14 replies [Last post]
ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
If you're intent on getting

If you're intent on getting him a 270, then buy a dead sled at the same time. That way, he can shoot all he wants, on the range, without getting pounded by the recoil. Like SoCo said, he won't feel the recoil in a hunting situation. That being said, I would wait a while before I bought a 270 for a 10 yr old. The 243 will definitely do the job. IMO

SoCoKHntr's picture
After

Reading what the others have said I have to concurr. It's been a long time since I've shot a 270, I actually took my first deer with one, but I was fourteen yrs old not ten. I was thinking the recoil was lighter but it is closer to a 30-06 then not. The 243 is the ticket until he puts some more size one. I've killed two mulies with my 243 and it indeed gets the job done.

Well since I already had a

Well since I already had a .270 in the safe, I let him shoot with the managed recoil ammo. He now wants to sell his .243. The managed recoil ammo in the .270 has less recoil than the .243. He managed a 2 inch 4 shot group at 100yds. The bullets have a lot more drop than advertised. They say little to no adjustment from 130 grain but I found that they were about 2" low at 100yds. I will take him to see how the 115 grain bullets do on Axis deer before we leave for New Mexico.

WesternHunter's picture
That should tell you something

Bubba Clunn wrote:

Well since I already had a .270 in the safe, I let him shoot with the managed recoil ammo. He now wants to sell his .243. The managed recoil ammo in the .270 has less recoil than the .243. He managed a 2 inch 4 shot group at 100yds. The bullets have a lot more drop than advertised. They say little to no adjustment from 130 grain but I found that they were about 2" low at 100yds. I will take him to see how the 115 grain bullets do on Axis deer before we leave for New Mexico.

The performance you experienced with those managed recoil cartridges should tell you a lot about how anemic they really are.  I don't see the point of taking something like a .270 Win and dropping the bullet weight down to 100 or 115 grain then lightening the powder load just so you can get a more comfortable shot.  When bullet drop is that signifigant you really are dealing with an underpowered load.  All it does is signifigantly degrade the performance of an otherwise very well performing cartridge at full load.  Might as well just stick with the .243 at full load until he's able to comfortably handle the full powered .270.  Certain cartridges are loaded to their loading for a specific reason, because that's where they perform best at. 

EXAMPLE:  People do this with pistol cartridges all the time.  It's a lot like when people want to carry a 2 inch barreled .45ACP and think they are going to get full performance out of it because "it's a .45". Wrong!! The .45 ACP in 230 grain performs best out of a 5 inch barrel, and performance signifigantly degrades when you get to 4 inch or shorter barrels.  Or when they decide that shooting 185 grain .45 bullets is a good idea because it produces less recoil, they degrade the full potential of a great cartridge.  Same with 9x19mm, for too many years in the USA until the early 1990's that cartridge was loaded by most US factories to be way underpowered and anemic by using a 115 grain bullets traveling at 1000 ft/sec, that's why it got a bad reputation here in the US.  A 9mm performs best at it's original European loading wich is a full powder load with a 124 grain bullet traveling at 1150ft/sec to 1200 ft/sec out of at least a 4 inch barrel.  Rifle cartriges are no different, trying to manage the recoil in most cartridges really reduces the potency and performance of an otherwise great cartridge.  That's how some cartridges get such a bad reputation among shooters.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
ELK vs MULE DEERsgutierrez804/25/2012 09:54 am
Mule Deer eyeguards.bigbucks8501/07/2007 13:13 pm
MULE DEER ???huntin_chick1212/30/2006 14:26 pm
Mule Deer in CORemington742103/14/2010 13:41 pm
New to Mule Deer huntingColorado606/23/2005 12:59 pm