragged about on the internet, those 500+ yards shots just aren't reality. Most any experienced hunters know that. Don't get confuse now. Keep in mind the spirit of the sport, it's called Hunting not Sniping.

Both calibers kick about the same. The .270 Win with 130 grain bullet will be flatter shooting, but the .308 is capable of making that shot. The question you need to honestly ask yourself is - are you capable of making that shot?? I doubt it. The fact that you even asked this question tells me you don't have much experience with biggame hunting rifles. Not meant to flame you or critisize you and I mean no offence at all, this is not a dumb question either. I'm just bringing up a point that you need to consider.

270 or 308???

I am glad you mention all of this. I am making the mistake of taking the sniper mentality in to the hunt...I would hate to injure a deer and see him go. Thanks so much!!!!!

What is BOSS and how does it work?

Thank you all so much! All of this information is backed up of years of experience $$$$

500 yd. shot.....OFFHAND??

Anyone that even thinks that a knowledgable person is going to STAND UP and SHOOT OFFHAND at an animal from 500 yds. range is about 3 bricks shy of a full load!! Brick Wall,) Shame on You!

How about gettin real for a change!! Brick Wall,) Brick Wall,)

Over a good rest such as a backpack or some other form of REST.......yes.....BIGTIME!! Thumbs up Thumbs up And....the .308 Winchester with a good handload is MORE THAN ADEQUATE to make a killing shot on a big mulie or whitetail at that distance!!

Maybe some folks here need to make the investment in a Rem 870 pumpgun loaded with 000 buckshot! eye roll eye roll

270 or 308???

A real nice feature with Posting is the " Preview " block, slightly left of the "Submit " button. I use it all the time and say to myself, " how would I feel if those comments were intended toward me" and there have been more than a few time.

Thank you
Thumbs up

270 or 308???

My vote would be for the 7mm WSM due to its ballistics. 500yds is a very long shot but not impossible.

No one in their right mind would take a standing freehand shot at 500yds so this shouldn't even have been brought up. Most 500yd shots will be taken in the prone position. Not that it makes it easy by any means but it does make it possible with a good rest.

I think it should also be mentioned that there are hunting situations and specific game where long shots will be required (500yds would still be considered longer than normal even in these situations).

270 or 308???

Even when I was hunting in Nevada. I don't believe I made an across canyon shot longer than 300yds. I was using a 30-06 with 180gr Remington Core Loks back then. Between the 270win and the 308win. I would go with the 308. The 270 will probably have a very slight advantage in energy beyond 400 yds but, the 308 would be more inherently accurate. Be sure to get a 308 with a 22" standard barrel. Not one of those 20" bulls/heavy.