12 replies [Last post]
270 or 280

I am going to get a different whitetail hunting rifle for my wife to use. I am looking at a 270 or 280 in the Remington 7400. Can anyone give me a comparison of recoil between these two calibers? How about performance?
Any help would be appreciated. She is not a large gal and I do not want the recoil to intimidate her.

Thanks

Chequamegon Hunter

270 or 280

If you are worried about recoil....Skip them both...Although they are great calibers for deer.....They both have a lil kick to them....Go with the 7mm.08...Very light recoil and The Hornady Light Mag 139's do a Real number on Deer and Pigs....Very accurate round as well and good out to 300 yards+ on deer (though I dont recommend that shot for the novice or even the pros much either) Just talking about muzzle energy and such...Have her fire one off and Im sure you and she will be pleased as Punch Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture
270 or 280

Another vote for the 7mm-08, if you can get it in the 7400.

270 or 280

The 270 & the 280 are about as close as it gets for two different calibres.
Go to this link, check the box for the 150 gr Nosler Partiton for both calibres, scrool down and check "compare"

http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx?act=choose&fir...

270 or 280

sorry I didnt notice the 7400...If you are going to limit yourself to that weapon then I would go 280...Little less kick than the 270...I dont know of any manufacturers that chamber 7mm.08 in an auto loader and Lord knows why....Its a helluva round in my own opinion...Very versitile if you reload, Light recoil and very flat shooting....Why limit her to an Auto loader? Get her a good Bolt action lol Be cheaper anyway and a better weapon as far as accuracy....No auto loader in the world is gonna be as accurate as a bolt or a single shot...THERES AN IDEA.....Get her (more for you too just use her as an excuse Thumbs up ) a TC Pro Hunter series....Then you will have a HUGE # of caliber choices you can make and if she dont wanna hunt that day you can just slap your barrel on it and go by yaself Big smile Smart cookie aint I Thumbs up
http://www.eabco.com

270 or 280
cam69conv wrote:
sorry I didnt notice the 7400...If you are going to limit yourself to that weapon then I would go 280...Little less kick than the 270...I dont know of any manufacturers that chamber 7mm.08 in an auto loader and Lord knows why....Its a helluva round in my own opinion...Very versitile if you reload, Light recoil and very flat shooting....Why limit her to an Auto loader? Get her a good Bolt action lol Be cheaper anyway and a better weapon as far as accuracy....No auto loader in the world is gonna be as accurate as a bolt or a single shot...THERES AN IDEA.....Get her (more for you too just use her as an excuse Thumbs up ) a TC Pro Hunter series....Then you will have a HUGE # of caliber choices you can make and if she dont wanna hunt that day you can just slap your barrel on it and go by yaself Big smile Smart cookie aint I Thumbs up
http://www.eabco.com

If you flinch because of the recoil then an auto loader may be far more ideal. The autoloading action takes some of the gasses and uses them to load the rifle helping to reduce the felt recoil. For a new shooter this can be far more important than a slight accuracy increase gained in the bolt action, especially since either gun can shoot far more accurately than the shooter themselves can .

As a new shooter myself I chose to go with the Browning BAR Safari Stalker in a .270. I certainly feel the recoil but it is by no means painful and I could literally shoot all day with it and not feel any negative effects. It simply feels like your shoulder is being pushed back a bit. Bolt actions often feel more like your shoulder is being punched instead of pushed, that's a fairly significant difference in how the recoil actually feels.

I should also mention that with my BAR I was able to shoot groups that were not quite MOA @ 100yds. Probably about 1 1/4. I regularly shoot under 2" groups with a variety of ammo. With the most accurate ammo (oddly enough this is the managed recoil ammo) I can fairly consistantly shoot at 1 1/4" groups (5 shot groups). I occassionally get a flier but that is more likely me flinching than any fault of the gun.

I attached a group I fired the other day. I have one flier on it, if you toss that flier out the other 4 shots are all within just about an MOA group. Needless to say I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy of a good autoloading rifle. Keep in mind that I am also a fairly Novice shooter so I'm sure an experienced shooter could get much better groups far more consistantly than I can.

PreviewAttachmentSize
BAR_Target.JPG
BAR_Target.JPG26.28 KB
Don Fischer's picture
270 or 280

Wait a minute. You got yourself a Browning and your getting that lovely and agreeable princess a Remington????? Spam for dinner tonight! Blink

270 or 280
Don Fischer wrote:
Wait a minute. You got yourself a Browning and your getting that lovely and agreeable princess a Remington????? Spam for dinner tonight! Blink

LOL I think you are confusing me with the original poster . I was just responding to the comment about the decreased accuracy in an auto loading rifle while sharing my experiences with the BAR.

While you certainly will get better accuracy in a bolt action rifle that doesn't mean that you don't get good accuracy with an autoloader. Both are entirely sufficient for hunting purposes.

I looked into the remmington a little myself due to the obvious price differences. However I saw a lot of mixed opinions on the remmingtons while anyone who has owned one of the BAR's stated that it was the most accurate autoloading rifle they have ever owned. To me it ultimately was worth the price difference, but that is not the case for everyone.

270 or 280

Thanks for the imput from everyone. The 7mm-08 sounds great. Remington says they might introduce it in 2007 in their autoloaders. I was not aware the 280 had less recoil than the 270. By the way, I do shoot a 1969 Belgium BAR in the 06'. I love it and you are right. She will probably get one to in either 270 or 280.

Chequamegon hunter Thumbs up

270 or 280

Recoil is measure by formula, not calibre. Total weight of rifle is needed, bullet weight in grains, velocity and weight of powder charge are all required.
Something as simple as having your full clip attached or not attached to your rifle changes the Free Energy recoil(remember total weight of firearm) and if there is any solvent or oil in the barrel, it's going to feel like the recoil just jumped about 50 %( acts like hydraulic pressure) but you can't calculate this.
Obviously determining the free energy recoil using a factory load is not possible unless you know the powder charge weight, you must pull the bullet and weigh the charge
No where does calibre(bore diameter) enter into the formula.

270 or 280

Just talking in general Hammer with Factory loaded ammo and with a Bolt 270 and 280 the 270 has a little more kick to it...Now granted if you load up a 130 grain in the 270 and a 160 in the 280 the 280 is gonna thump more but we are talking in general here not specific formulations of the physics of recoil. Both calibers are fine for deer but its gonna be up to your wife which one she likes the most and what she wont be recoil sensitive to. It boils down to, shes gonna have to shoot them to know...Best advise would be to find a buddy that has both calibers and let her shoot them to see which she can handle...Id say get her a bolt action or single action 7mm.08 with her being that little (oops small, gotta be politicly correct) Not pumping the .08 just know that its a fine caliber for deer and hogs and it kicks like a puppy so there wouldnt be any problems from her missing because of recoil flinch. On the single action stand, I LOVE them for 2 reasons, 1. Best action because there are no moving parts to screw up and cause headspace problems and such. 2. It will teach her One Shot One Kill mentality which is the absolute BEST mentality one can have in the woods.